Why must ForeFlight be Such a Tease?

Deelee

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Deelee
I have used ForeFlight for about 6 months after switching over from Garmin Pilot. I like it. Actually, I like it a lot more than GP after getting used to it. I don't want to turn this into a GP vs. FF debate (but feel free, of course).

I just want to say what a tease the folks at FF are. I have been pretty happy with my current subscription level - Pro Plus. They charge $199/year and I think the value is there for IR flying. I have been keeping my eye on some of the features that have been creeping in to the $299 performance plus subscription level - things like weather in profile view, to/landing performance, and I think some of the 3d views are cool... but not for another $100 cool...

But now they are offering a special where you get Jepp charts and performance plus for another $100 for a year (basically they throw in the Jeppesen charts free with the upgrade).... I have always wanted to try out the Jeppesen charts, but the expense hasn't been worth it. Until now. Maybe.

Please talk me out of lighting another $100 on fire. Or talk me into it since I have been good all year and it's Christmas...

Please talk me out of lighting another $100 on fire. Or talk me into it since I have been good all year and it's Christmas...
Never ask this group to talk you out of something. I've posted two "talk me out of" threads and all it got me was an airplane kit and an appointment for a prebuy on a twin. POA is where you go when you want other people to spend your money faster than you can count it.

I'll watch this thread. I have never used Jeppesen charts. I don't know if they give any improvement over the other charts (FAA and data-driven) in ForeFlight. If they do, I may have to take advantage of the offer you described.

You can always downgrade later if you don't see the value. The difference in subscription price will be refunded as a pro-rated credit on your account towards your next renewal.

I burned up over a $100 worth of fuel yesterday going to lunch. I used to stress over whether or not to upgrade with each new feature that was just above my subscription level. I finally upgraded and now I just enjoy each new feature without the stress.

:happydance: :happydance: GARMIN PILOT!!!! :happydance: :happydance:

Theeeerrre it is... and the first post, too!! :) :)

See, PoA is the place people like me go for therapy to help pre-buyers remorse syndrome. I know I want to buy it. I am going to buy it. I just need a few internet strangers to tell me to just go buy it :cornut:

Ok, since it's my thread I'll hijack it and ask if anyone switched over to Jepp charts and if they like them $100/year better than the free ones and why?

this is a bit... dorky.... buy I have a subscription for Jepp charts for my flight sim and I like them for that purpose. Never used them in the real world flying, though. Are they worth it?

I have been using FF from the beginning. I find many of the cool new features fairly useless. I’ll try them out a few times, and then get to a point where I don’t. Are JEPP charts worth money over the charts already included I don’t think so. Years back sure JEPP were far superior over the gov charts. But now I don’t see the need.
But as far as spend the money for the features, people spend more on Starbucks in a week. If you break down the cost weekly, it’s really not that much. Especially if you fly a lot.

Never ask this group to talk you out of something. I've posted two "talk me out of" threads and all it got me was an airplane kit and an appointment for a prebuy on a twin. POA is where you go when you want other people to spend your money faster than you can count it.
This is what friends are for.:)

Theeeerrre it is... and the first post, too!! :) :)

See, PoA is the place people like me go for therapy to help pre-buyers remorse syndrome. I know I want to buy it. I am going to buy it. I just need a few internet strangers to tell me to just go buy it :cornut:

Ok, since it's my thread I'll hijack it and ask if anyone switched over to Jepp charts and if they like them $100/year better than the free ones and why?

this is a bit... dorky.... buy I have a subscription for Jepp charts for my flight sim and I like them for that purpose. Never used them in the real world flying, though. Are they worth it?

I pay the hundred bucks for Jepp charts. It wasn’t really a ‘switch’ to Jepp. I just like to see them because they sometimes answer questions about Gov Charts that sometimes don’t seem clear. If you do, the Gov Charts are still there. Use whichever one you want. Like said above you can cancel anytime and get credit.

I never understood what is so special about the Jepp charts. Maybe that's because I haven't really used them very much? Lots of people use the FAA charts to fly approaches successfully. I don't understand the benefit vs cost of the Jepp charts. Can someone explain it to me? I can fly all the approaches successfully with the FAA charts. How are the Jepp charts going to improve that or make my flying more fun?

