Wise Guy Returns from the Grave

Very nice!

Sounds almost like an EAA vintage restoration, piecing together all those various systems and getting them working like new. :)

I spoke with the pilot of a B-52 who flew it in from Barksdale for an airshow a few years ago. She was the daughter of a career USAF officer. Said it was kind of cool to be flying some of the same tail numbers her Dad flew.

Having the Federal checkbook handy helps a bit, too!

After the end of the airshow we were watching the Shell FBO jet fuel tankers shuttling back and forth to the Buff on the static line. Finally we wandered over to talk to the crew chief. Asked him how the fuel gets paid for. He said he had a credit card from Uncle Sam good to buy fuel anywhere in the world. Showed us the invoice...$79,000. :eek:They were heading straight home from the PNW to Barksdale non-stop in the morning.

Last edited:
Tail number 60-034. Entered service in 1960. Has more than 17,000 hours when first retired. Wow! I guess it shows what good (or perhaps over) engineering and good maintenance can do.

Tail number 60-034. Entered service in 1960. Has more than 17,000 hours when first retired. Wow! I guess it shows what good (or perhaps over) engineering and good maintenance can do.

Having the Federal checkbook handy helps a bit, too!

Back