Help me convince Mtns2Skies to buy another airplane

Should Mtns2Skies and I buy another airplane?

• Yes!

Votes: 32 76.2%
  • No (but really, just do it)

Votes: 10 23.8%

• Total voters
Display Name

Display name:
Mtns2SkiesBetterHalf
I want my own airplane, preferably a Cessna 150 TW or 150/152 Aerobat, but would also consider a Cessna 120, 140, or 172 TW.

@Mtns2Skies claims we need to be "better positioned financially".

I claim that we already own a 180, there's no such thing as "better positioned financially", so we might as well get another airplane!!

Since he doesn't make any decision without PoA input ;), I need you to help me convince him.

To Mtns2Skies.....

1) Depending where you live, that 180 might be community property. It's in your best interest to get your better half an airplane so there's no need to get the lawyers or probate involved.

2) Really? You have your own airplane. Why are you being selfish?

3) Sharing an airplane really isn't that much fun.

4) Discount for multiple airplanes at Annual time.

5) Discount for buying tires, oil, etc, in bulk.

Find a project 150D and have Dave Lowe convert it to t/w. Wait, that's what I want to do...

Picking up where @murphey left off in post #2:

6) As a family with two airplanes (a Piper Aztec and an Aviat Husky) it mystifies me as to why two family airplanes is even a subject for debate. o_O

7) In this day and age when did wives (otherwise known as the family's Secretary of the Treasury) suddenly need permission from husbands to invest capital (AMUs) intelligently? :confused:

8) The ability to continue to invest AMUs intelligently in the 180 is declining rapidly - even the panel is done - so obviously time for an additional airplane in the @Mtns2SkiesBetterHalf family Air Force. :cool:

9) I tell all my friends the two secrets to a successful marriage are:
a) have nothing in common, and therefore there's never anything to have a fight over, :) and
b) separate airplanes (variation on murphey's item 3 in post #2). ;)
10) Tell him you really, really want a Extra 300...then back him off to the Aerobat. The "pain reduction" strategy is always a good one in these situations.

I just gave some dual to a guy in a C-150 TW after he bought it--fun! I think financially it's a great plan. It'll fit right into your fold just fine. Besides, now you guys can go together to fly-ins and pancake breakfasts without arguing about who is doing the flying. Don't worry about the gas money, because the 150 doesn't burn that much! And you need a back-up for when the other one is down for maintenance. (Er, pro tip, don't schedule both annuals in the same month). You always need a back up. :yes:

I feel like the target should be something even better, but a 180 is pretty hard to beat.

...And you need a back-up for when the other one is down for maintenance. (Er, pro tip, don't schedule both annuals in the same month). You always need a back up. :yes:

This is a very valid point. Given the ancient nature of the airplanes most of us fly it's good to have two...one for fixin' and one for flyin'. :)

I'm trying to imagine a world where my spouse is upset with me because I don't want to buy another airplane.
To be clear, it's not that I don't want to, its that the 180 still needs some TLC, and an engine fund.

Congrats are in order. I didn't meet the young lady (my own fault) but I certainly saw her. Lovely, and a pilot to boot. Color me impressed.

Last edited:
Take two: I'm trying to imagine a world where my spouse wants to buy another airplane.

Yeah, my wife has ZERO interest in flying. Right after my PPL checkride, my CFI offered to give my wife lessons up to the point where she could consistently land the plane gratis! On the house, just pay for plane rentals. I thought that was a great idea, the Mrs. said NOPE!

Wait, wait. Are we sure this isn't just a case where @Mtns2Skies is suffering from multiple personality disorder and one of his other personalities is posting from a second account? He's just struggling with himself over buying another airplane! :)

To be clear, it's not that I don't want to, its that the 180 still needs some TLC, and an engine fund.

Be careful! You might not want to go there. :)
Sometimes when I display such rational thought tendencies Mrs. GRG55 will express concern about her decision to marry a logical, sliderule-wielding mechanical engineer (instead of running away with one of those "exciting, creative, free-spirit, starving artist" types). :eek:

Besides, you could have it a LOT worse. My wife has horses...'nuff said.

I just talked to a married guy the other day, 60’ish, 1st marriage. He said he’s to much of a saver, time to spend some $$$. He’s starting with a modest($10k) boat.

