what is this thing?

Howards are interesting.

Think there’s a Howard DGA (look up what DGA stood for!) on floats, that has been at the OSH seaplane base every time I’ve been lucky enough to visit.

Not sure if I would join the “I need one” crowd though. I suspect maintenance is ... “entertaining” like anything with low numbers and such.

“I ain’t that well off...”

They all appear, at least from outward appearances, to be built like tanks.

Cool photo.

Stupid fast old radial oil slinger. Could keep up with early turbo props but supposedly cost way more to operate and maintain.

Benny Howard of DGA fame and Dee Howard the mod company are two different people.
Both Howard 500's are based at my home field (ANE) near St Paul MN and they fly over my home every so often.
Oh, and this Grumman Albatross is in the same hangar too.
My photo.

IMG_8393 (1024x709).jpg

That is even cooler than Radar's 310.
See if you can trade the Moonanza + cash for it.
And then we all want a ride in it next year at Rough River. :thumbsup:

I’ve seen it at Oshkosh. Very cool!

Benny Howard of DGA fame and Dee Howard the mod company are two different people.
Both Howard 500's are based at my home field (ANE) near St Paul MN and they fly over my home every so often...

Saw both at OSH together in the past. Impressive that 2 are still flying as I believe only 17 were built in total.

Last edited:
Stupid fast old radial oil slinger. Could keep up with early turbo props but supposedly cost way more to operate and maintain.
It’ll outrun the early Citations as well.

back into the ‘80s there was a corporate Super Ventura based at KANE...he claimed he could beat a 20-series Lear from New York to L.A. because the Lear had to stop for fuel.

basic math there tom, thats per engine.....those are R-2800's
Right.. R-2000 are 14 cylinder that will bring the total to 56.

Oh the joy, to buy them. $1999.2 at spruce today

Last edited:
It’ll outrun the early Citations as well.

back into the ‘80s there was a corporate Super Ventura based at KANE...he claimed he could beat a 20-series Lear from New York to L.A. because the Lear had to stop for fuel.

That Super Ventura at ANE was N234P and was flown by Robert McFarland, "Mac". He also flew a corporate B-25 NL75755, for Northern Pump off their private strip on East River Rd in Minneapolis.
Mac was a great pilot, he flew all over the world in the 40's and 50's, he had experience in all kinds of heavy transport planes of that era. Later on in life he flew kidneys for the Mayo in an Aztec, sometimes in the worst winter weather when roads were closed.
After his corporate experience he a was a DE and I took my Private, Instrument and Commercial check rides with him. I also sent my first students to him for their rides.

ventura (1024x714).jpg ventura 2 (977x562).jpg

It's loaded.
I also see it has...

Turn and bank indicator, VSI, and a clock! Chronomatic 8-day clock. I bet you don't have to wind it but once a week or so.

I can see some fedora wearing eccentric ad agency owner buying this to take clients around for short hops.

I also see it has...

Turn and bank indicator, VSI, and a clock! Chronomatic 8-day clock. I bet you don't have to wind it but once a week or so.

I can see some fedora wearing eccentric ad agency owner buying this to take clients around for short hops.

I don’t have a fedora OR an ad agency.

I don’t have a fedora OR an ad agency.
Yes. But you are probably hip enough to still qualify to own it. A plane with that much style isn’t something a Home Depot/ChicFilA / WalMart guy like me should.

Back