Aviation Goals for 2021

wayne

Pattern Altitude
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
wayne
As we are now wrapping up 2020, thank goodness, we can start looking ahead to 2021. Yes, it will be a foggy year for our crystal balls, but at least this time we know that versus the surprise we got early this year.

So, what are you hoping to accomplish in 2021?

Hoping to start flying again after a medical issue and 4 years off.

I'm planning on continuing to travel. I plan on continuing to do Angel Flight missions. Not sure if I'll get 15 in again in 2021 like I did in 2020 though; between my partners flying more and that darn work thing.

Early in the year I figure more Angel Flight missions as the weather is not that great for doing things so we may not travel as much. But as the weather warms we'll start doing weekend trips. Later if the vaccines really put a stop or a hard slow-down on COVID we may be able to do bigger trips. I'd like to do the one up to New York that we couldn't do this year. See some horse racing at Saratoga, visit relatives, then swing by and visit friends in the northeast. If we really get luck on the timing swing through Ohio on the way back to see the Western & Southern tennis tournament in Cincinnati and maybe see a little of Cincy too.

The other big trip is flying out to Albuquerque in October to see the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta. Our youngest may be in the Dallas area, and if so we'll stop by and see her.

We'll visit the youngest by Cirrus if she's close enough, another option for her is in California, so that would be a commercial flight. We'll visit the middle daughter in Lexington as well. The oldest lives here in town, so no flying to visit her.

I'm also hoping that we can get some $100 Hamburger trips set-up as well as maybe some sight seeing day-trips. Maybe the Tuskegee Airmen museum at Tuskegee, or the USS Alabama in Mobile.

Largely I want to fly a bunch, have fun and stay safe.

Already have commercial and instrument. Would like to finally get the multi this year.

Also begin to travel. I've never done an overnighter with a plane before in over 40 years of flying since I don't own my own plane. I can do it with this club plane. Just have to get my wife on board.

Start competing in IAC again. Last step is buying a parachute. Hope to resolve that in next two weeks.

Assuming covid gets tamped down and things open back up again, I'm looking forward to stretching the legs on the new bird.

I'm going to have about 140hrs in 2020, but that included doing an IR, so i think 100 is a relatively realistic goal for 2021. Id also like to remain instrument current and proficient, and probably do a wings phase.

Now that i have a retract, I'm tempted to start on commercial, but that might make a better 2022 goal.

In 2021 I want to be able to fly to reunite with family and friends at large gatherings again. My favorite airshows, the Reno air races, maybe Oshkosh...

I'll be 79 in June and want to make a solo round trip from California to Florida visiting friends and family along the way. After that, I'll do a post-mortem evaluating my performance on the trip and decide whether to quit flying or maybe limit my flying to a radius of 300-400 miles. I need to acknowledge some decline in cognition because of my age and decide if I can continue to fly safely. In 56 years of flying I've never been involved in an incident, accident, or pilot deviation and want to maintain that record.

I want to fly a blimp

Also osh would be fun to do again.
Hope that happens

I want to build multi time if possible. not all that exciting, I know, but I doubled up on 2020 goals so 2021 is a little thin.

I want to build multi time if possible. not all that exciting, I know, but I doubled up on 2020 goals so 2021 is a little thin.

Have you had your multi or got it last year? I know you did your instrument last year, or was that '19?

Not all that exciting? Hey there's nothing finer than doing an approach to minimums, in the mountains, at night, with only one engine, and partial panel. ;)

To be able to go to Canada for fun. Oshkosh would be nice. Doing more than 100 hours in the bonanza would be awesome.

nah. nobody really cares lol.

Hey man, I like to read about it when others do that stuff. lol.

A question then. What multi did you do your training in and where did you do it? Also where did you do the commercial? I used to live in Charlotte and just curious.

that's actually an anti-goal of mine lol.

I've only done shzt like that in the Alsim. :eek:

If I can pull off Rough River this year, I haven't forgotten I promised you a ride in the 'truk. ;)

Hey man, I like to read about it when others do that stuff. lol.

A question then. What multi did you do your training in and where did you do it? Also where did you do the commercial? I used to live in Charlotte and just curious.

I can PM you some details but the commercial I did in my plane with a local kid instructor who I did my instrument with, had just got on board with piedmont then got furloughed, and the multi was in a '74 Baron BE55.

I can PM you some details but the commercial I did in my plane with a local kid instructor who I did my instrument with, had just got on board with piedmont then got furloughed, and the multi was in a '74 Baron BE55.

Thanks!

Not all that exciting? Hey there's nothing finer than doing an approach to minimums, in the mountains, at night, with only one engine, and partial panel. ;)
The plane could be on fire at the same time? :D

Keep proficient on the instruments and fly more than 2020. That's about it!

Oshkosh!

Well, and a few other trips. Supposed to do MD to FL again in Feb with a stop in GA on the way back for some quail hunting.

I’m always saying I’d like to fly 50+ GA hours for the year and never manage to get more than half that amount. So we’ll see how I do in 2021. Maybe start using my CFI again to do club checkouts and the occasional flight review.

Professionally I just want my job to still exist by the end of the year. :p

For me I'll shoot for:
- Fly to each state bordering Texas (already done OK)
- Do an overnight trip
- Get night current again

For me I'll shoot for:
- Fly to each state bordering Texas (already done OK)
- Do an overnight trip
- Get night current again
I still haven’t done an overnight after 2 yrs and 1000 hrs of flying. Add that one to my list also!

Didn't do a whole lot of flying in the last year since my job no longer allows me to instruct on the side. My CFI expires in 2021, so I'll have to find a way to renew it somehow.

Back