Panel upgrade with Dynon HDX And Avidyne 540. Just waiting for the AP certificatation

Nice and clean!!

182P?

Not enough dials, makes me nervous, lol!

Looks great Georgey. Glad you posted it. I'm finishing up my 177RG right now and am also putting my Baro/Hdg/Alt Knob Panel and AP Panel (blank for now, like yours) right above the engine controls. My thoughts were that they'd be easily accessible to the hand. Yours is the first I've seen placing them there.

I've also put in a 540, and a Garmin 225, which I think will push/pull frequencies to/from the HDX. Is your #2 radio a 255, and if so, are you connecting it to the HDX in this manner?

Nice panel! Waiting for my install in the Bonanza later this month. Getting EIS and 3-axis autopilot. Can’t wait to get rid of all that decades old wiring!

Looks great Georgey. Glad you posted it. I'm finishing up my 177RG right now and am also putting my Baro/Hdg/Alt Knob Panel and AP Panel (blank for now, like yours) right above the engine controls. My thoughts were that they'd be easily accessible to the hand. Yours is the first I've seen placing them there.

I've also put in a 540, and a Garmin 225, which I think will push/pull frequencies to/from the HDX. Is your #2 radio a 255, and if so, are you connecting it to the HDX in this manner?
Yes, the com/nav is all connected to the HDX so it's a simple touch and it's sent to the standby. It's a big learning curve because there's so much but I'm up for the task.

John, what year is your 177RG? Mine is a 73 and I have the 3/4 width panel. I want to do two displays, but I don't think they'd fit. EVen if I went with a 10" and a 7".

Yes the GNC255 is connected to the HDX as nav/com 2. This pushes GPS position to the GNC255 so it idents the radio and nav frequencies like KRNO TWR etc on the radio display. Dynon for some reason don't let you push frequencies to the No.2 nav/com at the moment, only nav/com 1 (Which is the avidyne IFD) so we're waiting on a software update to let you choose which radio you want the HDX to push a frequency to. it still displays your Nav2 on the HDX HSI though.

John, what year is your 177RG? Mine is a 73 and I have the 3/4 width panel. I want to do two displays, but I don't think they'd fit. EVen if I went with a 10" and a 7".

Lynn, I have a 73 too, SN 349. No room for a second screen unfortunately. I'm finishing up the final wiring now, and don't have any pictures of the finished product, but here's what it'll look like:

Panel - HDX Right.jpg

The left side of the 10" HDX is centered over the yoke, since I'll just about always be using it as a PFD & MFD. Sliding it to the right like this gives plenty of room on the left for an iPad Mini, to run the IFD100 App, giving in effect, an additional Avidyne unit, or a nice screen for approach plates, etc.

Last edited:
Calum, I am connecting my GTR 225 to one of the HDX serial lines, and I know the Dynon can push frequencies to the 225, and display the 225s frequency on the HDX's top line using Dynon's GTR225 protocol, but here's a question for you...

If I were to connect the GTR 225 to my Avidyne (RS232 "Aviation"), I know the GTR 225 (RS232 "NMEA") would have position information and would label frequencies, show you the nearest etc.. Is there a position sentence in Dynon's GTR225 Protocol stream, or is it only a comm/nav protocol?

Yes the GNC255 is connected to the HDX as nav/com 2. This pushes GPS position to the GNC255 so it idents the radio and nav frequencies like KRNO TWR etc on the radio display. Dynon for some reason don't let you push frequencies to the No.2 nav/com at the moment, only nav/com 1 (Which is the avidyne IFD) so we're waiting on a software update to let you choose which radio you want the HDX to push a frequency to. it still displays your Nav2 on the HDX HSI though.

Calum, I am connecting my GTR 225 to one of the HDX serial lines, and I know the Dynon can push frequencies to the 225, and display the 225s frequency on the HDX's top line using Dynon's GTR225 protocol, but here's a question for you...

If I were to connect the GTR 225 to my Avidyne (RS232 "Aviation"), I know the GTR 225 (RS232 "NMEA") would have position information and would label frequencies, show you the nearest etc.. Is there a position sentence in Dynon's GTR225 Protocol stream, or is it only a comm/nav protocol?

Yes the Dynon passes position information to the GTR225 as well in the stream, so the radio would also show the station info.
PS, I would have another look at the HDX Install manual- I'm not sure if having the D10 in that position is legal, it has to be within a certain viewing range of the pilot as it is the emergency backup. The D10 is not allowed to be outside of 15 degrees from the pilots viewing centreline, it has to be able to be viewed with eye movement only- i.e. you shouldn't have to move your head...

Yes the Dynon passes position information to the GTR225 as well in the stream, so the radio would also show the station info.
PS, I would have another look at the HDX Install manual- I'm not sure if having the D10 in that position is legal, it has to be within a certain viewing range of the pilot as it is the emergency backup. The D10 is not allowed to be outside of 15 degrees from the pilots viewing centreline, it has to be able to be viewed with eye movement only- i.e. you shouldn't have to move your head...

That's great news about the position info. Thanks.

I was a bit concerned about that location too, but couldn't find anything in the manual about degrees, etc., so I used the same standard as the GNS430 install, that calls for an annunciator if it is outside of certain angle/distance from yoke center, and this location squeaks by. If it ever becomes a problem or doesn't lend itself to a quick scan or proves difficult to fly the plane using the D10A only, the contingency is to install it where the tach or MP gauge used to be, just below the HDX. If you can point me to that 15 degree reference I'd appreciate it.

That's great news about the position info. Thanks.

I was a bit concerned about that location too, but couldn't find anything in the manual about degrees, etc., so I used the same standard as the GNS430 install, that calls for an annunciator if it is outside of certain angle/distance from yoke center, and this location squeaks by. If it ever becomes a problem or doesn't lend itself to a quick scan or proves difficult to fly the plane using the D10A only, the contingency is to install it where the tach or MP gauge used to be, just below the HDX. If you can point me to that 15 degree reference I'd appreciate it.

Screen Shot 2020-08-07 at 09.30.42.png Screen Shot 2020-08-07 at 09.30.54.png

I like the keyboard on the yoke. Gonna remember that! Waiting for the PA32 AP...

Thanks Priyo, Georgey and Mark!

It's held on with velcro, Racer, and always plugged into avionics bus power. Seems to work very well and is readily accessible to the thumbs.

Thanks Priyo, Georgey and Mark!

It's held on with velcro, Racer, and always plugged into avionics bus power. Seems to work very well and is readily accessible to the thumbs.
Whole panel looks fantastic! Definite panel envy. Sometimes touch screens while driving just don't work for me.

Back