Someone almost pulled off a Ford

Yikes! Hands shaking and in need of another pair of shorts.

I "liked" the OP as a thanks for the post, not because I liked the video.

Yeah that was almost a Ford. I do have to say that 04R seemed like he was trying to make it more of a big deal than it was. "Taxi back...hands are shaking...." If I see someone lined up to land right where I'm at then I'm moving out of the way, I'm not just going to sit there. Granted I wasn't there but....

oopsie doodles...

I was sitting at the end of the taxiway in Juneau waiting for a 737 to land. As it made the final turn to final and was crabbed into the wind, it appeared to be coming straight towards me. I did keep my eye on it, and had an escape route just in case....

I agree with jd21476, a little too much drama, but again, I wasn't there.

Guy in 04R needed a change of underwear. LOL.

Shows why it’s never a “bad thing” to back up even a “VFR”/“Visual” approach with a precision approach loaded in, or the fancy Garmin centerline extension and fake glide path stuff in the panel when you’ve got it.

Guy in 04R needed a change of underwear. LOL.

Shows why it’s never a “bad thing” to back up even a “VFR”/“Visual” approach with a precision approach loaded in, or the fancy Garmin centerline extension and fake glide path stuff in the panel when you’ve got it.
Pffft! Can't do that in my Luscombe!

Wow. I can’t blame 04R for being shaken up. I’m not sure I’ve been in this situation but I suppose sometimes CAVU can still be IMC. Sometimes at night I load the approach just to verify I’m landing at the right place...perhaps something to consider this when landing into the sun as well.

I am reminded of that horrific crash at HHR? when that T28 ran over the C150...

+1 to that!

Just a question on ADM here. If you're flying VFR and do not have an approach loaded (or don't even have the equipment to do so), the sun is in your face as described, and if you couldn't see the numbers and the threshhold, why would you continue the approach and not go around? Wouldn't this be the same as not being able to make out the runway because of being below visibility minimums? Just thinking that the angle of the sun is going to change by the time you get through the pattern, or at the very longest in 10 to 15 minutes.

Just a question on ADM here. If you're flying VFR and do not have an approach loaded (or don't even have the equipment to do so), the sun is in your face as described, and if you couldn't see the numbers and the threshhold, why would you continue the approach and not go around? Wouldn't this be the same as not being able to make out the runway because of being below visibility minimums? Just thinking that the angle of the sun is going to change by the time you get through the pattern, or at the very longest in 10 to 15 minutes.
Very much apples to oranges in comparison. You can still drive your car with the late day setting sun in your eyes, right? I’ve never been so blinded that I couldn’t see the runway, it just creates an added level of difficulty, but nothing that isn’t easily manageable.

Wow. I can’t blame 04R for being shaken up. I’m not sure I’ve been in this situation but I suppose sometimes CAVU can still be IMC. Sometimes at night I load the approach just to verify I’m landing at the right place...perhaps something to consider this when landing into the sun as well.

I am reminded of that horrific crash at HHR? when that T28 ran over the C150...

Pretty sure that was Compton CPM

Very much apples to oranges in comparison. You can still drive your car with the late day setting sun in your eyes, right? I’ve never been so blinded, that I couldn’t see the runway, it just creates an added level of difficulty, but nothing that isn’t easily manageable.
Not really. There are definitely scenerios where the sun could line up just right that it would make seeing the runway or landing zone nearly impossible. This would be the perfect time for a go around. If there was enough glare that you weren't able to see what lane you were in while driving down the road, I would hope you would have enough common sense to pull over and clean your windshield. The same thing isn't really possible in the plane so your next available option would be to go around and hope the sun had moved a bit before your next try or pick a different runway.

Not really. There are definitely scenerios where the sun could line up just right that it would make seeing the runway or landing zone nearly impossible. This would be the perfect time for a go around. If there was enough glare that you weren't able to see what lane you were in while driving down the road, I would hope you would have enough common sense to pull over and clean your windshield. The same thing isn't really possible in the plane so your next available option would be to go around and hope the sun had moved a bit before your next try or pick a different runway.
Yes, those situations can happen and it’s the pilot’s responsibility to discontinue the approach if it cannot be safely made, but that’s not what I was suggesting in the first post at all. Let’s not create a mountain from a mole hill here.

Man, don’t argue with management. :nono:Just saying. Don’t tug on Superman’s cape.

[sarcasm]

Last edited:
Here's the similar incident with Air Canada at San Francisco. Came very close to landing on several airliners waiting for departure.

