Need ADSB, what will work with Garmin GNS530W

Used GDL88 units seen on fleabay for reasonable prices.
Will a GDL 88 :
1 need to have a new new antennae installed?
2 have WiFi or Bluetooth to link an iPad to show traffic ?

Will a GDL 88 :
1 need to have a new new antennae installed?
2 have WiFi or Bluetooth to link an iPad to show traffic ?
1. Yes
2. It will need to have an FS210 added, an extra $1200 plus install, but you will also get flight plan transfer to/from GNS430W/530W.

GTX345 has BT built in but does not have flight plan transfer without adding the FS210. It is less expensive to install a GTX 345 from a labor point of view and can be a wash when you consider all expenses.

I am not aware of any $600 portable solution that can be moved from plane to plane that meets the certification requirements for ADS-B Out. My understanding is the installation for Out has to be a "permanent" installation in the airplane and you can't just pick it up and move it to another rental airplane.
I have a 330es out that just came out of my plane. I opted to throw in a 345 so I could get data on the 530. If you don't need that, this transponder is great for out.

I despise giving Garmin money all while maintaining their inflated prices and virtual monopoly in the space. ADSB out was a disgusting scam.

I’ve purchased used avionics a bit with fortune. The display on the 430 and 530 are mediocre, at best. The limitations are substantial, including the number of targets. I refuse to be a fanboy and pay for the GTN’s.

For regular radios, I still have SL30’s in two of my airplanes.

I was able to find a reasonably priced GTX345. Nice that it has Bluetooth, and interfaces fine with a GMX200. Waas is provided by CNX80’s/gNs480’s.

I have an airplane where I installed a GDL88. The monstruous number of cables made install a hassle, but it’s integrated with the CNX80 and the 430-it works. The display on the garmin MFD’s are adequate, but not as good as an IPAD, obviously. The gdl88 was purchased for $1200, though some resellers of used equipment on these boards like to gouge buyers, unfortunately.

The installation of an FS210 may seem reasonable to those that usually spend lots of AMUs, but overpriced in my opinion.

I have an airplane with ADSB out using a tailbeacon ($1500, and a couple of wires to install). Perfectly fine implementation, and with a GDL39 for $300-400, or ForeFlight scout for $150 or other similar ADSB in solutions, display things as well as one can.

I installed a navworx ads600b ($200-500 used) in an airplane which provided ADSB in and out. Not difficult and adequate in an MX20/GMX200 sort of world as well. What happened to that company was a tragedy, but the systems still work for adsb-in under the Amoc.

I’d rather give my money to avidyne /l3 anyday. The L3 NGT is a nice solution by all measures with a dedicated display.

In regards to replacing failed transponders without ADSB out, you can find used SL70’s for 100-400 and KT76’s in the $100-300 space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The solution which offers the greatest level of integration would be to add a GTX 345 to the panel. Not inexpensive, but still the best, arguably, or among the best (inarguably.) If you own Garmin avionics, it should take a pretty compelling value proposition to pull you out of their product ecosystem. Since you already have the "big screen" 530W, why not take advantage of it? In my view the cost of installing the Lynx product isn't significantly less, and what you lose in terms of integration isn't worth what you gain, namely the the slick touchscreen display. Since it isn't compelling, and your total investment outlay is in reasonably the same neck of the woods as the GTX345, I'd go with the latter.

I'm possibly biased, as I have a GTN650 and GTX345 combo, which I think is outstanding. But I fly (okay, "ride in" as a pilot examiner) every combo under the sun on a regular basis. The NGT-9000 is really nice; I like the display and being able to "swipe" to different screens is nifty, though I almost always leave it on the traffic display. But the unavoidable problem is that it doesn't talk to Garmin products. As such I rarely see that device in airplanes with GNS or GTN Navigators. Those operators tend to keep the stack all-Garmin.

I really like the GTN650 + GTX345 combo. That is what they have in the trainers I fly in, except one has a G650+Stratus. I have been using iPad a lot but want to start using it more secondary - the issue with iPad is where to put it, keeping it on and active to speak traffic to me through my headset, battery life and temperature of the iPad. G650 is super easy to program with the touch screen. I just love it so that’s also why I thought the Lynx would add more benefits having another nice touch screen on the panel. Time for Garmin to make a comparable product to the Lynx.

Another trainer I use has a GTN430 which I find difficult to use, because of the turn knobs and it’s also difficult to view the screen (probably because it’s old), so usually my instructor just does it for me. So when I see an airplane with a GTN430 for sale I usually get a bit sad as I would prefer a GTN650/750. Or better yet what’s the next best thing.

Yes, traffic is displayed on my 430W. Bear in mind that the 430/530 series will only display a maximum of 8 targets. It's not often of significance, but the limit is baked into the 430/530 units. Your EFB and the NGT-9000 traffic display does not have this limitation. I find I look at the NGT-9000 display for traffic--as it is a better display and is nicely color coded for threat level. And the ATAS is really nice. When the warning voice comes on, you are REALLY close to a conflict.

For maximum compatibility with the GNS430, you should certainly consider the GTX345. I obtained quotes for both the GTX345 and NGT-9000. The NGT-9000 was significantly less expensive to acquire and install. Plus Lynx is much less picky about who can be a dealer, so it is more likely you can find someone nearby to do the install. The mechanic who was doing my annuals started installing NGT-9000s and he has done a whole bunch of them, so the install price did not include his learning on my nickel. FWIW, it took the nearest Garmin dealer over a month to get back to me. I guess they didn't want my business that much. My mechanic was able to do the NGT-9000 install during my annual inspection. And I swapped out my faulty unit while I waited, about an hour, including re-testing the transponder.

