Spatial Disorientation Today

jimhorner

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Jim Horner
Had a really bad bit of Spatial Disorientation today. It’s usually pretty rare for me to get affected by the leans, but today it was pretty bad. The weather this morning was pretty lousy with few at 200, scattered at 700, and broken at 1100 at San Jose (KSJC). Stockton was reporting Low IFR with ceilings of 300. Tops were around 4700 feet. In other words, a great day to go get my 6 approaches done for the month.

I was doing the SUNOL1 departure from 31L. This involves climbing on runway heading of 306 until 1.8DME past the SJC VOR, then a right turn to heading of 043 to intercept the SJC 009 radial and following that to the SUNOL intersection.

I entered the clouds in my straight ahead climb, and all was well until turning to the 043 heading. The initial turn to that heading was fine, but after leveling the wings, my body would have bet a million dollars that it was still in a steep right bank. It was a real struggle to believe the AI, HSI, and Turn coordinator. My brain was telling me I was wings level, but, man, my body certainly didn’t agree. I finally had to punch on the autopilot in heading and VS mode and didn’t get over the leans until several minutes after breaking out on top at 4800 feet. Kinda scary. It was a real fight to trust the instruments when my body was screaming the it was in an increasing right bank. Wow...

Last edited:
Been There.
Thanks for sharing.
Not all of us can or will admit it.

I obtained my Instrument Rating this week. I have <3 hours of actual instrument. I'm worried about being solo pilot w/o an autopilot. Thanks for sharing.

I'm trying to understand what brings on this circumstance in otherwise experienced IFR pilots. When I read about these situations, particularly in the accident reports, there's always a "there but for the Grace of God..." thought process.

This isn't the first time you've made a climbing turn in IMC. What was different this time? Because I am certain every one of us flying IFR is going to go through one of these experiences at some point...

I’m soon going to be taking IR instruction. Are there any physical, mental, fatigue patterns that you see in yourselves that’ll make you more apt to get SD?

I'm trying to understand what brings on this circumstance in otherwise experienced IFR pilots. When I read about these situations, particularly in the accident reports, there's always a "there but for the Grace of God..." thought process.

This isn't the first time you've made a climbing turn in IMC. What was different this time? Because I am certain every one of us flying IFR is going to go through one of these experiences at some point...

Hard to say what the difference was. I've flown this same departure in IMC multiple times without any issues. I was able to keep level even though I felt like I was in a roll, but turning on the autopilot helped a lot in getting over the situation. The key is to have a rigid adherence to trusting the instruments, but it certainly helps to have an autopilot which doesn't get fooled by the inner ear and let it do the flying while getting the leans straightend out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I obtained my Instrument Rating this week. I have <3 hours of actual instrument. I'm worried about being solo pilot w/o an autopilot. Thanks for sharing.

Got to trust those instruments regardless no matter how hard it is. If you feel you can't trust the instruments in IMC you're a goner already.

I’m soon going to be taking IR instruction. Are there any physical, mental, fatigue patterns that you see in yourselves that’ll make you more apt to get SD?

Good question. Hard to say. I can't see anything different today from my previous times flying this departure in IMC. The density altitude was minus something, so perhaps the extra performance and climb rate acceleration had something to do with it? I don't really know.

I try to get at least 6 approaches in real IMC every month, and I will say that instrument flying is a very perishable skill. I don't think I'd be at all comfortable flying an approach to minimums not having done any for real using just the FAA currency requirements.

Other than the leans on departure, it was a fun flight. The RNAV 29R LPV DA at Stockton is 232 MSL, and I was breaking out at around 280-300, so it was close to the minumum. Good practice. And with the tops at around 4700 and me at 2000 on each approach, I was in the soup for pretty much the whole time. Never did get the leans again after the initial departure even though the missed instructions specified a climbing turn to a heading of 050 and 2000ft on each missed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I really think it comes down to proficiency. Over the summer, there wasn’t any IMC, and flying the Foggles just the minimum amount didn’t keep me proficient.

