Your perfect airplane that does not exist?

I read that the Tecnam P2006 was going to be offered with 915 power. The P2006 with 912s is basically a high wing with C182 fuel burn, C182 Useful Load, and twin redundancy.

I’ve heard that as well. Might be something to look out for. If they spruce it up a little more for cross country touring and add ice protection, that would be a cool!

Short/grass field Cirrus. Able to land and take off from a 2,000 foot grass runway.

To me traveling is several hours in the air at altitude. So I like the low wing for better solar heating in that regard. This also means I’m likely going to an unfamiliar airport so I like the low wing better vis making turns in the pattern. I’ve also come to a few places that didn’t have a ladder or not a tall enough one at the self serve pumps.

my knock around plane would rarely require a fill up away from home. I’d be at lower altitude so the extra shade and ability to open windows or doors is nice. I’m usually going to grass strips or places without set radio frequencies or weather reporting so it’s nice to have a clear view of the ground and to be able to asses runway condition more easily. And when I get there I tend to enjoy sitting under the shade of a wing chatting with good friends.

Berieve BE 103 with a few modest modifications..

-fiki
-air conditioning
-pressurized
-two PW615 instead of the piston engines

Candy apple red with grey and black accents

Very cool, land anywhere plane. I like it. Those Russians have some damn cool planes. The BE103 and the SeaBear L65 are some of my favorite seaplane designs.

Very cool, land anywhere plane. I like it. Those Russians have some damn cool planes. The BE103 and the SeaBear L65 are some of my favorite seaplane designs.
Yes! The Sea Bear is the other one!!

Smaller home built version of the Lear Fan

I was going to say an RV10 isn't too far off @WDD's request except it's a low wing.
Cool. Give me an rv 10 that I can assemble with no fabrication in 3 to 6 months from order kit date to first flight. And toss in ac while you’re at it.

Cool. Give me an rv 10 that I can assemble with no fabrication in 3 to 6 months from order kit date to first flight. And toss in ac while you’re at it.

Well that wasn't in your initial specifications. :D

My previous answer notwithstanding, I don't believe in a perfect airplane, but here are my preferred ones:
  • For VFR fun flights: a two-seater taildragger with, say, 90-120 hp, an electric starter (not a fan of hand propping), and a good heater and wheel skis for winter. The less sh*t in the panel, the better. Flying's not as much fun with a panel full of glowing screens (I might as well just fly my computer).
  • For IFR cross-country as I fly now: I'm pretty happy with my PA-28-161 (and its low operating costs). It lets me complete most of my trips--I have almost a 100% dispatch rate from May to October, and maybe 65% from October to May (this is in Central and Eastern Canada and the U.S. Northeast).
  • For IFR cross-country if I were a Captain of Industry: If needed to make longer trips regularly with an airline-level dispatch rate, and and had the financial means, it would have to be a twin turboprop. There aren't any pistons that are really capable of flying in serious icing conditions -- FIKI on a piston twin (or even a turboprop single) just buys you a little extra escape time.

150kts, 4 normal sized people, 10-ish GPH and under $75k.

150kts, 4 normal sized people, 10-ish GPH and under $75k.
Right! This might be the unicorn. I’d even take less than that! Instead of 150kts, I’d be happy with 135kts. You could spend half your life and build a plans Cozy 4 around that price. Wouldn’t it be nice to have a composite aircraft (similar building techniques of the Long ez) but in a traditional high or low wing configurations that meet your specs? Give it a normal, comfortable cabin and keep things simple with fixed gear. Too bad the Sling TSI starts at double that price. Hell, the avionics they put in there cost $75k..... I need to make more money

Minimums: 230 kt cruise, 1600 lb useful load, 50 kt Vso, 28,000 ft service ceiling, pressurized.

Does it count if 1 was built??

Bellanca Skyrocket ii-
seats 6
2300 empty
4100 gross
222 knot cruise
56 knot stall
45" cabin width
1900fpm climb

They were going to sell kits and pressurization would have been an option. Throw a parachute on it and we've got a winner.

I kinda like the Helio courier notion that was posted hereabouts recently... A bit faster would be nice...

The Beechcraft sierra, but faster.

I always liked the twin commander...

Cherokee 6 for roominess.

