Thinking about LS Swapping the Discovery

The guys over at Hoonigan were doing a Cummins swap into a Disco, but haven't seen any updates on it lately.

Might at least provide something tangible to chew on.

The guys over at Hoonigan were doing a Cummins swap into a Disco, but haven't seen any updates on it lately.

Might at least provide something tangible to chew on.

Yeah, that's the swap I was referring to. I thought it was completed but I could be wrong.

I do like the idea and I think even though it's less power than the 4.0 (figure a bit more with a tune) the power is in a better RPM band so it would be more enjoyable to drive. But like I said, cost.

I've thought about doing an LS swap in the Jeep TJ if/when the I6 4.0 ever bites the dust. Of course, that will probably happen about the time my oldest is ready to drive, so maybe a higher HP engine isn't the best idea after all....

I've thought about doing an LS swap in the Jeep TJ if/when the I6 4.0 ever bites the dust. Of course, that will probably happen about the time my oldest is ready to drive, so maybe a higher HP engine isn't the best idea after all....

The thing with the 4.0 I6 is that it's a very reliable (albeit inefficient) engine, and I've found makes sufficient power/torque in its applications. Sure an LS would make more, but the 4.0 is adequate.

In the case of the Discovery, the engine is the trifecta of bad. It's unreliable, makes insufficient power, and gets bad mileage. Not that I'm worried about mileage, but good mileage would at least make the other two areas feel a bit more tolerable.

Now, I do like the 4.0 as an engine because it's a compact, lightweight V8 that when uncorked makes a good sound, but it belongs in a less stressed application, or else put in an application where reliability is an acceptable sacrifice for weight and the power output is adequate for what it's in. A lot of people like to use these engines for V8 swaps into RX-7s, Miatas, MGs, etc. - it's a perfect fit for those (no I don't want to throw this engine in the RX-7). But a 5,000+ lb SUV? No, it's just not the right engine.

My spirit animal:

giphy.gif
I *asked* my wife to nag me into completing some of my half finished projects, especially before I take on new ones. Since I asked that (24 hours), I've indeed gotten an in progress project nearly done (tree fort), but have researched another project car, planned a brake replacement on the wife's car, decided to replace the tires on my uncle's trailer, and continue on my other projects. I'd call it a mixed bag.

Reactions: Ted
I *asked* my wife to nag me into completing some of my half finished projects, especially before I take on new ones. Since I asked that (24 hours), I've indeed gotten an in progress project nearly done (tree fort), but have researched another project car, planned a brake replacement on the wife's car, decided to replace the tires on my uncle's trailer, and continue on my other projects. I'd call it a mixed bag.

There's a certain level of busy-ness that my brain aims for. Above that it gets upset. Below that it gets bored.

The thing with the 4.0 I6 is that it's a very reliable (albeit inefficient) engine, and I've found makes sufficient power/torque in its applications. Sure an LS would make more, but the 4.0 is adequate.

In the case of the Discovery, the engine is the trifecta of bad. It's unreliable, makes insufficient power, and gets bad mileage. Not that I'm worried about mileage, but good mileage would at least make the other two areas feel a bit more tolerable.

Now, I do like the 4.0 as an engine because it's a compact, lightweight V8 that when uncorked makes a good sound, but it belongs in a less stressed application, or else put in an application where reliability is an acceptable sacrifice for weight and the power output is adequate for what it's in. A lot of people like to use these engines for V8 swaps into RX-7s, Miatas, MGs, etc. - it's a perfect fit for those (no I don't want to throw this engine in the RX-7). But a 5,000+ lb SUV? No, it's just not the right engine.

Don't get me wrong - there is absolutely nothing practical about putting an LS in a Jeep. :) In fact, a crate 4.6 Stroker would be a better fit, but what's the fun in that!? I've even seen a couple of folks putting Cummins diesels in Jeeps. Not sure I have the patience to get those bugs worked out though.

My spirit animal:

We want to get you back to this version: :D

Airplane! (2).jpg

Tell your wife that when a man says he's going to do something, he'll get it done. He doesn't need to be reminded very 6 months.

Don't get me wrong - there is absolutely nothing practical about putting an LS in a Jeep. :) In fact, a crate 4.6 Stroker would be a better fit, but what's the fun in that!? I've even seen a couple of folks putting Cummins diesels in Jeeps. Not sure I have the patience to get those bugs worked out though.

I've seen a few people doing the R2.8 swap, which I think is fairly ideally suited to something like a CJ/TJ/whateverJ. But yeah, there are still absolutely bugs that need to get worked out.

Looking at the options, of course if I change transmissions I'd prefer a manual. But the 6L80E is probably a pretty good choice. Has a taller overdrive and a deeper first gear with good spacing. That paired to a 4.8 would be a nice improvement to the vehicle all around.

We want to get you back to this version: :D

View attachment 92657

I get that, and am working on that some in the background. But there's also a lot of stuff going on around the homestead (even more than I post on PoA, believe it or not) and I need to get a few things taken care of before I think about that too much.

I've seen a few people doing the R2.8 swap, which I think is fairly ideally suited to something like a CJ/TJ/whateverJ. But yeah, there are still absolutely bugs that need to get worked out.

Looking at the options, of course if I change transmissions I'd prefer a manual. But the 6L80E is probably a pretty good choice. Has a taller overdrive and a deeper first gear with good spacing. That paired to a 4.8 would be a nice improvement to the vehicle all around.

Just go with Atlas twin-stick transfer case and never look back. :D

Just go with Atlas twin-stick transfer case and never look back. :D

A twin-stick is very much on my list of things I want in a vehicle one day. 6x4 would be ideal.

They make kits that let you convert a standard 13/15/18 speed into a three-stick, basically having sticks to actuate the air valves for the hi/lo range and overdrive. I like the complexity involved with operating one of those but given how I love the mechanical feeling of actually moving gears, I feel like that would be less satisfying.

A twin-stick is very much on my list of things I want in a vehicle one day. 6x4 would be ideal.

They make kits that let you convert a standard 13/15/18 speed into a three-stick, basically having sticks to actuate the air valves for the hi/lo range and overdrive. I like the complexity involved with operating one of those but given how I love the mechanical feeling of actually moving gears, I feel like that would be less satisfying.

Ted, do you know about the Mitsubishi twin stick cars? Even though it is Japanese, one like this would be an interesting car:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1980-plymouth-champ/

Back