Part 141, from 61.

PilotMedic865

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
PilotMedic865
I completed my private pilot part 61 back on Oklahoma. Since moving I’ve joined an Air Force Aero Club who offers a part 141 instrument course for $5100 in a Piper Warrior 3, or $6300 in a Turbo Arrow. I’m going to do it and use my Post-911 gi bill to pay for it. As someone who came up under 61, and was actually trying to build Xc pic time (20ish hours) what can I expect when doing 141?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can expect your GI bill $ to run out before your complete the course. The GI benefits only pay to the 141 syllabus hours.

Each lesson and stage will have specific performance requirements for progression and it is not unusual for a student with lower experience to require training beyond the 141 hours. In a military aero club you can expect to grade CFIs. Study and fly as often as you can. Skip the Arrow.

It has been 25+ years since I did that for my instrument rating. What I did was proceeded through the 141 course until I had the hours to meet the part 61 requirements. Then I got my instructor to sign me off for a checkride under part 61. Paid for the checkride out of my pocket and was done.

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

I fly a 160 HP Cherokee and a Turbo Arrow. The Arrow is a nice instrument platform and because of its higher speed, you may be able to get in more approaches in the same amount of time. If you plan on buying/flying a retract then the 40 hours in the Arrow will help with insurance. The Cherokee and Warrior are slow so use it to build cross-country time on your own.

If you are not already familiar with using MP, RPM, and a turbo it might add a couple of hours to your training. e.g On the approach you need to set MP and RPM and watch for over-boost at different parts of the approach so it takes a bit more mental activity than just adjusting RPM.

Back