New here ?

Oldmanb777

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Oldmanb777
Can't find a thread to introduce new members. So is there one? Anyway, I'm new to this forum.
It looks like a nice place to talk airplanes online. Since I'm old, (and still alive) I will plan on not being bold. Hopefully find some interesting flying talk on here.

Welcome aboard

Welcome, Norman. Age wise, you aren't alone. :)

I'm glad that I'm not alone here. Age wise. I guess I'm just having "withdrawal" from flying. Maybe I need a fix.

Ok thats strange. I put a "handle" in for a profile name, but it shows a name instead. I have no idea how to change that setting.

I'm glad that I'm not alone here. Age wise. I guess I'm just having "withdrawal" from flying. Maybe I need a fix.

Welcome to the jungle

Welcome Norman.
Tell us more about the withdrawal situation? What kind of flying in the past? What type of planes?

Don't feed the wild animals. ;)

Ok thats strange. I put a "handle" in for a profile name, but it shows a name instead. I have no idea how to change that setting.
Your friends on the Management Council know how to do that. I'll send you a PM...

Welcome Norman.
Tell us more about the withdrawal situation? What kind of flying in the past? What type of planes?

Don't feed the wild animals. ;)
I have done a bit of flying in my day. String of type ratings,A&P etc. Retired airline. I could make a short story very long, I suppose. When I retired, i thought I had enough. Hard to think of never flying again, but I was really ready for that. Guess I can come straight with the reality. I was just too exhausted to do the job anymore. If you have not been there, you can't really understand it. I didn't understand it. I just knew I wasn't doing the job the way I expected to do it. Took probably 6 months to start to realize just how exhausted I really was. So that has been a couple years. Now, I'm not ready to give up flying. No I have no desire to do it for a living, or on a need to go basis. I traveled all my life, so not much interest in traveling. But I put too much into it to just never see those sun rises again. So I'm feeling some withdrawal. Time to think about getting current again. It's been a about 15 yrs since the last GA flying, lots of things have changed. Not sure I want the hassle of ownership, but renting doesn't appeal to me either. So who knows where this will lead. Thanks for asking.

Welcome! I’m just a newbie hobby pilot but found an awesome club. Four planes and generally the availability is there when you want. Simplified “ownership” in a big way and you have that pilot camaraderie thing going also.

The timing & location are factors, but I’ve taken various people for flights at times, free. I like to routinely warm my oil, if solo I keep an ear peeled.

If just a 20 minute flight sometimes the coordination isn’t worth it. I do like help pushing back in the hangar. Just an idea on getting up in the air.

Welcome Norman! Lots of us here are old, but we promise to never act our age!
Whether you get back in the saddle or not, we'd be glad to chat with you, and would love your input on things. A guy like you has too much experience to leave untapped, hope you'll share.

Thanks for the backgrounder Norman. We've got a wide range of professional pilots on this forum, and a large number of us just fly for fun. Hopefully you'll find some rejuvenation hanging out with us here!

Welcome Norman! Lots of us here are old, but we promise to never act our age!

This reminded me of an acquaintance who built one of the early Christen Eagles for aerobatics. He had a little sign on the vertical stab that said "I may be getting older, but I'll never grow up".

Can't find a thread to introduce new members. So is there one? Anyway, I'm new to this forum.
It looks like a nice place to talk airplanes online. Since I'm old, (and still alive) I will plan on not being bold. Hopefully find some interesting flying talk on here.

Welcome to the madness!

Trust me - 66 is not old. Heck, I'm 59 and I just got my PPL Jan 1. Can't speak to how much things have changed, but I've got to think it's a bit simpler with ADSB / GPS and what not. Now you can fly for fun whenever you want.

Agree with the post above. Renting was a hassle for me, but I found a great club. I just schedule it on line, drive to the airport, get in the plane and fly (they give everyone a set of keys). Just log the time in the book in the plane, and pay once a month.

The "clubs" around here are generally for profit club/rental/flight schools. I was one of the original members of one many years ago. The other way is partnerships. That's much like being married. For now, I probably will use one of the clubs. A bit expensive, but what isn't that has airplane attached. One club is owned by a guy I flew with professionally. They have a decent (not cream puf) V-tail I can fly for about $180/hr. Realistically, for the price of renting their C-150, I can easily own and fly my own V-tail, or 17-31ATC or whatever. And I know who abused the plane last time the throttle was pushed up. Owning takes an additional commitment. Something i may not have time and energy for right now. So for now, I will probably just do some renting. That will also allow me to fly a mix of planes.

Not sure I want the hassle of ownership, but renting doesn't appeal to me either. So who knows where this will lead.
That's what flying clubs or joint ownership were made for. I co-own with two others, and it works out wonderfully for me. Split the cost three ways, use the plane as much as I want, and I have others to help with arranging maintenance, etc.

I'm pretty marginal with the computer. Smart home is giving me fits right now. But i can still do an ADF hold and approach using steam gauges.
Not a fan of electronics or automation. "If its automatic, it will automatically FAIL".

I'm pretty marginal with the computer. Smart home is giving me fits right now. But i can still do an ADF hold and approach using steam gauges.
Not a fan of electronics or automation. "If its automatic, it will automatically FAIL".
LOL. I understand that sentiment. But vacuum pumps fail. Generators quit.

My point is that it doesn’t matter; steam vs glass, each have their failure modes and one must be properly trained on either system.

I’ve been told by my CFII that if you know how to fly steam gauges the “new” stuff is easy to transition to. (The other direction is harder she said). I can’t imagine you not being able to pick the new stuff up.

I would hazard a guess that your rental plane will have a GPS navigator, probably have a VOR receiver or two, but most likely no DME, ADF.

Hey - if you really get board - the world needs experienced CFIs!

I have flown plenty of glass and GPS for years. They even gave us EFB's a few years before I retired. It wasn;t readily available in GA when I was still flying GA. At least not for a price most could afford. When i first got into the B-737-300 and then the transition to the glass in the -500 it was interesting. The standard answer was "click...click" You just clicked of the auto pilot and then clicked off the auto throttles and flew it like a real plane. Just like the -100/200 that didn't have all that magic stuff. That was many years ago. But doing an overlay ADF approach made it really simple.

Howdy @Oldmanb777
While I’m marginal on computer savvy as well and I’ve flown an NDB to mins as an emergency in a Lance 20 years ago, I’m loving all the modern enhancements that have made their way to GA planes now. No going back for me.

Congrats on your retirement!!

I like all the new gadgets. Great tools. But I'm old school at heart. I sure liked all the convenience the tech stuff brought. But again, just tools. When you can't do without, thats when it get real bad, real quick. But I'm still having fits with the smart home junk. :)

So the "There I was moment"....................:) Had some near cancelations because the high tech stuff was placarded. The other pilot or pilots said its not safe, and we can't go. So it wasn't safe in the B-707, or 747 maybe the DC-10 (we called it the death cruiser). But they couldn't operate without CPDLC crossing the Atlantic. Or a divert on arrival to Birmingham, UK. The ILS was down, we can't land, must divert. but there is an NDB app. So a GPS overlay and fly the NDB. Requirement was to "monitor" the gnd based nav aid. Luckily that one had not been pulled out by the bean counters. The overlay makes it easy, but I enjoyed watching the RMI. Old School still works, at least for now.
Sorry to reminisce. Just had to.................I'm sure you understand............:)

Welcome to POA

Back