How to Not Quit?

The only way to quit is to stop trying.

I suspect that nearly 100% of us have had issues somewhere along the line in training, I know I did. 2020 is especially hard because of all the current issues surrounding Mexican beer. We bought our hot air balloon a year ago, have done 3 lessons with it with a total of 3.5 hours of flight time. And this is for two pilots with a combined total of more than 10k flight hours trying to add on what’s not difficult of a rating at all (but as we’ve discovered is more difficult as far as getting all the necessary components together).

Chin up - you will get through this, and you’re close. Get the night requirement knocked out with your instructor first (at least I’d view that as the higher priority - much easier to do this time of year anyway), then start working on the check ride prep and solo flying to make sure your landings and maneuvers are up to snuff.

As I look back on my flying career thus far and the few thousand hours, in many ways I’m envious of you and those who are at the very beginning of your journey. Yes there are limitations and frustrations you’re dealing with, but you’ve got a whole lot of amazing experiences ahead of you to look forward to. For me and those of us with more time, those experiences and excitement are largely behind us. They make for good stories to tell to those who will listen, but the real fun and excitement was living them and knowing they were in front of us.

Last edited:
[mention]SkyChaser [/mention] which airport are you in? I am not far off from you and most of my flights takes me to MN for one reason or another. [mention]Sinistar [/mention] Brad might be closer to you than me we often meet here and there for no particular reason. Actually we were planning to meet today too and fly to SD, but looking at various wx models, I don’t thinking Brad is going anywhere.

Happy to stop by and say hello and take you up.

Hang in there, I had to put a stop to my 4th IR training due to covid and it’s frustrating. Just a part of the process.

Last edited:
Marching band command from every music director!

Also applies to parents commanding their children.

“First they’re born and you can’t wait for them to walk and talk, then you tell them to sit down and shut up.”

[mention]SkyChaser[/mention] which airport are you in?

I fly out of Estherville (KEST) in northern IA, so a bit out of the way, but thanks for the offer! There are airports closer, though. :)

I fly out of Estherville (KEST) in northern IA, so a bit out of the way, but thanks for the offer! There are airports closer, though. :)
I am in Austin (Kaum). How close is that to you?
Alway remember that the goal is to fly.
Flying before your test ride is flying.
Enjoy every minute you are in control of a plane.

Well, first things first:
giphy.gif

Now that we've got that out of the way, let me assure you that almost everyone goes through this. When I was working on SP, I went through 4 instructors, losing time and sliding back with every change. Not to mention multiple airplanes (mech issues, etc.). Add in the typical wx cancellations. Then, when it came time for my checkride, a hurricane rolled through central Florida on the week we had planned and I couldn't reschedule for 6 weeks. GAAAHHH!!!!

Then there's my PP certificate. Halfway through I had a kidney stone and was grounded for a couple of months, during which time my CFI took an airline gig and I had to switch to a new guy. (Brand new CFI - I was his first student to send to a checkride.) On the day of my ride, we did the oral but winds were too high for the flight portion. Of course, that was when the DPE became unavailable and I had about a two month delay. I was originally signed off for the ride in late March but it took until late June to finally complete it.

I've been trying to take a rental up for weeks now. Blown out by wx several times, then the plane was grounded for a mech issue. I was supposed to go up Friday, but the necessary part still hadn't arrived. I'll call the school tomorrow and see if the plane is fixed yet.

And I won't even start about the frustrations I've had trying to find a plane to purchase.

C'est la general aviation. What you're going through is very very common.

Put the time to use and you might not feel so frustrated. For instance, you can begin prepping for your oral exam. Arrange to do some ground school reviews, maybe a mock oral, with your CFI, since you could do that over the phone or zoom. Also, stay connected even if it's just going to the airport to hang out a bit and look at airplanes.

Suck it up buttercup! There is no participation trophy for almost.

You can do this! Give the CFI a kick in her drawers too, you need to finish.

Well that’s not that far, definitely closer to Brad than me, but I won’t mind going there. Now when you get your certificate, you will encounter other frustrations .... for example, this is the 2nd time we planned on going to KATY, and didn’t work

Home of the world famous @tonycondon who not only has a shift key on his keyboard now (that one took a while), but he’s also a DPE (I think that was why he got the shift key).

