Basic med and Canadian Medical

skippers

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
skippers
Can a US certified pilot with Basic Med get a Canadian Class 4 physical and fly in Canada?

I don't think Transport Canada recognizes Basic Med.

I wasn't clear...yes, you can get the medical. But keep in mind the Canadian class 4 does not match to a private pilot certificate, so after the conversion, you do have restrictions on what you can fly.

The best you can do is to convert to a Canadian recreational license, similar to sport but with more airplanes. That allows flight with one passenger in single engine non-high performance aircraft, day vfr only.

The real question, fly to the Canadian border with Basic Med, cross Canada to get to Alaska with Canadian Class 4. Fly in Alaska with Basic Med and repeat process on return. Question may have been answered above that the Class 4 does not match with a US PPL. Can you have two medicals from different countries with only one PPL? Reading the Canadian regulations and some what nebulous depending if you are flying a N number aircraft.

The big question is getting into Canada ?? to do that paper.

The answer is no. You are operating under a US pilot certificate and most comply with US medical regulations. If the country accepts basic med, you are good to go. Otherwise you must have a US medical. That includes a Canadian overflight although I don’t know who would enforce it since you don’t clear customs on an overflight.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back