Sonex down on first flight

I seen this over on the Sonex group. Makes me sad for the family and a bit upset at the release of accident photos with the pilot still in the wreckage ...

There are indications the pilot was aware the engine had issues prior to the flight and the tower notified him it was making smoke on takeoff.

These first flight crashes are sadly not rare, and in this case it appears the outcome need not have occurred. The pilot's son was at the airport, and for whatever reason was unable to prevent the flight from happening.

These first flight crashes are sadly not rare...
To put some numbers on this....

My 1998-2019 homebuilt accident database shows 183 first-flight accidents. I define "first flight accidents" either by the NTSB investigator identifying them as such, or the airplane has two or fewer hours at the time of the accident (to accommodate tach time rung up during ground testing or the accident occurring at the end of the flight. 183 accidents over a 22-year span leaves an average of a bit over eight first flight accidents per year; about 4% of the homebuilt accidents every year.

Balance that, of course, against how many new homebuilts are added to the registry in a given year. In the last ~20 years, the average has been about 1,000 aircraft each year (not counting formerly deregistered planes returned to the registry).

So, about 0.83% of new homebuilts crash on their first flight. Less than one in a hundred.

Ron Wanttaja

There are indications the pilot was aware the engine had issues prior to the flight and the tower notified him it was making smoke on takeoff.

I had read that there was a known engine concern that was being dealt with (or not) but I didn't know that the tower had seen it also.

From what I read he was a really great guy and was a valuable asset to the promotion of aviation. Don't know the details of why this unfolded the way it did. It's very sad nonetheless.

Horribly sorry to read this, and even moreso to see the photos. Those should have been blurred or remain unposted. From the article and comments, he did a lot to promote aviation and support fellow aviators. Condolences to Mr. Kirkpatrick's family, and may he rest in peace.

To put some numbers on this....

My 1998-2019 homebuilt accident database shows 183 first-flight accidents. I define "first flight accidents" either by the NTSB investigator identifying them as such, or the airplane has two or fewer hours at the time of the accident (to accommodate tach time rung up during ground testing or the accident occurring at the end of the flight. 183 accidents over a 22-year span leaves an average of a bit over eight first flight accidents per year; about 4% of the homebuilt accidents every year.

Balance that, of course, against how many new homebuilts are added to the registry in a given year. In the last ~20 years, the average has been about 1,000 aircraft each year (not counting formerly deregistered planes returned to the registry).

So, about 0.83% of new homebuilts crash on their first flight. Less than one in a hundred.

Ron Wanttaja
Was looking at some of the crashes involving RV's...and there are some weird ones. Lots from Brazil. One that sticks out was an RV10 in georgia. Owner was unlicensed. Had multiple alcohol related traffic stops. Then took 4 other young people (early 20's) for a joyride. All were killed.
http://www.kathrynsreport.com/2017/02/vans-rv10-n122wk-fatal-accident.html?m=1

183 accidents over a 22-year span leaves an average of a bit over eight first flight accidents per year; about 4% of the homebuilt accidents every year.

Eight first flight accidents per year certainly qualifies as "not rare".

I agree with you that this is not a new problem.

look at the world we live in. Things have not changed in 2000 years. Money overrides moral values most of the time
Read a newspaper account of an accident from a century ago. They will describe all injuries in the most gruesome detail. "If it bleeds, it leads". Besides, the "morality" of it is up for discussion.

I saw the pics, they should take them down. While they are not gory, you can see the poor guy's arm and shoulder in there and I'm sure it would be disturbing to the family. RIP.

Edit, I looked at the linked articles and those pics weren't there, so I sent a note to Kathryn's report asking them to remove or blur the pics. This is not right.

Last edited:
It does appear that these photos have been removed. Thanks to many in this group for your compassion and thanks to whomever is responsible for having them taken down.

Back