I am in Austin (Kaum). How close is that to you?
Alway remember that the goal is to fly.
Flying before your test ride is flying.
Enjoy every minute you are in control of a plane.

I think this is key. If you enjoy flying, fly. Doesn’t really matter if you have the certificate yet.

I had some similar experiences with maintenance and airport closure issues that delayed my private substantially. I got repeated cross country to airport endorsements and also started flying around looking at airports and the geography of the nearby areas from a unique perspective.

This year particularly has more than it’s normal share of challenges. So as others have mentioned, find other things and training in the meantime and enjoy the journey.

And you might consider finding a CFI somewhere warmer and taking off a couple of weeks to finish up the whole thing. Before much longer you're going to need to learn to land on skis if you stay where your are.

:D

Another one to say - stick with it! Once you pass your checkride it will be worth it. Had to remind myself of this last week - I have been studying and prepping for my IR for months now. Checkride day came and had to be postponed two weeks with a different DPE. So now I need to stay sharp and keep studying enough, it not too much to burn out, for the next week. Went flying today just for the heck of it to remind myself why we do this. Cause we love it and are addicted to it. Tomorrow I will break out my notes and the study guides and the FAR/AIm and the Instrument Flying Handbook etc..... and keep going untIl checkride day. And if we get wx’ed out.... well.... that’s life. It’s worth it in the end. Hang in there. When I pass my IR ride it will be another one of those moments where I feel like all that prep and time put in was worth it. You will too!

And you might consider finding a CFI somewhere warmer and taking off a couple of weeks to finish up the whole thing. Before much longer you're going to need to learn to land on skis if you stay where your are.

:D

I think it will feel like I'm landing on skis whether or not I actually am come January or so. LOL So far, it's been an okay year for no ice on the runway, but that will change, I am sure! If I take a few weeks off and go some place warmer, I may never come back... :)

Every hour flying counts the same in your logbook, whether it is before or after a check ride. Don’t stress over it, the time will come. By summer we should well past most of this.

When I started lessons, I made a commitment to myself to fly twice a week till I was done--as I'd seen the good advice in several places that flying often was the surest path to finishing with minimal hours and expense racked up. Once I got into the process, I'd have occasional cancellations due to weather (mostly), aircraft or instructor availability, or my own availability due to work. At the time, none of these seemed particularly onerous.

When I finished, I looked back at my log and was very surprised to see I'd averaged just three flights per month (so yeah, it took me over a year to get my PPL). I didn't expect to be THAT far off of my twice a week target.

Doesn't matter! Not to me, and it shouldn't to you. Don't sweat the unexpected things life and mother nature throw at you. When you're finished, you're finished (well, except for that whole lifetime learning thing that you don't want to overlook). No one will be able to take that away from you.

Funny story from after I finished: One of the execs at my company had been following my progress for some time, as he had always wanted to get a PPL. When I received mine in the mail, I ran into him at the coffee machine and proudly showed him my certificate. He studied the front, studied the back, handed it back with a puzzled look, and said: "So, the only person who can get on a commercial airline flight without a photo ID is the pilot?".

Oh suck it up butter cup.

This is part of flying, weather, airplane not available, waiting. You just have to accept it, fix what you can, and keep moving forward. It's good practice for the future when you have a flight that you really, really want to make, but something is not right, like weather or something with the airplane. If you are whiny and defeatist about it you could end up doing something that will kill yourself or worse, someone else. Be professional and pragmatic.

Your instructor is thinking about herself and her family, your impatience is not worth the risk to her, you need to respect that. So study your ground material during this hiatus and stop travelling. Get your flights in 2 weeks scheduled now, since you have not been flying you should have the money to fly 2, 3, 4 times a week, do that get on the schedule and get it done.

This will be a distant memory some day, hopefully you'll have chosen to finish and get your license, but if you don't have the drive to get through this, quit.

