Tall pilot roll call (6'5"+), advice for a beginner

Just bought a 182RG at 6'7" 305 pounds. It works way better than the Cirrus I was flying.

I keep going back and forth between a 182 and a gen 1 cirrus- it’s just a size thing- I’m 6’7” 300 as well. the cirrus work better for my mission, but the 182 seems like it would be more comfortable. I clearly need to find a Cirrus and sit in one- and if possible, fly in one for a bit. But am picking through these older threads to find real world experience.

To the OP- I went to Spartan. At the time, they had da20’s. I took my first flight in it and it looked so cool... but did not work at all- I remember being anxious about whether they’d have a plane for me - and bummed bc holy... those 172’s from the early 80’s looked so beat up. I quickly found out that ramp appeal is my least favorite thing now- I’ve flown too many planes that look beat up but are mechanically great and comfortable and others that look shiny but constantly had me calling the mechanics out. I was 80lbs lighter going through training but never had an issue with the 172.

I'm 6'9" The 172 with an up and down seat should work for training. I can't fly any of the Piper products. or Bonanza. Barron I fit. If fly a Mooney, so you should be fine. I think a Cirrus fits also. Al Mooney was like 6' 3" They are "entertaining" when getting in and out, but fine once you get there. Head on over to Mooneyspace.com

At 6’ 8” I think Ii qualify. Heehee I’ve flown many different models including the age Orem entire day 182 (and 172, 210) in the whole line of Pipers as well. The Commander 112/114 is by far the most comfortable if willing to go with retractable gear. On the twin side, the Aztec has more room than a Lincoln Continental! Hehe For newer aircraft. Thee Cireus does fair well but you get a. Little more headroom if you find an earlier year without the thicker “super soundproofing” and articulated seats.

I learned to fly in C152s. Of course, I started flight training when I was 13 so I wasn’t full grown yet!

At 6'1" I fly the 152 with the seat slid all the way against the stop (at least I don't have to worry about the latches coming loose).

Al Mooney was 6'5" . There's plenty of room in a Mooney, more shoulder room than a Cessna, and more bang for the buck. As noted, you have to like sitting low with your legs in front of you like a sports car as opposed to upright like a station wagon.

I am only 6'1", but I have two sons (one of which is a Commercial pilot) who are 6'5" and 6'7".

Trainers - high wing Cessna 172 / low wing Beech Sundowner.

Complex - high wing Cessna 182 or 206 / low wing Commander 114 or 114B.

For your size, a pilot's side entry door as well as good head room and leg room is a must to be comfortable.

You may want to consider not using a conventional head set but rather an in ear low profile head set such as the Clarity Aloft.

I'm 6'6" and 245 lbs. I love my Socata Trinidad TB-20 for space. I've flown other 'spatious' planes (182's, and Commanders) and each has some plus-minuses. My headset bumps in turbulence, but great leg, shoulder, and headroom in Trinidads!

While not as common, currently in high demand, and higher priced, the Cessna 177 is a great plane for taller pilots. At 6'4", I don't even put the seat all the way back so there should be enough room for you in one. The extra benefit of a wider cabin is nice too plus they look like a sportscar compared to 172's/182's.

6'-4" and 6'-0" co-pilots. Before we got our R182 we sat in most of the GA aircraft, and it fit us best. We've had it to both coasts and FL from Ohio, comfortably. I'm the 6'-4", with a 33" inseam, and she banished me to the back seat one day. It was also quite pleasant, actually.

Jim

PS- Sheepskins will make ANYTHING better! :)

I’m 6’4” and I feel your pain in comfort in general aviation aircraft. I see it’s been a couple of years since your post hopefully you’ve built flight time. Knowing your mission and 150K I think the plane for you is the C210 I love mine. You can find C210 L models in your price range.

Back