12/16/20 Louisiana Cherokee 2 fatalaties

This accident happened less than 5 miles from my house at 0445L. I'll just say the METAR for KBAD had OVC003 and 7 miles vis for the reported "student pilot" and passenger. I guess they could of been on top in the clear!? Very SAD. RIP

Sad . If that was being flown by a student pilot.... wow.

In a different note , KBAD .... couldn’t they come up with a different identifier ? Jeez

Very sad as these were a couple of young men. One only had a student certificate ...

Got to wonder what they were doing. The weather was not good and it was dark very early morning.

Local "word" (unconfirmed from other forums) is that the pilot had recently completed his PPL, FAA database not yet updated. But, still..............

His name was Jet and he went to Airline High School?

The link to the details already says ‘illegal flight’? Now we have to ask if alcohol was involved.

300 overcast, 0445 am, student license? May have better odds playing ‘Russian roulette’.

Plane was hangared down from me.
Weather was crap. Hell of a time for a joyride.
RIP

I'd love to have a talk with his CFI. Love to.

Kenny,
Unless his CFI wrote a solo endorsement of " cleared to fly with passengers at night in any kind of weather including hard IFR..." in the young man's logbook I don't see what any CFI could have done to prevent this tragedy. The "C" in CFI doesn't stand for Clairvoyant. The best training in the world can't overcome bad decisions and outright stupidity. I know that comes across as harsh but damn, two kids are dead and two families are forever damaged and hurting.
I bet the CFI is going thru hell now too.

Chris

At that age, young people, particularly males, tend to think nothing can hurt them. Not fully developed frontal lobes. Of course, that is exactly why we send them into battle.

Sad accident. RIP.

And what would you say?
I would ask: did you miss something, are you totally surprised, or did you see it coming? Because for one of the students in my flight school, everyone saw it coming, though he merely did extremely stupid and illegal things, and may even be alive today.

sounds like the guy out here in western ND who decided to take off in freezing fog with a wet PPL at night and ran into a hill. The hill won. Sometimes people just make bad decisions and at that age, most thinks they are bullet proof. I did as well and it is a miracle that i am still around. thank fully i wised up when i saw the early warning signs (some people disagree :p).

reminds of a situation I witnessed first hand :

During my early PPL, one day i was at the school, late afternoon, discussing various theory of flight with my primary CFI who was also the assistant chief flight instructor. Early March - freezing level at zero agl, winds were howling at some 27G35 with 011 OVC with some precip moving in. 4 guys showed up, 1 was a recent PPL with his 3 other friends, all seem like are in college and in sports - big dudes. The "pilot" had asked the 172 to be filled up to the brim for a cross country to MN to watch some game. as we talk in my CFI's office, we hear some verbal altercations going on outside - the guy is adamant on flying. his logic was it was VFR most of his route and his plan was to ask for a SVFR departure and then climb to altitude after Alexandria. We looked at skyvector and AXN was showing MVFR, KMSP was IFR, his destination was KSTP which was MVFR at best.

My CFI goes out and tells them that no way even he will fly that mission without a FIKI, but the invincible 19 year old wont listen. after some raising of voices and statements like "i would just like to pay for the rental and get out of here before the game starts" conversation , the chief flight instructor (and the DPE) comes out of his office and very calmly said that he has grounded all school aircrafts and to go pound sand.

i strongly believe 4 lives were saved that day.

^^^
The words "old" and "bold" came to mind.

We've got an older pilot at our airport that many of us think should know better. He has a plastic airplane with the usual Continental 550 turbo mill in it. Does not have an IFR ticket but thinks his syn viz is even better than that in IMC.

Thankfully, he headed to a rural airport for cheap avgas, undershot the landing, tore the nosewheel off it on the pavement lip, wiped out the prop & cowling in the ensuing skid down the runway, and now needs a engine IRAN. He walked away from this one.

I guess these plastic airplanes aren't as easy to fix as aluminum airframes when there's firewall damage. We keep hoping it takes a while.

Last edited:

During my early PPL, one day i was at the school, late afternoon, discussing various theory of flight with my primary CFI who was also the assistant chief flight instructor. Early March - freezing level at zero agl, winds were howling at some 27G35 with 011 OVC with some precip moving in. 4 guys showed up, 1 was a recent PPL with his 3 other friends, all seem like are in college and in sports - big dudes. The "pilot" had asked the 172 to be filled up to the brim for a cross country to MN to watch some game.

Had a CFI tell me a similar story. New PPL with three adult friends getting ready to hop in a 172. Except in this case it was in Utah in the middle of summer.

The details are fuzzy, but I think the CFI was able to pull the guy aside and have a quick discussion about W&B and the importance of density altitude. Guy eventually got the hint, thankfully.

sounds like the guy out here in western ND who decided to take off in freezing fog with a wet PPL at night and ran into a hill. The hill won. Sometimes people just make bad decisions and at that age, most thinks they are bullet proof. I did as well and it is a miracle that i am still around. thank fully i wised up when i saw the early warning signs (some people disagree :p).

During my early PPL, one day i was at the school, late afternoon, discussing various theory of flight with my primary CFI who was also the assistant chief flight instructor. Early March - freezing level at zero agl, winds were howling at some 27G35 with 011 OVC with some precip moving in. 4 guys showed up, 1 was a recent PPL with his 3 other friends, all seem like are in college and in sports - big dudes. The "pilot" had asked the 172 to be filled up to the brim for a cross country to MN to watch some game. as we talk in my CFI's office, we hear some verbal altercations going on outside - the guy is adamant on flying. his logic was it was VFR most of his route and his plan was to ask for a SVFR departure and then climb to altitude after Alexandria. We looked at skyvector and AXN was showing MVFR, KMSP was IFR, his destination was KSTP which was MVFR at best.

My CFI goes out and tells them that no way even he will fly that mission without a FIKI, but the invincible 19 year old wont listen. after some raising of voices and statements like "i would just like to pay for the rental and get out of here before the game starts" conversation , the chief flight instructor (and the DPE) comes out of his office and very calmly said that he has grounded all school aircrafts and to go pound sand.

Had the same situation at our flight school. Guy showed up to fly the 172 with a couple of his buddies. It was sleeting outside. He had a new instrument rating and his plan was to get on top. Management talked him out of of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got my PPL at 18 years of age. Some 18 year olds have the maturity to safely fly an airplane.

I was not one of those 18 year olds.

I am thankful I made it through those first 1-3 years of flying. Simply terrible decision making.

The prelim for this accident.

"According to the student pilot’s most recent flight instructor (CFI), he issued the pilot a local traffic pattern solo endorsement on November 21, 2020, with limitations that he was not to fly without first calling the CFI to review weather and NOTAMs. The CFI said he had explained to the pilot that his solo endorsement did not afford him the right to carry passengers. The pilot did not contact the CFI prior to the accident flight."

Attachments

• Report_CEN21LA089_102421_8_10_2022 12_45_53 PM (1).pdf
    858.1 KB · Views: 21
The prelim for this accident.

"According to the student pilot’s most recent flight instructor (CFI), he issued the pilot a local traffic pattern solo endorsement on November 21, 2020, with limitations that he was not to fly without first calling the CFI to review weather and NOTAMs. The CFI said he had explained to the pilot that his solo endorsement did not afford him the right to carry passengers. The pilot did not contact the CFI prior to the accident flight."

No tox report on BAC?

Back