Thanks, guys. I'm back in the game mentally now and I appreciate y'all talking sense into me. It would be incredibly stupid for me to quit. Despite what it may sound like, I am not normally whiny or defeatist or a quitter, just was frustrated and stressed out after a particularly spectacular battle to balance the budget without dipping into the money I've saved up for my private training. Some people shouldn't post before their morning coffee, and I shouldn't post when I'm upset. :)

As an aside, considering how many lessons I've cancelled even just in the last two months due to weather, mx issues and my physical/mental state at the time, I'm not too worried about endangering future passengers right now due to an inability to cancel flights - besides Thanksgiving week, every week since September has had at least three possible scheduled flights, and since then, I've flown somewhere around 6 times so I think I've gotten some decent exposure to that part of flying!

Well, you did ask for a good whack on the side of the head......

I actually didn't think you would quit.

Here's one little hint (I guess) for you though. Don't cancel on your instructor with less than a weeks notice without either a true personal emergency or sickness, except for those two reasons get to the lesson.

I overheard a couple instructors talking about a few students who regularly cancel (not saying you regularly cancel here) on them a half hour before the lesson. Students need to remember that for most instructors this is their main job and income. It's good experience, just tell your instructor your not feeling 100% before you fly, but you'd like to try it. It's a great opportunity to actually see how being stressed out, or tired affects your flying with someone next to you to save your bacon.

When I was getting my instrument rating a few years ago, I told my very busy instructor to call me if he had a cancellation and if I could, I would fly with him. I was surprised at the number of times he called me, but I loved it because it got me closer to my goal.

Just keep plugging away, don't worry about lapses in flying you can't control. As you get more experienced it's easier to knock the rust off (within reason of course).

Git it done.

@SkyChaser I am in your exact situation. All my requirements are done. It has been a struggle to get the 3 hours of dual in 90 days and stay proficient. I fly out of the southern tier of NY and weather has not been cooperative. I've scheduled flights for wed/thurs this week. Hopefully my maneuvers will get his blessing and I'll schedule my checkride. In the meantime when weather doesn't work, we've been going over the oral exam prep. I'm still nervous as all get out be he told me Saturday that I am more prepared than any student he has sent recently. So I'm just a tad less stressed. lol.

Well, you did ask for a good whack on the side of the head......

I actually didn't think you would quit.

Here's one little hint (I guess) for you though. Don't cancel on your instructor with less than a weeks notice without either a true personal emergency or sickness, except for those two reasons get to the lesson.

I overheard a couple instructors talking about a few students who regularly cancel (not saying you regularly cancel here) on them a half hour before the lesson. Students need to remember that for most instructors this is their main job and income. It's good experience, just tell your instructor your not feeling 100% before you fly, but you'd like to try it. It's a great opportunity to actually see how being stressed out, or tired affects your flying with someone next to you to save your bacon.

And I appreciate everyone who gave me one, because I knew I was totally having a pity party and some times it is helpful to have other people tell you how stupid you're being. :)

Thankfully, my instructor works full time and instructs part time, so it's not such a big deal for her. We always talk about every cancellation, though (and at least 2 hours in advance, since I leave 2hrs before my lesson to drive there!) and so far, every cancellation that I've called my instructor has completely agreed with. Because of how many lessons get blown or clouded out, I've not had to cancel solely because I didn't get to sleep enough the night before or whatever because it always fell on a bad wx day. ;) I flew tired once...on my way back from my first solo xc, I was so exhausted despite lots of the sleep the night before because of the stress of flying solo to another airport for the first time, and it's really eye-opening for sure the slightly stupid decisions you can make!

When learning any new task, I try to keep telling myself that I will be much more frustrated with myself for quitting than I will be for dealing with the setbacks of learning.

Have you truly lost the desire, or is it just frustration ? Only you can decide if you want to fly. Good luck on your choice.
Sounds like frustration. Just hang in there. I know, I easier said to than done. Does your FBO have a simulator for the the times you drive to the airport and conditions are outside your limits?

If I made it through my aviation training circumstances, than anyone can.

Frustration is expected. Misery is optional. Don't quit this close to the finish line.

