Maximum performance maneuvers

Wagondriver

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
375Taylor
I’m just starting my commercial training, have not yet had the maneuvers demonstrated to me. But, I have watched a few videos and read how they are to be performed.
I tried my first chandelle, entered at about 110, rolled 30 left, pulled for what felt like a pretty steep pitch up attitude. At 90 started rolling out, as I approached 180 degrees, I thought, well, that was easy. But then I looked down at the airspeed and I was still doing 80, with nearly 20 degrees nose up with speed not decreasing much at all. My recollection is I gained about 1200’. I was not at full power, full throttle, but 2300 rpm, max is 2700.
With nearly 300hp, at 300 or so pounds under gross, with a forward cg, it feels like I’m going to break the yoke. On successive attempts, I rolled in a bunch of trim, but still only got airspeed down to 60, with quite heavy up elevator pressure. Never done a clean power on stall, but I’d guess around 40 to 45. For reference, power off indicates about 37. Power on full flaps, airspeed will indicate near zero, with stall horn, but no break.
I started at 9000’, should I enter slower? Is that ok, or use a lower power setting? Or grow a pair?

I’m just starting my commercial training, have not yet had the maneuvers demonstrated to me. But, I have watched a few videos and read how they are to be performed.
I tried my first chandelle, entered at about 110, rolled 30 left, pulled for what felt like a pretty steep pitch up attitude. At 90 started rolling out, as I approached 180 degrees, I thought, well, that was easy. But then I looked down at the airspeed and I was still doing 80, with nearly 20 degrees nose up with speed not decreasing much at all. My recollection is I gained about 1200’. I was not at full power, full throttle, but 2300 rpm, max is 2700.
With nearly 300hp, at 300 or so pounds under gross, with a forward cg, it feels like I’m going to break the yoke. On successive attempts, I rolled in a bunch of trim, but still only got airspeed down to 60, with quite heavy up elevator pressure. Never done a clean power on stall, but I’d guess around 40 to 45. For reference, power off indicates about 37. Power on full flaps, airspeed will indicate near zero, with stall horn, but no break.
I started at 9000’, should I enter slower? Is that ok, or use a lower power setting? Or grow a pair?

What airplane do you fly?

1953 cessna 180. 520 with an 86” Mac 401, sportsman cuff

Note that you don't have to use full power. The Commercial ACS even mentions this, "appropriate power" for chandelles, "no less than 65%" for power-on stalls, and refers to Appendix 6 and 7 (Safety of Flight, Limitations, etc.). I believe they included these caveats exactly for high-powered aircraft such as yours.

My examiner wanted to see the maneuvers at full power as the purpose of them is to simulate rising terrain or a box canyon. The trick is to enter at a slower speed.

Constant bank changing pitch through the first 90 degrees, constant pitch changing bank through the second 90 degrees. You did the maneuver too quickly. The rate of the turn changes with airspeed. The purpose of the commercial maneuvers is to demonstrate you know aerodynamic principals.

Note that you don't have to use full power. The Commercial ACS even mentions this, "appropriate power" for chandelles, "no less than 65%" for power-on stalls, and refers to Appendix 6 and 7 (Safety of Flight, Limitations, etc.). I believe they included these caveats exactly for high-powered aircraft such as yours.

And for applicants demonstrating the maneuver in a multi engine aircraft.

My examiner wanted to see the maneuvers at full power as the purpose of them is to simulate rising terrain or a box canyon. The trick is to enter at a slower speed.
Your examiner is gonna get somebody killed.

as @Clip4 said,
The purpose of the commercial maneuvers is to demonstrate you know aerodynamic principals.

Are you likely to have full power available when faced with such a difficult terrain scenario?

And an inadvertent power-on stall is more likely at high DA, where you might only have 65% available.

Make sure you're starting at maneuvering speed. Then tell your DPE what speed you're targeting. He didn't have a problem not going to a stall but yours might be different.

Back