[NA]More "defective out of box; buyer must pay" bullNA]

But guessing that the client is now more likely to return. Are you going to use the pump company again?

See that's backwards to me (the situation, not your thinking on this).

I have to punish a company for bad behavior in the hopes of modifying it.
It would be so much better if they did the right thing and then they'd be receiving my praise and continued loyalty, positive word-of-mouth.

See that's backwards to me (the situation, not your thinking on this).

I have to punish a company for bad behavior in the hopes of modifying it.
It would be so much better if they did the right thing and then they'd be receiving my praise and continued loyalty, positive word-of-mouth.
Positive word of mouth on its own is never going to be a motivator for a business to do the right thing because positive word of mouth is largely a myth. People don't tell others when they have a good experience with a business, they only tell others when they have a bad experience.

This thread is a perfect example of that. If the company had stepped right up and sent a new pump along with a shipping label for you to ship the bad one back on their dime, would have come here and created a thread about it? If you would have, you would definitely be the exception, not the rule.

If you really want your experience to have an impact on them, write them a letter or email and tell them why you will be shopping their competition in the future.

How about a Langstrom seven-inch Gangly wrench?
This was helpful and funny. I try to be part of the solution not problem. Thanks for being awesome.

Last edited:
You have a point there, @Juliet Hotel
Interestingly, yesterday I received an upbeat email "How was your transaction with ____ for your new circulator pump, Dave?!"
Well, that's interesting your should ask, let me tell you... lol

@Notrub thanks for bringing that up, I skipped past it the first time so I had to look up gangly wrench and I did used to enjoy Steve Martin...and I do appreciate some humor when I am steamed!

I looked this up and had a good laugh. Humor is indeed necessary...or a hammer. As a pump installer/ master water well provider how did this turn out?

I opened the old one to see about replacing the oring/gasket on the new one; there is none because this is the ‘dry’ side, or electric side of the pump.
So there is water getting through a defect in the housing. (Looks like its an inductive motor where the armature/shaft/impeller are not just sealed off from the stator; they are physically separate; pretty ingenious)

Attachments

• 62373881-2BAF-45D3-8D85-FF5F4CEE6536.jpeg
    62373881-2BAF-45D3-8D85-FF5F4CEE6536.jpeg
    154 KB · Views: 17
  • 663162EE-CD39-46EE-8B79-AB6B34056A08.jpeg
    663162EE-CD39-46EE-8B79-AB6B34056A08.jpeg
    139.9 KB · Views: 16
Its there it is under the silver plate u separated armature from stator(spinning part from static part of motor- I am not an electrician )...but gasket/oring is probably to old to mess with u need a new pump or the correct o-ring/gasket. Separate silver shaft from pump body and u will see the impeller and seal. Obviously this motor was not working.

go grundfos or expect failure. they will be able to find a pump that will fit without any mods to the plumbing/flange. i have replaced green/red on gold many times

Its there it is under the silver plate u separated armature from stator(spinning part from static part of motor- I am not an electrician )...but gasket/oring is probably to old to mess with u need a new pump or the correct o-ring/gasket. Separate silver shaft from pump body and u will see the impeller and seal. Obviously this motor was not working.

It’s pressed in; ordinary Herculean forces not strong enough to separate w/o destroying (I realize that doesn’t matter, it just grated on me to damage stuff lol)
Was hoping to see oring or flat gasket
No matter- amex credited my account and vendor actively chose not to challenge my dispute; case closed, bam.
Mr Gould? Mr Gould!

Attachments

• A92B8303-7A3F-4EB1-903E-487974D2401B.jpeg
    A92B8303-7A3F-4EB1-903E-487974D2401B.jpeg
    302.3 KB · Views: 13
I am so pzzed! Even if I am wrong and need to 'be told', I appreciate having you guys here to rant to (or at)!
This month's "big company swindle" is about a home hot water recirculating pump I bought from an authorized dealer.
Ordered 9th arrived 14th noon, installed that night, fully in accordance with instructions on the company's website including torques with a calibrated torque wrench.
Turn on the water and the %&!*# thing is pouring out water from a factory joint.
Probably a missing or defective o-ring or gasket or housing mechanical defect. Anyway look at the video. I cannot think of any way that installation could damage that part of the pump.
See the description below the YT above for how I did not preload the pipes or anything; it was a direct replacement and no heat was applied.
The dealer says they will apply for a warranty claim but don't get in a hurry (12 days) AND I WILL HAVE TO PAY TO HAVE A NEW ONE SHIPPED AND I WILL HAVE TO PAY TO HAVE THE DEFECTIVE ONE RETURNED!!
WITAF!!!!

Any reputable company is going to a) apologize b)promptly ship me a replacement at their expense c) issue a call tag for their original POS pump.

Amex dispute submitted.

(Anyone remember my lengthy thread from 16 mo ago where Dell gave me absolute Hell about a NEW laptop that had a defect....then their tech bricked it in a remote session, so I was supposed to pay them to bring it back to life, then fix the original problem?!)

/exasperation

Are you using this for a domestic hot water circulator? The pump you purchased is a sealed cartridge type and produces way too much velocity for that application. It's going to push 20 GPM @ 5' external head. That amount of flow will produce mineral deposits inside valves and fittings, leading to problems that are insidious and a PITA to repair.

This Watts pump flows about 3 GPM, and can be plumbed into your water heater with the enclosed kit. It also has a built in 24 hour timer with 15 minute increments.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Watts-HRWS-Universal-Steel-Water-Heater-Recirculating-Pump/3135231

Mine is going on five years with no problems whatsoever.

Last edited:
If you're going to keep that arrangement, you don't need a new pump, just a replacement cartridge.

Oh, and a gasket. :D

That was the pump B&G recommended.
Not being in the industry I had to rely on their recommendations.
The first one did last 24 years so it was probably not awful.
Thanks for the alternative suggestions. (not sticking with the B&G)

001F863E-DA9B-44ED-AE97-BF88DE2201F2.jpeg This is what they all look like inside minus the pump housing. If its 24 yrs old the gasket is dry rotted and maybe some electrolysis has happened.

Here is the inside of my old B&G.
The housing finally came apart with some monkey motion.
The flat gasket on the other side is entrapped by a metal ring which does not appear to come off easily.
I’m sure It would be difficult to locate a replacement.

Attachments

• B17260B9-B957-498F-BDC0-348B80DD542A.jpeg
    B17260B9-B957-498F-BDC0-348B80DD542A.jpeg
    33.5 KB · Views: 10
Back