If you go with the NGT-9000, you might want to consider moving it to near the top of your stack, so you can interact with the screen easier. I usually have the NGT-9000 set up with the traffic screen on the left and the weather screen on the right (see image).
View attachment 92659

Beautiful and clean panel! The 430 looks brand new.

Debated about hijacking this thread vs starting another one, but I am in a very similar situation to the OP.

I have a GNS-530W and a GNS-430 (non-WAAS) in the Aztec, and am also contemplating ADS-B options.
I currently use Foreflight with a little FF "Scout" ADS-B In receiver.
Current transponder is a well used King KT76A.

Big picture plan: Rework the center stack including a) removing the inop King ADF, b) install a new audio panel with integral 6-place intercom (leaning to the PS Engineering 450B), c) install the long overdue Flightstream 210, d) install a (currently undefined) ADS-B solution.

Preferences:
  • No motivation at this time to replace the GNS 530/430 boxes with either a GTN 650/750 or Avidyne. Not enough incremental functionality over the GNS capability for the flying I do to justify the cost at this point in time - if one of them quits I'll probably look at the Avidyne option at that time. The FS-210 will eliminate a lot of the knob twisting.
  • Considered the GDL-88 but don't really want to spend that money and then have the aging KT76A transponder quit and have to replace it. So a replacement transponder seems almost inevitable. When I pull out the King transponder I can use it to spare the same model that is in the Husky as I don't need or intend to install ADS-B in that plane.
  • Prefer not to have an ADS-B solution that has its own WAAS GPS if it requires another GPS antenna on the plane - I already have two GPS antennas, prefer to avoid adding a third and would like to use the 530W as the position source instead.
  • Not fussed if traffic and weather not available on the 430 or 530 screens. I tend to have the default nav page up on the 530 most of the time in the air. Screen resolution isn't comparable to the iPad for that sort of stuff imo.
  • Must have the ADS-B traffic and weather on the iPad, the way I have now with the FF Scout receiver.
  • Barring a failure of one of the GNS boxes this is likely to be the last significant center stack investment the Aztec will receive while I am the owner of the plane (figure 10 more years), so I am going to spend more than the absolute minimum needed to comply with ADS-B Out only.
Have been leaning to the GTX 335 or GTX 345 solution. The desire not to add another GPS antenna seems to be forcing me in the direction of Garmin.

What would you folks do?

Do I understand you have an NGT-9000 that "talks" to your 430W and displays the ADS-B traffic (closest 8 targets) on that screen as well as the touchscreen on the Lynx?

If you don’t need weather or traffic on your 530, there is always the tailbeacon adsb out. They are less than $2000 and a simple 10 minute install supposedly. For Lynx there is also lower models 2000/2500 I believe with adsb in/out but they are just a box you install and hide somewhere. You can continue to keep your adsb receiver for foreflight if your adsb solution does not have adsb in with connection to foreflight. The GTX345 is nice but like some users said will run you $7000 installed. If you don’t want weather or traffic on the 530w then the Lynx ngt9000 will provide a nice quality screen to your panel for the price of your GTX345.

Does your adsb receiver provide attitude information as well on your foreflight or is that only if connected via a GTX345? Not that I would use the iPad for attitude but am just wondering.

My question is why is installation so expensive for avionics. If you have a GTN650 at 12k, my club was telling me to expect the same price for the installation costs. Does that mean 24k for a 650? I guess buy a plane that has the avionics that I want since they usually only add the value of the avionics but not the install costs, from what I saw (I could be wrong).

Like I said....$7000 for the 345 or $600 for the Stratus. If it's my cherokee on the rental line, it's probably going to be used as a trainer, and I'm not going to spend $7000 for it to be beat up by beginners. The ROI is just not there. On the other hand, Cirri are going for $250/hr and up around here, so it might be financially viable but it depends on the hourly expenses.

The solution, of course, is for you to buy and airplane and trick it out with the avionics you want.

A lot of people require good avionics these days and trainers with them will get more people and at higher rates. I even see some Cessnas with a G1000, haven’t tried them yet as I want to focus on the original 6 pack but I guess I could try it now to learn something new.

My bad....the Stratus is IN, and portable.

I meant the Uavionix for out, is $2000 and perhaps an hour of installation. And the Stratus for In. Less than $3000 compared to more than $7000 is still a big chunk for a rental trainer.

I was quoted $1800 installed for Uavionix out.

The ADS-B/transponder question is not a simple one to answer. One must juggle lots of variables to arrive at a sensible solution, and each owner will weight variables differently. These considerations include but are not limited to:
  • 1090ES or UAT? (UAT not usable in Canada or above FL180)
  • In panel or portable for ADS-B in? (How much do you value not having loose wires in the cockpit, and having to set up every time?)
  • Integration with both current and future avionics?
  • Reliability or replacement time of current transponder?
  • Cost of acquisition and installation?
My priorities included in-panel FIS-B for neatness and integration and 1090ES, being close to Canada. Also at least some compatibility with the 430 and a future upgrade to an IFD440 when the 430 dies. Finally, I didn't see keeping my AT50A transponder as a long term option for the transponder. Price was a consideration but not a showstopper. The decision tree basically led to a GTX345 or NGT-9000. The NGT-9000 was quicker and significantly less expensive installed. YMMV.

Back