Dynamic prop balancing

None! That’s they thing they said none was needed and I argued with them..
None as in no write up or none as in no data? Regardless, all the common balance procedures I'm aware of require the clock angle and IPS level to be recorded in the balance entry. In addition, as mentioned above, those same references require the spinner, prop, etc to be indexed. So there seems to be something amiss here.
I asked them how they were supposed to add bolts to balance my ring gear and they said they could do it..
FYI: not all balance weights are affixed to the ring gear. Most weights are actually mounted to the spinner backplate and in some cases only washers are added to existing bolts for the weight change.

If they did not actually change anything, they may not have had to enter anything into the logbook. If no bolts were turned, no screws removed and reinstalled, was there any maintenance, and therefore the need for an entry?
Doesn't matter if nothing was changed. If they performed the balance check that is considered maintenance and a write up is required per 43.9. Technically any work performed on a TC'd aircraft, that is not considered a preflight item/process, requires a logbook entry.

they should at least provide the readings from their machine (whatever it is called). I got 3 readings, i have no idea how to read them but vibrations and cruise flight noise went down, i am happy with that.

I'm flabbergasted at the amount of weight the pictures above happen to show. My idea of weight was several coats of paint on the back side of one blade to experimentally bring it into balance. McCauley paid on warranty for Maxwell prop shop to straighten that one out.

None! That’s they thing they said none was needed and I argued with them.. I asked them how they were supposed to add bolts to balance my ring gear and they said they could do it.. I have no idea how!
ddb673a0c6544eee678e6995fe68fdc3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Typically, you remove the existing dynamic weights and start from scratch. You don't want to add weight on top of weight.

Had my prop balanced today by Jim Fackler. This guy is an encyclopedia of knowledge on vibration analysis. Outcome was amazing.

Attachments

• Dynamic Balance.jpg
    Dynamic Balance.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 40
I have been waiting my turn for a few weeks to get my dynamic analysis done with my AP. On Sunday weather was ok here so I did a short local flight, and still had some slight vibrations most noticeable above 2200 rpm, but otherwise ran well. However when i landed back at my home airport the plane was idling very rough and my MP at idle was at 19-20" and rpms 1k, and smoothed a little when carb heat pulled the rpms dropped to 800, but MP was still high. I tried everything i could and even let it sit for some time and restarted to no avail, sounded to me like it could be an intake leak. My AP took the cowling off and found a small intake leak, cleaned the plugs, and saw the exhaust had clearly been rubbing on cowling. My engine mounts are 33 years old and knew they eventually need replaced, the prop sits 1/2 or so low on the cowling. Having ok engine mounts is needed for proper vibration dampening, and he is replacing the engine mounts now. He said after fixing the small intake leak and cleaning plugs the engine seems to be running good, and believes the engine mounts may address my vibration issues. Will see later this week after test flight.

Keep us posted.

I have been waiting my turn for a few weeks to get my dynamic analysis done with my AP. On Sunday weather was ok here so I did a short local flight, and still had some slight vibrations most noticeable above 2200 rpm, but otherwise ran well. However when i landed back at my home airport the plane was idling very rough and my MP at idle was at 19-20" and rpms 1k, and smoothed a little when carb heat pulled the rpms dropped to 800, but MP was still high. I tried everything i could and even let it sit for some time and restarted to no avail, sounded to me like it could be an intake leak. My AP took the cowling off and found a small intake leak, cleaned the plugs, and saw the exhaust had clearly been rubbing on cowling. My engine mounts are 33 years old and knew they eventually need replaced, the prop sits 1/2 or so low on the cowling. Having ok engine mounts is needed for proper vibration dampening, and he is replacing the engine mounts now. He said after fixing the small intake leak and cleaning plugs the engine seems to be running good, and believes the engine mounts may address my vibration issues. Will see later this week after test flight.

I would still have your prop balanced after you install new engine mounts. 33 year old mounts, yikes!

Well i'm back from the test flight. Engine ran really good, and i have less vibrations than before. Slight vibes 23MP/23rpm but better, and very slight at 23MP/22rpm. The new engine mounts do feel more "solid" running both on the ground and in the air, if that makes sense. A&P thinks the majority of my rough running episode on sunday was oil-soaked plugs on one of the two chrome reman cylinder i replaced back in the summer (#6). His theory is that one may not have seated the rings as good as the other. So will run it hard and keep an eye on that. But glad to have her back running good, and smoother. I may do a prop balance in the spring, but I've spent a lot of $ on her in the last 6 months. I do want to add a fuel totalizer then too.

Are there any quality shops in Cali that can do a good job with the dynamic balance?
Just had mine done with Larry at Fullerton *General Aviation Co) - fantastic service!

Back