Then we just had a mid 50’s guy die with a quick moving cancer, discovered last Spring.

Most of us won’t have need for $$ or a plane at 90. Most won’t be above ground at 90. I say a little of both, some savings for tomorrow, but have some fun today.

I get irritated too when I see kids, grandkids & relatives fighting over the spoils.

Most won’t be above ground at 90. I say a little of both, some savings for tomorrow, but have some fun today.
I agree. Frugality is wise, but you definitely need to enjoy life as best you can, while you’re healthy and able to do so. My great grandfather was a penny-pincher by every definition and accumulated a good chunk of change by the time he passed away, but lived a pretty mundane life. Save what you can, but enjoy what you have - can’t take any of it with ya! :)

I don’t even have my PPL nor a plane and I’m already trying to find good arguments why I should have a second plane. So no help from here!

...I get irritated too when I see kids, grandkids & relatives fighting over the spoils.

My goal is to spend my last $ saved the day before I leave. :p

I agree. Frugality is wise, but you definitely need to enjoy life as best you can, while you’re healthy and able to do so...

This is particularly so for pilots. One never knows when something might happen to eliminate your medical. And then be forced to sell the plane and take up something less exciting...like chess. :D

Austin already lost this battle, but not such a bad battle to lose.

Battle? That wasn't even a fair fight...

Save what you can, but enjoy what you have - can’t take any of it with ya! :)

In the small town my brother lives in they do have a U-Haul trailer on the back of the hearse.

In the words of the famous philosopher Jeff Foxworthy...

“If she ain’t happy...you ain’t happy.”

“...and if she ain’t happy long enough, you ain’t happy...with half your stuff”...

My goal is to spend my last $ saved the day before I leave. :p

I warned my children that when they come to the reading of the will to bring their checkbook ... gonna be a few folks there wanting their money! :D

I think you're setting your sights a little low, get an RV-8!

My wife going on here to post about how I need to buy a plane is beyond wet dream material.

Money is a utility, in this case, its utility is getting another airplane. I suggest the Cessna 140 ;)

Yessssss, love the look of the 140. The only reason why a 150 TW edges it out for me, is because it looks like a baby 180 :D.

10) Tell him you really, really want a Extra 300...then back him off to the Aerobat. The "pain reduction" strategy is always a good one in these situations.

I feel like the target should be something even better, but a 180 is pretty hard to beat.

You might as well give in. If you don't, she'll start asking for something else even more expensive.

Hmmmm maybe I should just one up @Mtns2Skies and aim for a 185 or Dehavilland Beaver? He can't say no to a Dehavilland Beaver right? And for those who can't help themselves, no Beaver jokes. This is a serious thread about making someone buy an airplane.

I think you're setting your sights a little low, get an RV-8!

Ahhh see, I'm more of a high wing girl. With a particular love of Cessna two seaters. That being said, I've never flown in an RV so maybe that's why I never considered one!

Maybe that's the next thread I should start! What airplane should I make @Mtns2Skies buy me for my birthday?

I'm trying to imagine a world where my spouse is upset with me because I don't want to buy another airplane.

Take two: I'm trying to imagine a world where my spouse wants to buy another airplane.

Welcome to my household. I was afraid of telling my wife I wanted to shut down Cloud Nine and sell the MU-2. I have the most supportive wife in the world, but that's in a world with airplanes. Fortunately she's just as supportive in a world without airplanes, but that was... questionable.

Booooooo where was all this practicality before we bought the 180? :p

In case you hadn't noticed, your husband thinks he's old and is hoping that his lovely young bride hasn't noticed she married an old fogey. ;)

My take? When the 310 was donated to Cloud Nine I had to manage two airplanes for a while (the Aztec and the 310). To be honest? Real pain and it didn't add to the fun. However Laurie and I never flew the planes separately, it was basically just trying to manage a fleet that I didn't get to reap the benefits of. If the two of you were actually flying the planes separately and both had "your" plane it might make more sense and be different, but a 150 and a 180 are too close to me to make sense. If you had a smaller taildragger like a 120 or 140 that might be different, or better yet something like a Pitts or a Stearman that's completely different from the 180.

Back