Strongest Crosswind I ever landed in...(VIDEO)

Great video! Nice of you to take the time to produce these so well. And you seem to have a wonderful family.

One thing I’ve noticed is that crosswind effects often reduce markedly in ground effect - after a huge crab on approach, once into ground effect sometimes in the flare there’s little or no need for much crosswind correction. Has something to do with surface friction.

I think I saw this in your video. Do you recall noticing it as well?

I have noticed that as well in the 6 and previous PA28 I owned. Maybe less so in the Cessna because of the high wing but it is a really good point and observation. Once in ground effect things always seem to just settle out and stabilize.

I thought the sweatshirt special effects were well done!

Good flying video and ADM too.

Thanks!!

Same! To lots of folks on this forum and a couple of folks who produce videos that have kept me entertained and provided really good info (like the one on the TruTrak Ap)... I probably owe about 100 beers to various folks here. The first OSH that happens after we are allowed to venture out is going to be epic... not in terms of beers bought for others, but just in terms of getting to hopefully meet some of you in person!

I started making these videos to share with others and I have really been missing the personal interaction aspect of this experience. I'd love to do fly ins and meet ups and talk flying with fellow aviators and I get some of that with people stopping by the hangar and keeping a distance but it's not the same. Looking forward to when things are more normal - hopefully OSH in the summer- that would be super fun.

My only crosswind recommendation is to keep your control inputs in throughout the rollout. I noticed you leveled your ailerons pretty quickly after touching down (see 14:15) You actually need to increase the deflection as you slow down, with full aileron deflection as you slow to a taxi. Then just transition inputs as necessary as you taxi off the runway.

This will keep gusts of wind from blowing you off the runway after touchdown. Some folks have a tendency of giving proper control input right until the point of touchdown, but then just level all of the controls once both mains are rolling. Doing so will cause the crosswind to try to drift you of the runway, which you will likely respond with lots of correcting nose wheel and rudder (which was opposite just moments ago). Keep the aileron in and the plane won't try to steer to the downwind side of the runway.

I almost put that in the video as I was editing I noticed I didn't keep the control inputs. I know better but the Six's weight has made me lazy about it. I really need to keep those inputs going after touchdown!

I haven't been following your videos closely, but it seems like on all three approaches you may have been fast, not just high. This is a natural tendency in gusty conditions. Combined with partial flaps, you were probably flying nearly 10 knots faster than usual on approach, to a high density altitude field, and then add in the plateau visual illusion that makes for high approaches. I think you fixated on the wind issues for the approach, to a bit of neglect of the density altitude and visual challenges. Even for a long runway, that is dicey, and likely something you don't practice much. A suggestion would be to practice no-flap approaches more often so you are current on what that will feel/look like.

I was intentionally high and a little fast on the approach especially the first two times. I have flown into that airport on rwy 21 at least 4 times previous and Catalina dozens of times so know the drill about the unusual visual references and it is definitely a good point. I was high to avoid the unpredictable nature of downdrafts at the approach end of that runway which I have experienced before. (I was playing it safe on the first approach and easing down on the second to feel out that area of the runway). I had added 3 knots for one notch of flap reduction and half the gust factor for my approach speed. I still may have been a little over that- mostly to feel out the winds and keep roll authority. The Six gets pretty mushy on a full stall landing. I wasn't really worried about running out of runway, even with the 1.8 degree downslope...the runway is over 5000 feet long. I definitely want to practice no flap landings more as it is not something I practice very much. Good note.

LOL...maybe his Cherokee had an STC for massive dive brakes, or a chute. I'm pretty sure a Cirrus under parachute descends at around 58 degrees or so with any wind on downwind. :D
My previous glider (shown in my photo) had 70 degree flaps. It would glide at about 2:1(30 degrees) with full flaps and felt like I was standing near vertical in the cockpit, Was probably about a 45 degree pitch down from level flight without flaps.

The plane was actually designed for 90 degree speed limiting flaps, meaning it could be put in a vertical dive and never exceed the 150mph Vne speed. Mine had been modified to use only 70 degrees flaps. During flight testing it was measured that in a vertical dive it actually required about a 110 degree pitch down to descend vertically.

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

Last edited:
My previous glider (shown in my photo) had 70 degree flaps. It would glide at about 2:1(30 degrees) with full flaps and felt like I was standing near vertical in the cockpit, Was probably about a 45 degree pitch down from level flight without flaps.

The plane was actually designed for 90 degree speed limiting flaps, meaning it could be put in a vertical dive and never exceed the 150mph Vne speed. Mine had been modified to use only 70 degrees flaps. During flight testing it was measured that in a vertical dive it actually required about a 110 degree pitch down to descend vertically.

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

Neat. Though 2:1 is a 27 degree descent angle. Your glider clearly doesn't hold a candle to the descent of a 140 Cherokee. :D

Neat. Though 2:1 is a 27 degree descent angle. Your glider clearly doesn't hold a candle to the descent of a 140 Cherokee. :D
I am sure you are right. I am remembering my geometry wrong. what I get for not looking it up.

Brian

My wife (at the time) had a weak stomach and she puked at least 20 times in the 500 hours or more we flew. That never stopped her from getting right back in the plane for the next trip. She actually became very good at it- she would just quietly get a large zip lock bag and turn to the side. I called her the “stealth barfer”

I think these are excellent videos of outstanding quality. Putting these together obviously takes a tremendous amount of time and skill. As a family man, I love the memories you are creating for your family and they’ll be telling these tales for decades. Thank you for sharing with us. You are very blessed.

Great video. I appreciate the thoughtful and humble way you approach aviation. Walking through the decision making process is really beneficial to students and low-time pilots. Heck, any pilot. Also, your skills as a visual story teller are fantastic and we get to enjoy the result.

Thanks!

My wife (at the time) had a weak stomach and she puked at least 20 times in the 500 hours or more we flew. That never stopped her from getting right back in the plane for the next trip. She actually became very good at it- she would just quietly get a large zip lock bag and turn to the side. I called her the “stealth barfer”
I will tell my wife all this if she ever starts to give me grief about barfing once or twice. Haha!

I think these are excellent videos of outstanding quality. Putting these together obviously takes a tremendous amount of time and skill. As a family man, I love the memories you are creating for your family and they’ll be telling these tales for decades. Thank you for sharing with us. You are very blessed.

Great video. I appreciate the thoughtful and humble way you approach aviation. Walking through the decision making process is really beneficial to students and low-time pilots. Heck, any pilot. Also, your skills as a visual story teller are fantastic and we get to enjoy the result.

Thanks!

Oh man you guys really made my day. Thank you so much. It means a lot to me that you recognize the energy I put in and my attempt at a responsible approach to putting this kind of content out there. Thank you for the nice words!

Oh man you guys really made my day. Thank you so much. It means a lot to me that you recognize the energy I put in and my attempt at a responsible approach to putting this kind of content out there. Thank you for the nice words!

When I watch your videos I can't help but wonder.......... do you ever get any bathroom time..?? :lol::lol: I mean 3 against 1 and all....

I mean 3 against 1 and all....

Haha yeah... I always feel outnumbered and it is just my wife and 1 daughter. They gang up on me. I am convinced they hold secret meetings in the garage plotting against me.

Wouldn't trade it for the world, though!

Back