ADHD and testing

Kitty27

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Kitty27
So I'm writing for my partner. He fell in love with flying, got a 2nd class medical, bought a plane, and got his PPL this last year. He has had no difficulties with training.

He did the 8500 form or whatever with his AME, and ADHD never came up.

Now he wants at age 36 to make a career change to flying ATP if possible, or at least CFI/commercial/support his flying habit.

I'm the one that ended up reading more on this and discovering that a prior dx of ADHD is an issue.

I found out that he has a childhood diagnosis of ADHD, took Ritalin as a kid. Then again in college, and like 3 years ago in a certain career he's since retired from, and stopped the meds. He never did neuropsych testing, it was all based on parent/teacher/self report, PCPs, and a counselor, never a psychiatrist.

I am in a good position (although not an expert) to say that his ADHD is pretty mild, and I wouldn't be surprised if he could pass all the neuropsych testing unmedicated. But nothing in life is 100%.

I am aware that there is a pathway of disclosing the prior dx and beating the tests and getting cleared.

At this point, as a partner I can't support this as more than a hobby if he can't get the neuropsych testing and beat the ADHD diagnosis to be able to go commercial or ATP in the free and clear.

On the other hand, I hate to "push" him to jump through the hoops and then he loses the ability to basically fly anything.

In a perfect world, one would get a HIMS AME to help him get all his records together, order all the neuropsych testing, get the pee test in the right way, look at it all, and apply for the first class. If the testing goes the wrong way, just never bring it up. But I'm not sure it's possible to go about things that way.

He is committed to being medication free for the rest of his life flying. He has no other health issues or mental health issues/history, no history of substance abuse, no criminal history.

He only had the one medical, 2nd class, expires in a few months I think.

Any illumination would be helpful. The goal is not to do anything unsafe or that will get anyone in trouble, but also not to get the options more limited than they have to be.

The faa will see this as him lying on the first 8500 form he ever filled out and will revoke his medical. Best thing to do is just not disclose once he needs a first class medical. If he only wants to flight instruct that can be done under basic med or a 3rd class medical too. Upper management at faa are corrupt scumbags. I stupidly disclosed my add dx and it was probably the worst decision I made as far as the faa is concerned, especially since they never would’ve found out about it any other way.

Have him Email me with trough the website link in my signature line. He only has to outperform the bottom 15th percentile of known aviators and we could know that B4 taking ANY federal action at all.

In the meantime he SHOULD NOT TRAIN. He SHOULD NOT FLY. He could do a basic but he has constructively falsified the record.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back