Aviation Goals for 2020

Well I had no goal for the year, but happy to report that I will cross 100 hrs for the year.... In another 3 hrs. It started bad but thanks to covid I caught up. 83 hrs in last 6 months and added 25 new airports under my belt.

So, how'd we do?

Realistic goals: 50 hrs, land in each state bordering IL

Stretch goal: instrument ticket

I missed out on hitting the neighboring states, but mainly because I hammered the instrument rating out this summer. Between that and trips, I've logged 134hrs this year.

I also bought an airplane, which i didn't see coming.

For me, the same bucket list items I’ve had for years, log some time in a DC-3 and get my seaplane rating. Who knows, maybe this will finally bd the year. :)

Rinse, Repeat. Oh well. I did attempt to do the seaplane rating, but the schedule just didn’t work out.

Well I didn’t meet my annual totals, actually they were half my typical times. I also did nothing on the commercial rating.

My bride and I did have fun despite no real travel time exploring new places. COVID be damned, we will return to travel via GA in 2021.

By The Numbers

Total Time 1388.7
ASEL 2020 52.5 so far....
Landings 58
Approaches 18
Complex 52.5
Cross Country 24.7
Sim Instrument 5.7
PIC 52.5

New Airports - 4

N81 - Hammonton Municipal Airport in Hammonton, New Jersey
KMTV - Blue Ridge Airport in Martinsville, Virginia
KMTN- Martin State in Baltimore, Maryland
N30 - Cherry Ridge Airport in Honesdale, Pennsylvania

All you people that met your 2020 goals while there's still 26 days left in the year really p1zz me off. :D
You probably already got all your Christmas shopping done too. Right? :p

All you people that met your 2020 goals while there's still 26 days left in the year really p1zz me off. :D
You probably already got all your Christmas shopping done too. Right? :p

Well, yeah. Wait you mean you don't have your shopping done? o_O

If it makes you feel any better, all the presents are not wrapped yet. ;)

I did very well on my aviation goals this year. I got my big trip out west flown in July, plus I also stopped at Rapid City on the way home and my wife flew there commercial and then home with me.

I've flown more Angel Flight missions than ever before. I have my most hours in a year this year.

Instead of flying to Nashville in March, we flew to Louisville, Memphis and Nashville in November. Not exactly how I would have imagined a 25th anniversary trip, but hey, it is 2020. :rolleyes:

We didn't get to do our trip to NY to see the horse racing at Saratoga with family up there and then visit some friends in the New England area. Hopefully with the vaccines we will be able to do that in 2021.

They got a C-150 that I can rent rent at KMLE so I can afford to fly more. COVID caused all my travel to be canceled so I could take advantage of it.

Well I had no goal for the year, but happy to report that I will cross 100 hrs for the year.... In another 3 hrs. It started bad but thanks to covid I caught up. 83 hrs in last 6 months and added 25 new airports under my belt.
I'll be lucky to get 20 hours. On the other hand, I have a full-time (and very well-paying job) for the first time in 3.5 years. I'll take the job over 100 hrs of flying any day. It's going to pay for the GPS next spring.

I'll be lucky to get 20 hours. On the other hand, I have a full-time (and very well-paying job) for the first time in 3.5 years. I'll take the job over 100 hrs of flying any day. It's going to pay for the GPS next spring.

My job entails spending copious amount of time at airport and in planes .... unfortunately as a pax . When the travel starts back again, I will be lucky to hit 20 hrs in 6 months

-100 hrs in my Sonerai
-Attend Reno Air Races
-Get my RV-8 past the canoe stage on standing on its own gear.

49431590103_25794d83a8.jpg

Well, .... I got the 100hrs. Reno didn't happen, obviously. And the -8 won't be on gear by Jan 1. So, I'm only 1 for 3.

My only goal for the year was to make a trip out to Arizona, which we did in October. I hadn’t planned on getting my IR when the year started, but I did get that knocked out as well. Also finally did a lunch trip to key west that’s been on the todo list for a long time. Flew a lot more than my average this year. More than 200 hours. Didn’t plan that either, but the practice for IR really packed them in. Also added three states to the landing map.

The only thing I did this year was attend a full day of "In the Hangar" recording. That's it. No flying. No instructing.

I watched lots of flying videos and attended a few FAAST seminars.

So yeah, this year sucked.