Then recently when I hit the soup solid at 200ft AGL on takeoff (not just busting brought a layer), and ATC gave me a climbing turn, I was surprised at how hard it was, and how much concentration it took. This was something I’ve done 1000 times. But I hadn’t done it for months. I was rusty as heck.

This was a good learning experience for me. I didn’t consider myself complacent, but I really was.

Happened to me a few weeks ago getting vectored around in the soup. My wife, sitting in the copilot seat, starts rolling her head around because apparently her neck was sore. I caught it out of my periphery and man did it get me screwed up. I barked at her to stop moving her head like that please! It made me feel like the damn plane was all over the place. She didn’t speak to me until we were on the ground and I apologized and explained what had happened.

Got to trust those instruments regardless no matter how hard it is. If you feel you can't trust the instruments in IMC you're a goner already.
Yep...although 'goner already' is a little harsh :) I fully expect all my training will allow me to trust the instruments. I still anticipate it will be an anxious moment when entering real IMC for the first time w/o the assurance of a CFII sitting beside me nor the possible reprieve an autopilot might afford should SD set in.

Last edited:
Yep...although 'goner already' is a little harsh :) I fully expect all my training will allow me to trust the instruments. It still anticipate it will be an anxious moment when entering real IMC for the first time w/o the assurance of a CFII sitting beside me nor the possible reprieve an autopilot might afford should SD set in.
SD happens without getting into IMC as well.... at night under right conditions.
ask me how i know it :(

And then there’s me... the trick is to get this OFTEN enough that you just accept it!

I would just brief my crew, and soothing attitude “sugar calls” would help me through it. My clue to them was, “this would be easier if lead would just stop doing barrel rolls...!”

Night formation in IMC about got me on a regular basis. Seriously, happened enough that the once in a while while single plane vertigo I just knew the deal and FOCUSED on the basics. “Gyro nose, gyro wing, gyro nose, gyro wing, gyro performance, gyro other” lather rinse repeat.

I think the best defense is a good offense. Fess up! Brief whom ever is with you, if qualified, to simply give you reassurance attitude calls. If solo and really uncomfortable, tell ATC you need a little straight and level. This conscience level of acknowledgement is priceless.

I had a two-hour lesson under the hood when I was working on my commercial...started off with a steep 720 each direction that tumbled my inner ear, and I battled it for the rest of the flight. I could barely walk, but drove home anyway. :rolleyes: Couldn’t even focus well enough to read when I got home. It was ugly. Good thing the instructor didn’t notice.o_O

I believe, for me at least, that if you hand fly instruments for an extended period without breaking out, such disorientation is almost inevitable. When it happens you darn sure better have learned to trust your instruments.

Not long after moving to Ocean City, Mary and I were headed out and it was IFR conditions at the field. Typically conditions are between 300' and 700' and I usually give it some additional time to clear. I knew the layer wasn't more then a thousand or fifteen hundred feet so I launched. Here at OXB you always fly 270 until Patuxent ID's you then they turn you on your way. My initial climb out and turn to 270 was fine, as I leveled out and climbed on heading my body kept telling me we were still turning. The scan locks for an instant as the brain and body sync and then the scan goes into overdrive and things are returned to normal.

As others mentioned, single pilot IFR is no joke. The Sundowner had no autopilot. Looking back at all those flights in IMC I don't think I could still fly as far or long as I used to. Skills do perish with lack of use, and although current, I am in no way as proficient as I was back when I flew so many hours and without an autopilot. At least we can all work towards keeping proficient in the right conditions and get back to flying **** hot as one of my instructors used to say.

It's more than trusting your instruments, it's convincing your brain that everything you have known since you learned to walk is wrong and this little round tumbly thing in front of you is an accurate representation of the world. It's hard to trust the ADI saying you're wings level when it literally feels like you're about to fall out of your chair.

Beyond that, it can, and has (fatally) caused people to misinterpret their instruments. You may be trusting them entirely but not processing the data correctly.

I've flown with pilots with thousands of hours in all sorts of conditions and a simple turn at night in VMC but no discernable horizon over water is enough to tumble their internal gyros.