I started my training in November. In Central NY. That put a big crimp in things, if you know our winter weather. I did a lot of pattern work in shifting snow squalls waiting for XC flyable weather. It will take the time it takes. You will be glad you did when you get that certificate.

(Then you will want your own airplane so you are not slave to the rental schedule.)

Until you have finished all the requirements, you were never readier for the check ride. Yes, you were more proficient, but the prep is what gets you ready and don’t over estimate the number of hours it will take to get you to standards. Rely on your CFI.

@SkyChaser - sounds like gang has thumped you upside the head real good and given some great advice too.

As @WannFly said I am relatively close to you at about 85nm or so and would be happy to meet up sometime! Meeting at your airport is great but meeting at another "new to you" airport would be much better :) Curious, what is your current solo endorsement? For example could you fly to Mankato (KMKT). Its a great training airport that is medium busy, nice flight school FBO setting and two nice runways. Also Albert Lea or Austin (as mentioned earlier).

As you can see I am trying to get you out of your comfort zone a bit.

If I could offer any advice it goes like this:

0.) You can't rush or push aviation - it somehow violates Newtons Law and pushes back with more force LOL!

1.) Lets go ahead about 4wks...8wks. You are now on the other side of this process and have your ticket :) You would probably fly about once a week or so if possible right! So why not just fly at least once a week now on your solo endorsement!

2.) Since you are so close, I would suggest booking the plane twice a week if possible (funds, wx, availability). On the "even" flight practice a mock checkride all by yourself. Yes, you might practice a few things wrong but most will be excellent prep. You will probably fly about 1.2hrs. Then on the "odd" flight just fly around, maybe hit another airport and have fun. This will keep you sharp and ready.

3.) If your goal is to finish with low hours I would advise that you "Let It Go". We are near winter solstice and up here it feels like 3hrs of sun followed 39hrs of dark (hate it). Plus we can get these days and days of OVC1000 crud (like now). So just practice when you can and keep it fun at the same time. It sounds like there is a local DPE - if so then you really want to be ready. Up here when I did mine I think the only reason I had a checkride fairly soon after being signed off was that no one else was willing to do the checkride at -8F. It might seem like it will take forever but it won't.

Thanks for all the suggestions, Sinistar! I appreciate you taking the time to write that up. And yes, I hate the endless-seeming dark. It is not fun going to work an hour before sunrise and still driving home after the sun sets. I cannot wait until we get some more sun up here again. It's so much easier to be in a good mood when it's sunny outside. :)

My CFI lets me go pretty much wherever I want to go as long as I talk to her about it first if I haven't been there before. She's very nonchalant about me going solo - I don't think it makes her in the least bit nervous, which is a good thing I suppose! I guess I've impressed on her my great desire to come back safely with the plane intact, and so far my record is perfect in that respect. LOL If this weather ever decides to clear up (why does the crud like to hang out at TPA, anyway?!), I'm sure she'd be fine with me going up to Mankato or over to Austin one day. I watch the planes from the flight school in Mankato flying overhead (during the day) all the time and it totally makes me jealous since I'm stuck at work! :p It'd be fun to add a new airport to my logbook and meet another pilot!

[QUOTE="SkyChaser, post: 3017130, member: 41589" :)

My CFI lets me go pretty much wherever I want to go as long as I talk to her about it first if I haven't been there before. She's very nonchalant about me going solo - I don't think it makes her in the least bit nervous, which is a good thing I suppose! I guess I've impressed on her my great desire to come back safely with the plane intact, and so far my record is perfect in that respect. LOL If this weather ever decides to clear up (why does the crud like to hang out at TPA, anyway?!), I'm sure she'd be fine with me going up to Mankato or over to Austin one day. I watch the planes from the flight school in Mankato flying overhead (during the day) all the time and it totally makes me jealous since I'm stuck at work! :p It'd be fun to add a new airport to my logbook and meet another pilot![/QUOTE]

Pretty much sounds like my instructor when I got my PPL in 1977. My dad owned a 172 and bought a 150 for my brothers and me to get our PPLs in, so I flew it whenever I wanted to.

Back