11.3 hours so far this calendar year. Pathetic. I'll try to increase that a bit this month (yeah, right). Next year should be better.

Three round trips this year as self loading cargo. And if our trip to Cancun had been cancelled in October this would have been the first year since 1994 where I didn't leave the country at least once. We'll see about next year...

Well, let's see....
My goals:
-- Meet more pilots (see above): SUCCESS!... Loved the meetups in Dallas and Atlanta, hangin' with @JOhnH, Dr. Bruce, etc... at least until March
-- Fly more IFR: Only a couple times
-- Go to Oshkosh: FAIL
-- Get tailwheel endorsement: FAIL

I got back to AK with myself and the airplane both intact, which I supposed I should have spelled out as a goal.

Well, let's see....

I got back to AK with myself and the airplane both intact, which I supposed I should have spelled out as a goal.

Pretty tough to beat your "One Lap of America" adventure kath! Especially in this Covid year.
Besides it gave those new panel gadgets a good workout. :p

11.3 hours so far this calendar year. Pathetic. I'll try to increase that a bit this month (yeah, right). Next year should be better.

Sigh, I might beat you Ghery. I think I have just under 10 hours this year. Between the pandemic, wildfires, incessant fog in the fall (in SoCal!)... my 2020 goals were a pitiful. At least I made it to 1 airport I hadn't been to before... but the cafe was closed for Memorial Day, so I didn't even get a $100 burger out of it.

I got zero skydives in. Thanks, Covid-19.

I was thinking that this year and next were going to be my years to skydive. As I get older, I'm finding my flexibility, which was never all that great, is getting worse, and I think that having to work on something over my head like a line twist might be challenging.

That and a few other reasons I won't go into here have made me reconsider they skydiving thing, so I have no aviation plans in the near future.

So, how'd we do?

I managed to cross 100 t/w (but not in type) and 400 total.
Well...
I have flown again (as stated above, in February).
I have my flight review under my belt.
I got my SI 3rd class and...
I am now on basic med.
I have taken friends and co-workers aloft.
I have flown to; and landed in, 3 surrounding states.
I have been checked out in a 180 hp 172 with manual flaps.
I have performed a sustained vx climb out from an airport betwixt two mountains.
I have flown over the highest mountains in the Smoky Mountains.

I haven't gotten a ton of hours, but I'm doing my best to remain safe and competent... And I am working >HARD< on proficient and confident.

I've made stupid mistakes, but damaged nothing, hurt no body. Only injured my ego and pride... And, I have learned more and more.

I will keep flying!

In 2021, I will get night current. And try to maintain that currency.

BTW, I "liked" most of the posts above because in this year, it's hard to imagine anyone accomplishing ANYTHING recreational, pleasurable, fun.

That many of us were even able to work towards our goals is a blessing for which we should all be grateful!

I love the sky! I love to catch a glimpse of "the Creator's" view (and that's as PC as I can be about it). I have been blessed and highly favored to be able to work on my flying... We all have!

Get my IPC knocked out, fly a whole hell of a lot more.

Done, IPC back in late May, still instrument current, but could use a few more approaches. I flew more then the preceding year, but not as much as I’d have liked. But hey, trying year in many respects.

Well...
I have flown again (as stated above, in February).
I have my flight review under my belt.
I got my SI 3rd class and...
I am now on basic med.
I have taken friends and co-workers aloft.
I have flown to; and landed in, 3 surrounding states.
I have been checked out in a 180 hp 172 with manual flaps.
I have performed a sustained vx climb out from an airport betwixt two mountains.
I have flown over the highest mountains in the Smoky Mountains.

I haven't gotten a ton of hours, but I'm doing my best to remain safe and competent... And I am working >HARD< on proficient and confident.

I've made stupid mistakes, but damaged nothing, hurt no body. Only injured my ego and pride... And, I have learned more and more.

I will keep flying!

In 2021, I will get night current. And try to maintain that currency.

A 172 with manual flaps? What sort of actuator does it have?

Finished my instrument training in fits and starts during Spring COVID. Passed my IR check ride in August. Moved me (& the trusty Tiger) to upstate New York in the Fall. That’s good enough for one year.

Get my ATP in a couple of months. Log 500+ hours 121 time. As always, stay out of the trees, out of the office - in that order.