Great post OP. Glad you were able to process the disorientation and it's awesome you came back to share the experience with us.

Other than getting a few hours of aerobatics training, Is anyone aware of specific physical exercises one can perform to help “condition” themselves to handle the effects of sd?

Other than getting a few hours of aerobatics training, Is anyone aware of specific physical exercises one can perform to help “condition” themselves to handle the effects of sd?

Well, I’m not really sure that aerobatics training would help. I do a bit of aerobatics on an occasional basis, mainly positive g stuff, and I still got the leans on this flight. Acro is done, after all, in VFR conditions where there are lots of outside visual references to help with orientation.

I kinda doubt that any physical exercises would help. The physical cause of the SD is having the fluid in the inner ear telling our brains that our bodies are doing one thing and having no outside visual references to convince our brain otherwise. I can’t think of any physical exercises that would help to override this. I’d love to be proven wrong about this, however.

I do wonder if having one of those big glass screens with synthetic vision reduces SD compared to a 3inch attitude indicator. More of a big simulated horizon that the brain can use to override the inner ear.

It's happened to everyone who flies IMC, I'll bet. It's especially disconcerting during departure or climbs. That's where training and discipline comes in. It is possible that the enhanced performance in cooler temperatures, which, for example could lead to a higher climb rate at Vy, could alter the usual sensations during climbout. In the summer I'm about 10 degrees nose high at Vy and maybe 700 fpm with a typical load, but with sub-freezing temps now I can climb at Vy at 12.5 degrees nose up solo at 1000+ fpm, and that feels distinctly different even when VFR.

Walking around in the dark after a night of heavy drinking is the closest sensation to being all twisted up in the air I can come up with so I’m not real sure how to prepare for that situation. Aerobatic training wouldn’t help in my opinion.

Walking around in the dark after a night of heavy drinking is the closest sensation to being all twisted up in the air I can come up with so I’m not real sure how to prepare for that situation. Aerobatic training wouldn’t help in my opinion.

Alcohol can be the cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems. :)

Having a solid awareness is the key to coping with spatial disorientation. It’s not, like, okay, let’s go practice SD today, right?

I have only experienced SD a few times in almost 20,000 hours. The last time was in a normal climbing turn into the clouds. As soon as I entered the clouds, Boom!!!, it happened. It came from nowhere. I was like “whatta’ heck?, wow, I am SD-ed!”. Because it is an extremely rare experience, I kind of welcomed it and took advantage of the chance then and turned it into real-time training (like I had a choice:rolleyes:). Back to basics, back to when I was an active CFII: “Attitude, airspeed, attitude, altitude, attitude, heading...”. All of us know to ignore our feelings and to trust the instruments. The only thing that will keep you safe in SD is an unwavering will. That is something you can practice everyday.

Juggy, my experiences and response has been almost the same. Always got the SD while climbing and then into the clouds. To use your expression, Boom!!! Now, when climbing and about to enter the clouds, I make it a point to get on the AI and gages before so that my focus is not on the outside environment but on the AI and panel. That way I’ve seem to avoid the occurrences. I almost now look forward to the experience of cloud entry, in a perverse way, to get past the challenge that I expect may be coming up.

Had a really bad bit of Spatial Disorientation today. It’s usually pretty rare for me to get affected by the leans, but today it was pretty bad. The weather this morning was pretty lousy with few at 200, scattered at 700, and broken at 1100 at San Jose (KSJC). Stockton was reporting Low IFR with ceilings of 300. Tops were around 4700 feet. In other words, a great day to go get my 6 approaches done for the month.

I was doing the SUNOL1 departure from 31L. This involves climbing on runway heading of 306 until 1.8DME past the SJC VOR, then a right turn to heading of 043 to intercept the SJC 009 radial and following that to the SUNOL intersection.