A 205 or P206 Cessna...

I'd be quite happy in a C33 Debonair.

Or an E 33 C...

So, just older airframes made faster, wider, lower maintenance, and sexier..

Oh, and AFFORDABLE.

Bellanca Skyrocket ii-
seats 6
2300 empty
4100 gross
222 knot cruise
56 knot stall
45" cabin width
1900fpm climb

They were going to sell kits and pressurization would have been an option. Throw a parachute on it and we've got a winner.
Holy crap I want one!

Bellanca Skyrocket ii-
seats 6
2300 empty
4100 gross
222 knot cruise
56 knot stall
45" cabin width
1900fpm climb

Yes!! That plane was insanely impressive. How nobody picked up the production on it is beyond me. With that 435hp geared turbo Continental, it put down some crazy numbers including a monster 2200NM range (or something like that)

Last edited:
An RV10 with FIKI and a turbocharger that I have the Repairman’s Certificate for.

Price factor minimal given maintainability.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Sportsman 2+2 with a DeltaHawk turbo diesel
I wrote my thesis about how diesel aircraft engines were the future in aviation and a solution to the end of 100LL. That was in 2004-2005 and Deltahawk was in my study. Even back then it was “ready for certification next quarter”. When the hell is that company going to sell engines!

Cessna 185RG... with expandable wheel wells for phat tahrs.

I wrote my thesis about how diesel aircraft engines were the future in aviation and a solution to the end of 100LL. That was in 2004-2005 and Deltahawk was in my study. Even back then it was “ready for certification next quarter”. When the hell is that company going to sell engines!
Probably when they make economic sense, and not before. Gas in Canada and the U.S. is too cheap (relatively speaking) to justify the huge investment in a diesel conversion for an older plane (and most of our planes are closing on or past the half century), and as I understand it, diesel has a relatively-short TBR compared to our petrol engines, which can go 3,000 hours between overhauls with a combination of care and luck.

If 100LL disappears due to environmentalism or capitalism (my bet is on free-market capitalism killing it first, because it's a tiny and high-maintenance line of business for the big oil companies, with a thin and fragile supply chain), then diesel engines will suddenly become much more attractive on this continent.

I'll start this off. I have an old plane and love it but also enjoy shopping (dreaming) of my next aircraft. I feel there are gaps in the market with lots of room for improvements. Taking price out of the equation, what is your realistic dream airplane (as in could be kit built or manufactured)?
Mine would be a highwing, twin engine turbocharged (Rotax 915 power), four seat plus bags, and de-iced. Possibly doing 180-185kts+ and 800NM range, easy to get in/out of. Think, mini Turbine Commander! Closest thing to my perfect plane would be the DA62 but lacks the highwing design and the 915s.
From your picture it looks like you already have about the best all around perfect plane!

I'd be happy with an affordable engine replacement cost (typical lyc or conti models). or a plug and play slide-in mini turboprop replacement. :)
Plug and pay, to be sure. Once at installation, then at every [frequent] fillup.

Bellanca Skyrocket ii-
seats 6
2300 empty
4100 gross
222 knot cruise
56 knot stall
45" cabin width
1900fpm climb

Holy crap I want one!

The Piper M350 isn't all that far off. :cool:

Seats 6
3050 empty
4358 gross
213 knot cruise
58 knot stall
1343 nm range
25,000 ft service ceiling, pressurized

But today the market for this class of piston airplane seems limited given the turboprop version of this same basic airframe consistently outsells the piston version at least 2:1 every year.

With a philanthropist friend paying for gas, maintenance, and insurance I assume? Operating a TBM850 would bankrupt me pretty fast even if I won it for free in a draw.
If it was "perfect" it would operate for much cheaper too in a dream world

The Piper M350 isn't all that far off. :cool:

Seats 6
3050 empty
4358 gross
213 knot cruise
58 knot stall
1343 nm range
25,000 ft service ceiling, pressurized

But today the market for this class of piston airplane seems limited given the turboprop version of this same basic airframe consistently outsells the piston version at least 2:1 every year.
The kit possibility is what got me. Granted this was some time back but the kit was going to be $75k and then you added the engine and avionics. Sign me up. An M350 is what...$1.something million?

Back