Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Roland Donnell
Under the Maps options

Roads/Borders

VFR

IFR

When the VFR option is selected the map does not move under my position with a flight plan. In flight when I drag the map to my position the map will recenter on my point of departure if I touch the recenter button. The map will move and center under my position if I add/select VFR under the charts option.

Under the Charts options

VFR

WAC

IFR Low

IFR High

User guide does not address this limitation. Am I missing something? Thanks

First, what platform/OS/version?

I cannot duplicate your issue in my La-Z-Boy this morning. If I move the map off my current location, toggling through all the charts and maps options does not move the map.

I am not aware of any feature that goes to point of departure.

iPad Air 2, iOS 14.2, GP 10.3.3.

Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 Android/windows version 7.0

Garmin 7.6.4

Okay try this.

Enter three waypoints for a flight plan about 50 miles apart from each other more or less on a straight flight path.

WP 1_____WP2 (your current location) _____WP3

Now in the map mode with the route being displayed press the (center on aircraft) icon. This shifts the map and centers me back to WP1 instead of my current position. In flight the same results unless I have selected VFR US Charts but on the ground now I’m still returned to WP1 instead of my current location. ???

No joy. The “center on current position” works reliably for me regardless of which map or chart. Sorry, maybe an Android user can help.

Last edited:
Android version has a reputation for being buggy. Call Garmin and see what they say.

Well big Homer Simpson DOH! Enabled Center with Nav/Track under General Settings (first time to use) prior to a return flight not knowing how it would affect the map display. It performed exactly as was designed but I didn’t know what that was until trying to solve the odd map behavior I was having.

So problem resolved after turning the feature off. Thanks for the responses and links.

Back