What Is Your Favorite Plane

istock-1001571222.jpg

Warbird: Douglas Sky Raider
Low,Slow and local: Hughes 500 ... straight from TC’s hangar
traveling plane: PC-24
Camping with family: Huey

Who here can say they've shared the pattern with one?

I have. Kadena Air Base, summer 1985. :p

I got my PPL at the Kadena Aero Club and shared the pattern with a lot of cool planes. Mostly though, I burned up the hobbs meter taxiing and holding short for the big guys.

Cardinal is the sexiest high wing of them all. Looks fast just sitting on the ramp! Also darn stable to fly. Vey nice paint scheme..,

My favorite airplane has always been the Douglas Dauntless.

Seeing as I’ll never own one, I’m quite happy with the Beech 18.

Of all the airplanes I’ve ever flown, the Twin Beech is by far the most enjoyable.

Too many great choices, but hands down, it has to be the Staggerwing.

I got my PPL at the Kadena Aero Club and shared the pattern with a lot of cool planes. Mostly though, I burned up the hobbs meter taxiing and holding short for the big guys.

My first 18.9 hours were flown at Kadena. I shared the pattern with one of these..okay I didn't share the pattern, they kicked me out to hold over Kadena Circle while it did a few touch and goes but I had a ring side seat.

SR-71-1.jpg

My first 18.9 hours were flown at Kadena. I shared the pattern with one of these..okay I didn't share the pattern, they kicked me out to hold over Kadena Circle while it did a few touch and goes but I had a ring side seat.

SR-71-1.jpg
Oh I like the SR22 Blackbird... I knew an Air force guy that refuelled them... Said they were one big fuel cell, that leaked... The shape of the 22would be wet with fuel on the concrete under it.

Oh I like the SR22 Blackbird... I knew an Air force guy that refuelled them... Said they were one big fuel cell, that leaked... The shape of the 22would be wet with fuel on the concrete under it.
Hence the need for a refueling tanker not too long after takeoff, lol.

One of my former bosses was a boom operator on the Q model KC-135 (SR-71 tanker) before commissioning into airfield management. He brought in an old VHS tape of a night re-fuel which was pretty cool. The guy that financed my plane used to fly the Q. Small world.

Last edited:
Wish I had the balls to fly one...I don’t (a man has to know his limitations):7033A30A-9E52-4BE7-985A-ECDF20B76F9F.jpeg

BeechcraftD17S_e2.jpg

Staggerwing is still my favorite GA bird.

My Dad lusted after one of those . I saw a Maroon one in a hanger in Calgary Alberta back in 1980 . Understood his fascination with it.
There were about 10 Classic airplanes in that hanger . A lake amphibian , Some I had no clue as to the make. My son and I had a few hours to kill so we spent it at the airport. We were allowed full run of the big hanger with instructions not to touch any thing. In the back of the Hanger were two super cubs frames stripped to the bones and sitting on sawhorses. They were being rebuilt from the ground up. all welds were x rayed. ( Bush Planes in from the far north ). Also a helicopter gear box repair shop there. the gearbox repair room was air locked like a high security infectious disease room. Double door, air pressure locks to get in . The work benches were cleaner then my meticulous wife's bleached counters. A great afternoon.

Back