Well, got my ATP. Got the 121 job. Then they went out of business. And thanks to Rona, all the other 121 hiring came to a screeching halt. But I have still managed to fly almost 300 hours this year.

Here’s to 2021 and bluer skies ahead! :)

It was a good year, lots of flying while on paid furlough, which I used to start on my commercial after last year's instrument ticket. I passed the commercial written. Also became a FAAST representative. I'll continue to work on the commercial and get it early next year.

Desired flights for 2021:
KOSH (for AirVenture) and Tomahawk, Merrill, and Rhinelander airports (Went there lots to grandparent's farm as kid, kind of a last trip ever up to there. Almost no relatives to visit anymore.)
Outer bank airports
Montauk
Loch Haven Piper Museum
Merritt Island, FL (I grew up there and Dad lives there)

I have two more work flights left for the year, which will add about 4 hours, but right now I have 97 hours in the work airplane, and 73 hours in the personal airplane. That is the lowest I have flown for work since I starting working as a pilot, and the second highest amount of personal flying ever.

I didn’t have any ‘goals’ for 2020, but I flew about 20 GA hours - not as much as I’d like, but pretty consistent with what I normally do.

The work flying was way down - to the point where the amount of money earned per day of work will likely be the highest I’ll see in my career - but of course I’d trade that for a healthy industry in a heartbeat.

Well I was hoping to obtain my PPL in 2020. Been working on it since April, 2017. Written expires December 31st, 2020. Don't think I'm going to make it. Oh well, been studying for the practical oral portion so shouldn't be too much extra effort to take the written again.

Fly a lot more. Due to many other things consuming my time in 2019 I didn't fly much; 43.8 hours. I would like to break 100 again.

Now that I'm in a co-ownership on a SR22 I may finally take a looong trip out for a get-together with some aviation friends from the Purple Board in Vale, OR (near Boise, ID). That would crank up my hours for the year, plus add several more states to my flying map.

Get back to traveling more via flying private. Already have a trip planned for February. Another one in March is in the works, as well as talking about a trip to upstate NY to see some relatives in August.

Plus doing more Angel Flight missions. I was doing 8-10 a year, and many of those were doubles, i.e. making two legs into one. I already have two planned for January, so off to a good start.

I did well. Things changed due to COVID, but I managed to roll with it.

The trip we were going to make in March, a weekend in Nashville, got cancelled due to COVID. We ended up going there as a part of a week long trip to Louisville, Memphis and Nashville. It was a trip for our 25th anniversary; wouldn't have imagined that as our 25th anniversary trip before this year. :rolleyes:

We did not make the trip to NY to see relatives. New York was a mess.

I did make the long trip out to Vale, OR and went back country flying with Bob. My posting on that trip. It was a blast. Then I added on a stop at Rapid City on the way back and my wife flew out commercial to meet up with me. We toured the sights there, then she flew home with me. It was a blast. Plus, by making some T&G's along the way, that trip added 10 states to my map. :D

I've flown more Angel Flight missions this year, 15, than any other year. More hours for it too, 65.4 hours. As usual, many of those flights were taking both legs of a trip and flying it non-stop for the patients; much quicker for them that way. While the patients normally appreciate the flights, this year they really appreciated not flying commercial and the risk of getting COVID from that.

I not only broke 100 hours again, but got the most hours in a year for me at 132.0. We made trips to see our daughters. One of them is currently living in Charlotte, so I've made three landings at CLT this year including one approach with a low ceiling. We had plans to go to COPA Migration, but COVID cancelled it. About a dozen couples/families kept their hotel reservations, including us, so we had a great Migration-lite meet-up with dinners every night.

COVID has, and continues to be, a royal PITA, but we managed to get some traveling in.

It’s too depressing to look back and see if I actually put any goals in this thread early in the year, but I can say definitively that if I did, I didn’t achieve them. I haven’t totaled up my hours yet, but I can. There’s a cracked engine mount tube that needs to be replaced and that won’t be here until next month, so I’m done for the year.

Maybe I’ll do better next year!

I was planning to hit it hard a finish up the $(&(% IR. Then Covid hit and with my mom checking all the Covid boxes and the club planes being heavily used, I stopped. Lowest year (2.5 hours) since I started my PP in 2004. Sigh. And no end in sight. Looks like I'll need to retake the written AGAIN.

Back