Just trying to get home..

AKBill

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
AKBill
Boy this round has me on edge. After surgery on eye, Tami and I are trying to get home. Well I can't fly because of the pressure differential on my eye. Surgeon says take the ferry back to Alaska.

OK, ferry booked. Oh, storm in gulf of Alaska delays the ferry out of Bellingham, WA. Ferry now leaves 24 hours later. The problem with that is you need to provide a negative COVID test taken no sooner than 72 hours before departure.

Now we need to find a place to get a C-19 test on Christmas eve, 12/24. All the testing locations are closed 12/24,25.

Tomorrow will be fun juggling C-19 testing hotels and rental cars.... Tami says if I **** her off she is dropping me off at the ferry and flying home...:eek:

On top of all that we have a $2000 3 day boat ride with a berth and need to rent pillows and blankets...:mad2::mad2:

Oh my goodness Bill. Isn't everybody on that delayed ferry in the same situation regarding the C-19 test? What's everyone else doing?

Oh my goodness Bill. Isn't everybody on that delayed ferry in the same situation regarding the C-19 test? What's everyone else doing?
Not sure, customer service closed till the morning 8am.

Not sure, customer service closed till the morning 8am.

Winter travel; what a joy.
I'd discuss with the ferry company. Is this a passenger ferry, or a freight haul with some berths?

I heard the coast where you are, got walloped with a storm last night. Even some snow in places out there? :eek:

Winter travel; what a joy.
I'd discuss with the ferry company. Is this a passenger ferry, or a freight haul with some berths?
The Alaska Marine Highway is a system of ferry ships. They are really car, truck ferry's that have berths if you are willing to pay for them. Otherwise you can bring a tent, sleeping bag or what ever and camp out in covered areas...:lol::lol:

I'm so sick of trying to stay ahead of everything. Tami and I have spent the last 6 out of 8 weeks in motels Thanks for the well wishes... Back at you and your family

Understandable. But you want to get good medical attention for your eye, so hard as it is keep your focus on the long term goal (no pun intended). :)

Everyone who's bringing a car or truck in that boat will have the same 72-hour C-19 test issue I imagine, so maybe the ferry company office will be of some assistance in the morning. Good luck!

I'm so sick of trying to stay ahead of everything. Tami and I have spent the last 6 out of 8 weeks in motels Thanks for the well wishes... Back at you and your family
Had we known that we could help.. we are just the road, but what can we help with now.

DEC
Schedule Update: Kennicott delayed departure due to weather
The Kennicott will be delayed leaving Prince William Sound until 12-23-20 due to hurricane force wind and seas in the gulf. The ship will sail non revenue from Cordova to Valdez and will lay over at the City Dock in Valdez. No passengers or vehicles will be able to board. Please note that arrival/departure times in Bellingham are listed as AST.

Had we known that we could help.. we are just the road, but what can we help with now.
Thanks Tom, not much anyone can do. Mother nature is not being kind to us. We are in the wait and see mode now

need you one of these........

JK, wish I could help u.........

DEC
Schedule Update: Kennicott delayed departure due to weather
The Kennicott will be delayed leaving Prince William Sound until 12-23-20 due to hurricane force wind and seas in the gulf. The ship will sail non revenue from Cordova to Valdez and will lay over at the City Dock in Valdez. No passengers or vehicles will be able to board. Please note that arrival/departure times in Bellingham are listed as AST.

Thanks Tom, not much anyone can do. Mother nature is not being kind to us. We are in the wait and see mode now
Where are you this morning?

May get home quicker if you just drove up through Canada!
That border has been closed for months. Only essential traffic allowed through, mostly heavy trucks. Only way in for ordinary folks is airline.

No roads to Juneau, at some point you would need to get on a ferry to get there. Rental car return might be an issue.....:rolleyes:

I was thinking more along the lines of buy a cheap car for $2-3K (as opposed to the $2K ferry boat) and sell it once you get back. I honestly didn't know that you couldn't get to Juneau via road, never really thought about it.

