Here we go!!!

aterry1067

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Alpha_Delta_Tango
just ordered the rudder kit for a CH750 Super Duty. And....

......So it begins......

Interested in engine options, but would like an O-360 or 540. Just wondering what others are doing?

Plenty of time to work that part out though.

just ordered the rudder kit for a CH750 Super Duty. And....

......So it begins......

Interested in engine options, but would like an O-360 or 540. Just wondering what others are doing?

Plenty of time to work that part out though.

Do you think the six cylinder engine will improve the performance all that much? It gets off the ground super quick with an O-360 or equivalent, and no amount of power is going to make that airframe go fast.

Do you think the six cylinder engine will improve the performance all that much? It gets off the ground super quick with an O-360 or equivalent, and no amount of power is going to make that airframe go fast.

Thanks for the reply.

I very seriously doubt it would improve it much at all. But I'm having a hard time finding anything printed that talks about the different engines that are being installed in these planes. The only thing I can find is "most are using the Viking or the Titan 370." That said, I am in no rush at the moment. The engine is something I will start looking for when the fuselage gets ordered/shipped.

Right now I think I would be quite happy with a 360, but would like to talk to others that are flying and get some different opinions and ideas. I suspect that someone somewhere will probably hang a 540. But you are right, I don't think it would provide much benefit.

What do you think the CH-750 will do that a Maule won't ?

Thanks for the reply.

I very seriously doubt it would improve it much at all. But I'm having a hard time finding anything printed that talks about the different engines that are being installed in these planes. The only thing I can find is "most are using the Viking or the Titan 370." That said, I am in no rush at the moment. The engine is something I will start looking for when the fuselage gets ordered/shipped.

Right now I think I would be quite happy with a 360, but would like to talk to others that are flying and get some different opinions and ideas. I suspect that someone somewhere will probably hang a 540. But you are right, I don't think it would provide much benefit.
try this one
1974 MAULE M-5-220C

What do you think the CH-750 will do that a Maule won't ?
Tom, not being contrarian, but maybe he wants an E-AB so he can maintain it himself. Also, aren't Maules tube and fabric? Maybe he wants an all aluminum airframe. Maybe he wants something with tricycle gear.

One of my flying buddies is building a CH 750 Cruzer and is putting an O-320 on it.

Tom, not being contrarian, but maybe he wants an E-AB so he can maintain it himself. Also, aren't Maules tube and fabric? Maybe he wants an all aluminum airframe. Maybe he wants something with tricycle gear.

One of my flying buddies is building a CH 750 Cruzer and is putting an O-320 on it.

Finding a A&P to work with isn't that hard.
Tube and fabric aircraft are the easiest aircraft to repair there is.
With the modern fabrics they last for Many many, years.
The Maule 180 has the best Gross weight (over 1200#)

To build an aircraft, you do it for education, nothing else.

because you an always buy better aircraft, than you can build

If the empty weight is 1350#, how can the gross weight be 1200#? ;)

Maybe you mean 1200# useful load?

Max gross is 2400#, but since empty weight is 1350#, 2400 - 1350 = only 1050# useful load.

Last edited:

Incorrect, I did it because I enjoy it. I also wanted to fly something I knew in and out. I agree I could buy a ‘better’ airplane, but that would have been 3x as much. And my annuals wouldn’t be sub $500.

Incorrect, I did it because I enjoy it. I also wanted to fly something I knew in and out. I agree I could buy a ‘better’ airplane, but that would have been 3x as much. And my annuals wouldn’t be sub $500.

Good luck with that.

Finding a A&P to work with isn't that hard.
You're right. But spending lots of money on parts can be hard to do. Unless you've got the bank account to support it. And once a year a Maule is required to have an annual inspection. This inspection must be signed off by an IA. An A&P can not sign off on the annual inspection. I'm surprised you don't know this.

Tube and fabric aircraft are the easiest aircraft to repair there is.
With the modern fabrics they last for Many many, years.
Nobody said anything about tube and fabric being easy to repair or how long they last. Maybe you should reread the post?

Once again, nobody said anything about gross weight. Perhaps you're responding on the wrong thread?

Such a massively incorrect statement. I built an aircraft. And it wasn't "for education, nothing else."

It would appear that when you say "you" that you're referring to yourself. Some other people are actually very good at building airplanes. If I was still building mine, I would invite you over to learn how.

Please don't feed the trolls. Especially the ones
Good luck with what?
This is typical with this guy. He either posts some "question" and when you answer he tells you that you're wrong. Or posts something that is wrong and when called on it starts making cryptic or non-sensical responses.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch...

What's the weight difference in the 540 vs. 360? That would be my concern with hanging that honker on there. There is no substitute for HP, though. You can always pull the power back when you don't need it, but you can't do it the other way around.... well, at least not for an extended period of time. :)

Thanks for all the replies. The weight is probably the limiting factor, as a 360 is around 330 and a 540 is over 400 (60297-21[1].pdf (lycoming.com)) There is still ample time to decide on an engine, and I would like to get a little more familiar with what others are doing. There are more than a few Zeniths flying with Viking engines, and I will certainly be looking in to that. I will also be thinking a lot more about Aeromomentum. The next project build will probably be electric or hybrid. That said, traditional engines such as the 360 are certainly a good option, have their merits, have their drawbacks, and are plentiful, if not overly priced. We'll see.

I looked at several certificated aircraft, and would still consider buying one. But nearly every plane I looked at, I found myself thinking "I really like a lot about this, except for ******* (fill in any various gripes)". If I am building my airplane I can build it any way I want, and if there is something I don't like I can either blame myself, or fix it. Add to that, with any used airplane, it may fly great, run great, and have good logs...but there is no way to know what's hidden.

I have worked in military aviation for going on 25 years, and have worked with several great, and some not so great, mechanics, both military and civilian. I have worked with many AP/IAs that I would trust with my life, and I have also worked with many AP/IAs that I wouldn't let them put gas in my car. What I have learned over the years is that if you really no kidding want something done right, and know without a doubt that it is done right, you have to do it yourself. I then have someone I trust look over my work. I do not get offended by someone watching over my shoulder...I welcome it.

This thread (and a couple others) is probably what pushed me to go the experimental route. Check your cowl after any work | Pilots of America

Back