SiriusXM Antenna on Glareshield

SoCal 182 Driver

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
SoCal 182 Driver
I fly a C182. I'd like to use a portable SiriusXM satellite radio in the cockpit. I don't want to add an external antenna.

Has anyone had success using a SiriusXM receiver in the cockpit by just placing the antenna on the glareshield?

I'd appreciate thoughts and comments.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Mine worked fine on the glare shield of my Cherokee. Of course, divorcing myself from the dysfunctional company known as Sirius/XM was a memorably happy day for me.

Here is writeup I did when I installed an XM receiver in my Warrior.

Attachments

• Installing an Onyx Plus XM receiver into your Piper Cherokee.pdf
    531.8 KB · Views: 25
Not only did it work *on* the glare shield, it also worked *under* the glare shield (the plastic/fiberglass portion).

Had one on the glare shield of my 182 for 4 years and over 400 hours...... now it's been on the glare shield of my Bonanza for 3 years and 300 hours.

The Onyx Plus has the color display. The other one has a slightly larger display but I liked color. I did not need the extra features but it was only $50 for it and the car kit at Best Buy. It pops out of the cradle so you can use the receiver in another car, on camping trips, or at home.

The Onyx Plus has the color display. The other one has a slightly larger display but I liked color. I did not need the extra features but it was only $50 for it and the car kit at Best Buy. It pops out of the cradle so you can use the receiver in another car, on camping trips, or at home.

Thanks for the info!

My XM antenna for the Garmin GDL-51 is on the glare shield and works fine. Even the GPS/XM antenna I got with my GPS Map 396 and which has been on the glare shield for MANY, MANY years works just fine.

That's where I put mine. I have my portable GPS attached to an aluminum bracket and mount on the windshield bow. The mount is hardwired to ships power and the plug for the XM puck is routed up through the glareshield for a tidy setup. I can unplug the puck if desired, and take the GPS off the mount and use in in automotive mode at the destination, with the XM puck as well. I set my pick in the recess where the (useless) cabin speaker is, which keeps it from sliding around.

Had one on the glare shield of my 182 for 4 years and over 400 hours...... now it's been on the glare shield of my Bonanza for 3 years and 300 hours.
FWIW, I bought my portable XM on eBay 7 years ago. It was a lifetime subscription model that I paid $150 for and haven't paid anything since..... works great.

Back