Is this a passenger ferry, or a freight haul with some berths

It is NOT a cruise ship, I tell ya what. No bar, no thrills, no frills, and did I mention no bar.??

First time I rode the ferry in Alaska, the on board food was so bad I snuck down to my truck and got my survival food out. Last 2 times on the ferry I took my own bottle of rum. Ice is available on board, bring quarters. And I still got off the ferry at Ketchikan and bought food at the A&P Grocery Store.

Riding the ferry into Alaska is an adventure, like falling into a sewage tank adventure. It is sort of a right of passage for folks going to southeast AK. But I am sure Bill would rather take Alaska Airlines first class to get home.

We have appointments in Bellingham today, was hoping we could hook up for lunch..
That would be nice, we really need to quarantine till we get our C19 test and are assured we can get on ferry.

Maybe we can hook up in the upcoming months, I'll be back down for at least 1 more surgery. Have a good Christmas..

Nothing to add, except maybe hang out in Washington for another month, and I'm sure you already thought of that. Wishing you the very best with your recovery, and for the new year!

Bill, wish I was in the area - when you're ready, I'd fly you home. Flying up to Juneau low and slow for a good cause sounds like an adventure.

Unfortunately, I'm on the east coast. By the time I could get there, I bet you could have walked home. And there's that whole "can't fly in Canada thing"....the canadian medical thread reminded me of that.

Bill, I’m sorry to hear the trouble you’re having. I wish I had some advice to offer, but I hope you’re able to get things worked out and can get home soon.

Keep us posted!

2 words, barefoot bandit...

Bill, wish I was in the area - when you're ready, I'd fly you home. Flying up to Juneau low and slow for a good cause sounds like an adventure.

Sounds more like suicide, especially at this time of year. Some of the world's worst weather is found along the west coast of BC and Alaska. It's so bad that sections of it have lower VFR minima so that flying is legal a little more often. The mountains drop straight into the ocean along much of the coast, with nearly nowhere for a safe forced landing.

WBAS-hero4-1024x463.jpg

I was thinking more along the lines of buy a cheap car for $2-3K (as opposed to the $2K ferry boat) and sell it once you get back. I honestly didn't know that you couldn't get to Juneau via road, never really thought about it.
You can't drive to Juneau, but there are new car dealerships there. :)

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

That would be nice, we really need to quarantine till we get our C19 test and are assured we can get on ferry.

Maybe we can hook up in the upcoming months, I'll be back down for at least 1 more surgery. Have a good Christmas..
Understand.. be safe ! and you too

I'm aware of both the landscape and the weather. Obviously there's go/no go involved.

FAA has a lot of weather cams - https://avcams.faa.gov/ . The weather today was very flyable, but predicted to deteriorate.

Doesn't matter, it's hypothetical for me.

I'm aware of both the landscape and the weather. Obviously there's go/no go involved.

FAA has a lot of weather cams - https://avcams.faa.gov/ . The weather today was very flyable, but predicted to deteriorate.

Doesn't matter, it's hypothetical for me.
Sure would be nice to fly low and slow home. I have made the trip before. Left out of SEA TAC in my Sport, 2 stops to Juneau. Flight time was around 9 hours. It was funny ground at SEA TAC put me on a parallel taxi way and I passed about 10 airliners. Got to the runway and departed #1.

Sounds as painful as a fork in the eye, but you’ve already been through that. Best of luck to you getting home soon.

Bill, I’m on Mercer Island. We’re social distancing but you guys could join us for lunch around the fire pit Saturday if you want a change of pace and some company.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bill, I’m on Mercer Island. We’re social distancing but you guys could join us for lunch around the fire pit Saturday if you want a change of pace and some company.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks, I'll PM you with phone number.

Find a pirate ship, have them smuggle you up.

I saw Covid testing at the Denver airport yesterday, the line was 10 deep.

Good luck on getting back, surely no reason to want to stay near downtown Seattle now.

Officially on the boat to Juneau and under way... thought I would post before loosing signal. Met POA member yesterday and had a chance to chat with him and his wife. Very nice folks. Take care @MIFlyer Derek thanks again for having us over

Back