Lightspeed - Sierra vs Zulu 3

Brad W

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
BLW2
so what does the $200 get for you?
Just quickly skimming the web site I can't see anything obvious...both ANR & bluetooth
so I'll assume upgraded pads, etc... worth it?

I have an old QFR series that completely rotted in storage. It looks like they might give me $150 in trade-up credit, so I'm trying to decide....once of these lightspeed models or just go in another direction as I try to get back into the air....

I have some low end flightcom sets that seemed to have held up much better in storage, but I'm concerned the mics may be bad....but maybe a flighcom ANR might be a better way to go for now...

Among other things, the Zulu gives you auto-shutoff, better microphone, and lighter weight. I have an original Zulu, and the auto-shutoff is a nice feature.

Reactions: YKA
I just upgraded from Sierra to Zulu 3 - it is lighter and there is improvement in noise reduction but nothing earth shattering.

I sell lots of like new Lightspeeds so I can hook you up if needed.... I usually have all the styles.

The Sierra will let you put the mic on right or left.
Zulu 3 mic left side only.

The Sierra is all plastic and the Zulu 3 and PFX are mostly metal.

Zulu 3 has the more flexable kevlar cord.

I fly a bunch and I use the Zulu 3. It works great in all the planes I fly which are all unique.

My wife likes her Sierra. She likes the mic on the right side.

I have done lots of back to back testing in many airplanes. If you are flying a Cessna or other basic plane you will not see much difference between the Zulu 3 or Sierra.

In a really loud aerobatic plane or open cockpit the Zulu 3 or PFX work bettter.

The wireless Tango is pretty awesome also! no cord is great and it is rechargable.

I have lots of local friends that I have sold Sierra's to and they all love them. The Sierra is better than the Bose in my opinion.

My prices
Sierra $525
Tango $625
Zulu 3 $675
PFX $699

Last edited:
I just upgraded from Sierra to Zulu 3 - it is lighter and there is improvement in noise reduction but nothing earth shattering.

Not a lot of difference in noise reduction in a Cessna or Cherokee because they are already quiet.
If you compare them in something extremely loud like a Pitts the Zulu 3 is quieter. The louder the plane the better they work.
My back to back testing in a 172 with the windows closed the Zulu 3 wasn't any quieter than the Sierra.

In my personal tests, Bose A20 was so much better at noise cancelling.
Night and day difference
I know you didn't ask.....

You must fly a very quiet plane because the A20 will not work in anything that is really loud.

Are the warranties transferrable? Anyone ever have issues getting they fixed?

Lightspeed goes by serial number for warranty repair. You don’t need to register or transfer anything..
Serial number tells how old it is. All the headset manufactures do this.

You must fly a very quiet plane because the A20 will not work in anything that is really loud.

CFI in C172's and C150's and I own a Comanche.
I had the Zulu 3 for over a month. I kept having weird wobbling noises and funny sounds.
Hopped in a friends plane with an A20. It was so much quieter for me. I traded the Zulu's for the A20 and have not regretted that decision.

CFI in C172's and C150's and I own a Comanche.
I had the Zulu 3 for over a month. I kept having weird wobbling noises and funny sounds.
Hopped in a friends plane with an A20. It was so much quieter for me. I traded the Zulu's for the A20 and have not regretted that decision.

That wobbling noise or funny sound especially when talking can be caused by the microphone being twisted and not perpendicular to your mouth or even turned 180 degrees. Just feel the microphone and make sure twisted correctly, IIRC the small button (cover for the gain) should be on the side away from your mouth.

Brian

That wobbling noise or funny sound especially when talking can be caused by the microphone being twisted and not perpendicular to your mouth or even turned 180 degrees. Just feel the microphone and make sure twisted correctly, IIRC the small button (cover for the gain) should be on the side away from your mouth.

Brian

Most the time the Wobbling noise comes from a gap in the earseal and the ANR goes crazy...
It happens when a headset does not fit properly. I get the crazy noises with the Bose in anything loud because the ANR can't handle it.
I called Bose and asked why the A20 is so horrible in my Pitts. The answer was that the A20 was not designed for a loud aircraft. LOL!

Don’t bother with the Sierra. Not built well. Mine had all sorts of issues caused by plastic and building to a price point.