Color me strange, but I never grew to like Jepp charts, NACO charts are just fine with me. So, looking at FF, the middle option is just the right porridge for me. Yeah, an extra $100 clams is only 0.1AMU, but for me I don't see the value.

I have had foreflight from the start,I have come to expect product improvement and reasonable increase in cost. Don’t really need to switch to Jeep charts at this time .

I've used Jepp's for many years, mostly for work. They are what I am used to, so just because of that I like them better. But, my G3X has NOS charts on it, and so far I've had no issue using them. I have my iPad close at hand with Jepps on it if I need to clarify something.

But you should try them if that is something you really want to do. $100 a year in the scheme of things is not a lot of money. If you find that they aren't useful, then don't renew it for next year.

So now I'm just watching ForeFlight videos from their Website... Those 3-d features are pretty cool... I may buy it just so I can plan flights I'll never take and watch the 3-d preview.

Man I really need something to do... maybe start studying for commercial?

I like the jepp charts. They lost things in the order I brief them. I also like how simple they list the instructions on things like missed approaches, odp’s, and sids. For 100 bucks I’d upgrade in a heartbeat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

can someone do screenshot comparison of a jepp chart vs faa for the same approach? I also don't know what the diff is.

Years ago the government charts were really bad until they reformatted them. Now, it’s more of a preference decision.

My math is... not good. I paid for my pro plus subscription about 6 months ago. What they do is pro-rate that and apply it as a credit to the performance plus price. Which is $299. So I get a $100 credit applied to the upgrade which would reset the subscription to today's date. So the total would be $199 to upgrade. I'm out. I'll wait until June to see if there is a deal then. For now, I'm sticking with pro plus.

I'm still amazed at some of the things we had to figure out ourselves when flying that our software provides.

Extended centerlines are nice, so I can visualize the runway I'm landing on. I used to hold my finger up to the DG and really concentrate.

GP even tells me which runway is preferred based on winds!

I was flying with my friend the other day and he uses FF... it told him the rate he would have to descend to reach pattern altitude at the destination airport. How did we make it down before? :)

Now I'm off to the GMC forum to marvel about my backup cameras, heated/cooled seats, tire pressure sensors, oil change reminders, etc!

I'll watch this thread. I have never used Jeppesen charts. I don't know if they give any improvement over the other charts (FAA and data-driven) in ForeFlight. If they do, I may have to take advantage of the offer you described.
All the data is the same because it comes from the Feds (or for Jepp, the Feds in the US and the corresponding CAA in whatever country you want charts for). The difference is the physical layout of the data. Some people find the difference irrelevant, others swear by [pick one]. US airlines are Jepp.

thanks. interesting, but I don't see anything in the jepp charts worth a cool hundid for. I like 'em, don't see paying extra for 'em.

20 years ago, huge difference. But now I don’t see all the hype.

thanks. interesting, but I don't see anything in the jepp charts worth a cool hundid for. I like 'em, don't see paying extra for 'em.

I agree. Where Jepp is really good is for international charts. Having a uniform format the world over is a big benefit.

The free charts are only for the 1st year.

The offer is only for those who are upgrading / are completely new to FF

or $100/#days you fly = ?
Foreflight looks like a great product but not sure what it adds that FltPlanGo does not provide for free. Not saying it doesn't just don't know.
In the Android version, FltPlan Go doesn't have terrain, obstacles, or traffic, and it has fewer weather connectivity options (it won't show weather from my GDL 51 or GTX 345). Those are the only differences that matter -- the rest are just shiny distractions that GP and FF use to pump up their feature-comparison matrices for marketing.

Agreed that "free" for an EFB that covers Canada, the U.S., and the Caribbean is a price I'm happy to pay.

or $100/#days you fly = ?
Foreflight looks like a great product but not sure what it adds that FltPlanGo does not provide for free. Not saying it doesn't just don't know.
FltPlanGo has a lot of bang for the buck, but I like the improved user interface of ForeFlight (or even Garmin Pilot) enough to pay for it. I actually struggle to comprehend how anyone can make enough use of FltPlan.com and its app for Garmin to spend money acquiring it.

Back