I entered the clouds in my straight ahead climb, and all was well until turning to the 043 heading. The initial turn to that heading was fine, but after leveling the wings, my body would have bet a million dollars that it was still in a steep right bank. It was a real struggle to believe the AI, HSI, and Turn coordinator. My brain was telling me I was wings level, but, man, my body certainly didn’t agree. I finally had to punch on the autopilot in heading and VS mode and didn’t get over the leans until several minutes after breaking out on top at 4800 feet. Kinda scary. It was a real fight to trust the instruments when my body was screaming the it was in an increasing right bank. Wow...

Thanks for sharing. It can happen to anyone and the "trust the instruments!" part is critical.

Yep. Single pilot, manual flying, piston single IFR in IMC is no joke.

Amen to that. It's so much like work that I know retired airline pilots who will not do it. Then there are private pilots like me who won't do it anymore for that very reason.

Yep. Single pilot, manual flying, piston single IFR in IMC is no joke.

Is it the single piston part that is the key detriment here? Genuinely curious as I actually haven't ever experienced it, but I have multi turbine time in the same (single, no AP) and it wasn't awful.

On a missed approach, I dropped a pen once in IMC and looked down. That was all that it took. I always carry a spare in my pocket for that reason.

Hehe, in the navy we had “spin and puke.” Not sure how effective it was. Picture carnival spinning teacups for 8 hrs at a crack!

whoa....

It happens to everyone at some point. I have always thought that the most challenging part of IMC flying was taking off with a low ceiling where you enter IMC very soon after takeoff.

One thing you mentioned that is very important and something that I always try to do - make SURE your heading bug is set at runway heading prior to take off and continually adjusted as your heading changes. That obviously allows you to quickly let the AP take over if you need it. Even an older legacy AP can almost be used as if it had a "Level" button as long as you have that heading bug set on your current heading.

I think flying approaches is much easier than take offs. If you get the airplane set up and stabilized it can almost fly the approach by itself. Departures have always been more challenging to me.

Thanks for sharing, new here, but had the same thing, kind of, recently happen to me. I'm working on my CFI-I in south Florida, out of KOPF (Opa Locka), we're out doing our CFI-I "stuff" later in the day so I can shoot some night approaches, maintain night currency and do some from the right seat.

The approach controllers are vectoring us around like crazy, I'm under the hood, dark night over the city, heading easy over the water. There are ZERO instruments on my side, so have to focus on the left panel. Well,I look down at the my iPad at the approach chart and up again to the panel before I make the turn and I would bet my LIFE that I was in the turn, but I wasn't yet. I start to make the turn to intercept the final approach course, and I truly didn't know which way my body was telling me I was. Spatially disoriented at 1000FT, in a turn, over water at night.

Now, I announced I was SDO, that I was fighting, hard to believe and follow instruments.
It was the hardest flying I have done in years.
I would have swore we were in the turn still and descending, when I intercepted the LOC inbound.

MY CFI didn't say anything until I had intercepted the GS and told him I was better and actually flew a really nice ILS.

He told me that he was watching, glad I said something and had his hands on the controls and ready to take over and make a call out "his controls" and was almost ready to do so.

It blew me away how quickly this happened. It was in a 172 with NO AP, and maybe I did a good job because he was in left seat. Boy as a New CFI-I and an experienced IFR pilot this was a lesson.

[QUOTE="
I try to get at least 6 approaches in real IMC every month, and I will say that instrument flying is a very perishable skill. I don't think I'd be at all comfortable flying an approach to minimums not having done any for real using just the FAA currency requirements [/QUOTE]
I feel the same way. I just got my IR last summer. I was able to do quite a bit of IMC flying until the end of October. Now its ice season here in Michigan! I haven't poked my head into the clouds since. To me foggles really don't represent IMC vary well. I'm able to stay FAA current with the foggles but I don't feel I am proficient anymore. I sure hope my CFII is still around come spring! For those who live in the north. How do you stay proficient over the winter?

Do you guys with a lot of time in IMC find that flying behind say a G1000 with a large display helps prevent SD and/or recovery from it? I'm instrument rated but rarely fly in IMC. I've been considering upgrading to a G3X Touch from my steam gauges.

Back