Compare the Sierra to any Zulu side by side and it’s clear one was designed to be a good headset first, and the other is an example of price shaving. It’s really that obvious.

thanks everyone. Very helpful. I was going to go ahead and gear up for my check-out and BFR flights.... but I really think I'll try to hold off till sun n fun so I can try them on and compare to see what fits my noggin' better.....that is if one my old Flightcom sets doesn't have a dead mic.
I've just got a bad feeling about them. My son and I took two of them for our discovery flight a couple months ago, they worked but the mics just seemed 'weak'. The foam muff's were shot and gone, but I'm not sure if it was that, or if the intercom in that hold worn out rental 172 was just bad....

Don’t bother with the Sierra. Not built well. Mine had all sorts of issues caused by plastic and building to a price point.

Compare the Sierra to any Zulu side by side and it’s clear one was designed to be a good headset first, and the other is an example of price shaving. It’s really that obvious.

I've had great luck with my Sierra. I fly part 135 in both the L48 and Alaska. Up to 7 hrs flying per day. Nearly 2 years now with about 1200 hrs flight time. No problems at all. Battery life is noticeably reduced if I listen to music via bluetooth.

I mostly use a Zulu 3 and I have a Sierra for my front passenger. ANR is about the same but I found the Zulu to be more comfortable and worth the extra $200. The Zulu hard carrying case in a lot nicer than the Sierra soft case.

Last edited:
I've had great luck with my Sierra. I fly part 135 in both the L48 and Alaska. Up to 7 hrs flying per day. Nearly 2 years now with about 1200 hrs flight time. No problems at all. Battery life is noticeably reduced if I listen to music via bluetooth.

I thought mine was good too. Until I compared.

I sell lots of like new Lightspeeds so I can hook you up if needed.... I usually have all the styles.

I fly a bunch and I use the Zulu 3. It works great in all the planes I fly which are all unique.

I have done lots of back to back testing in many airplanes. If you are flying a Cessna or other basic plane you will not see much difference between the Zulu 3 or Sierra.

In a really loud aerobatic plane or open cockpit the Zulu 3 or PFX work bettter.

The wireless Tango is pretty awesome also! no cord is great and it is rechargable.

I have lots of local friends that I have sold Sierra's to and they all love them. The Sierra is better than the Bose in my opinion.

My prices
Sierra $525
Tango $625
Zulu 3 $675
PFX $699
Hey where can I buy a headset off you?

Do what I did, wait for the next $250 off a pair of Zulu 3 when you trade in selective passive set - I had two pair of old DC's that I got for $20 each on Craigslist and got two Zulu 3's for $600 each - one for me and one for the wife.

Zulu 3 - Straight Cord, Dual GA Plugs, Battery Power (4064)

We have Sierras and Zulu 3s. The Zulu 3s are a little nicer, but the Sierras are really an excellent headset. Not being able to switch the mic to the right side is Pretty lame for right-side passengers, so it is nice that the Sierras offer this. I would definitely recommend them - they are 90% as nice as the Zulu’s or Boses at 50% of the price (or something like that hah).

proud owner of a Z3 with another on the way for the wife. Never used Sierras. But I would recommend the Zulu 3's in a minute.

I bought a Zulu3 and a Sierra at the same time. In my C172 I can tell a difference in the noise level, but its not much. They do feel slightly different on your head, but again not a really big difference. I like the metal on the Zulus, for that I give them the advantage. the Sierras auto shutoff like the zulus btw

all in all if you are coming from passive noise reduction to active you probably wont ever think about going back.

I have a Zulu3, Sierra and Bose A20. The difference between the Sierra and Zulu is not great from an operational standpoint but the Bose are noticeably better and more comfortable (so my Wife uses it). However I am very happy with the Sierra and would recommend it. I have a Mooney and Tomahawk.

JM in Fla.

My prices
Sierra $525
Tango $625
Zulu 3 $675
PFX $699
I did send you an PM

My prices
Sierra $525
Tango $625
Zulu 3 $675
PFX $699

My prices
Sierra $525
Tango $625
Zulu 3 $675
PFX $699

Do you still sell lightspeed headsets? I need a new pair

No, I'm afraid he retired from selling refurbished Lightspeeds.

Light speed Zulu 3 is pretty great. Fits my head better than Bose. ANR is close enough in quality to be a real competitor to the A20. YMMV

Any reviews on the new Delta with the built in CO detector?

Any reviews on the new Delta with the built in CO detector?
I’ll provide a report in the next few weeks; I have one on order. I use a DC One-X and find it comfortable. I have hearing loss and wear aids and am hoping the Delta’s may allow me to not wear the aids under the headset. I will also borrow an A-20 to compare. I needed another headset regardless so I figured I might as well be a test mule ;)

Back