About ten years ago I was working the P3 intersection at Oshkosh sorting out GA stuff going north and Vintage going south. I'd just waved a Vintage Bonanza past me when he slammed on the breaks as another Bonanza when screaming buy northbound on Papa (normally a southbound only taxiway). I couldn't figure out why he was taxiing so fast when I realized the guy had just landed on the taxiway.

The next day a bunch of guys came out with buckets of paint and rollers to mark off the taxiway. They seemed to be standing around discussing something for about a half an hour lending me to wonder if they knew how to spell "X".

Here's the similar incident with Air Canada at San Francisco. Came very close to landing on several airliners waiting for departure.

Used to happen with regularity at the old Denver Stapleton airport. There were four parallel hunks of concrete from North to south: 25, 26R, Taxiway C, and 26L A TI (I think it was at the time) flight even managed to land on the taxiway with airline president Frank Lorenzo aboard. Eventually the approach plates were marked with a warning not to mistake C for the 26R.

There are definitely scenarios where the sun could line up just right that it would make seeing the runway or landing zone nearly impossible. This would be the perfect time for a go around.

Recently had such an experience. The sun was very bright on the horizon.

As I got closer to the runway the extremely bright sunlight shining between the tree tops began flashing on and off (creating a "strobing" effect) making the runway pretty difficult to see. As I got fully into the shade I could see that I was higher than I thought and starting to get slow.

Time to put the mixture, carb heat, & throttle to the firewall to go around and try it again. :cool:

I could have no doubt saved the landing but I know how much we all love confessing to doing go-arounds ... :p

Clearly they haven’t flown with Aspen
tenor.gif

:D

Actually, the first instructor I ever had, Cal Walker who was a physics prof at Johns Hopkins attracted a little notoriety at one point by landing one of HopFlight's Cesnas on the taxiway at BWI (this had to be around 1980, 1981)

A buddy flew into this airport at sunset. I’ve walked around at it, but never flew in or out of it. The rwy is “glassphalt”, asphalt and ground glass mixture. It was supposed to be the deal for road and rwy surfaces to improve life expectancy.

Problem is, it’s an east/west rwy. He said when he turned final he was pretty much blinded.

http://www.airnav.com/airport/K07

Landing into the sun is challenging enough as it is.

Clearly they haven’t flown with Aspen

Not to derail this thread, but I have been flying behind an EFD1000 Pro Max for several months with no issues. Then two days ago after landing and taxiing to parking, I looked down and saw the dreaded red X... Looks like a call to the avionics shop is in order. D'oh!

Not to derail this thread, but I have been flying behind an EFD1000 Pro Max for several months with no issues. Then two days ago after landing and taxiing to parking, I looked down and saw the dreaded red X... Looks like a call to the avionics shop is in order. D'oh!
we actually havent seen a thread for the aspen red X in a while, I thought that was a old story (and a old joke on POA) and resolved a while back.

Going to do some research on the red X before calling avionics shops... initial searching shows there may have actually been an issue. I got the Check Pitot Heat annunciation along with the X. Wonder if maybe there was an interruption of ram air or something on the ground? It was also really cold....

Going to do some research on the red X before calling avionics shops... initial searching shows there may have actually been an issue. I got the Check Pitot Heat annunciation along with the X. Wonder if maybe there was an interruption of ram air or something on the ground? It was also really cold....
from what i can recall, if the ram air is blocked (ice on the Pitot?) the red x shows up

I just had that happen. As it turns out, the red X was indicating that the ADAHRS on my trusty old Advanced Flight 4500 has died. $4000+ later, a 5400 is on the way as we speak. I hope to put it in this weekend.

from what i can recall, if the ram air is blocked (ice on the Pitot?) the red x shows up

I don't think I had ice and it only happened on the ground after I landed. Is it possible if there isn't enough ram pressure it will cause the issue?? Like after landing, stopping after clearing the runway and waiting for taxi instructions (which is when it happened to me)?

I just had that happen. As it turns out, the red X was indicating that the ADAHRS on my trusty old Advanced Flight 4500 has died
D'oh! Sorry man.

D'oh! Sorry man.
Probably a blessing. The 4500 was 10 years old. It's the curse of modern avionics...replacement becomes an ongoing maintenance expense that has to be planned for. OTOH, most of the flight instruments on the FBO's training 172M's are the same gauges the plane came with.

Is it possible if there isn't enough ram pressure it will cause the issue??
that shouldnt be the cause, but i am not at all familiar with aspen and the failure modes. its highly unlikely that red x would show up just because you are moving slow or on the ground

we had a mooney in NH crash into the trees short of the runway because the sun blinded him... really nice guy. He said he knew he should have gone around, but didnt. The local pilot group actually sent an email out suggesting that if the wind isnt too bad, consider landing to the east around sunset.

Back