I think I'll keep wearing my mask when the pandemic is over

JOhnH

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Right Seater
At least when riding a motorcycle. It keeps the bugs out of my mouth and nose, which my half-shell helmet doesn't do.

I used to have an open face helmet. A fellow rider asked me... "Why only that? You're a decent enough looking guy, don't you like that face?" After giving it some thought... I wear a full face helmet now. Except on the Vespa. Gotta draw the line somewhere.

I used to have an open face helmet. A fellow rider asked me... "Why only that? You're a decent enough looking guy, don't you like that face?" After giving it some thought... I wear a full face helmet now. Except on the Vespa. Gotta draw the line somewhere.
Wouldn't it make more sense to wear the full face helmet on the Vespa so people can't tell you're the one riding it?

I actually ride a scooter, but I neglected to mention that because of the nerd factor. :blush:
But when I did ride a real motorcycle, I hated my full face helmet. Nobody believes me but I think helmets obscure your peripheral vision enough to be dangerous. I was almost killed a few times when I changed lanes and almost hit someone I didn't see. And one time a bee blew up in my helmet and almost made me wreck as it buzzed around inside the face shield.

Modular, best of both worlds (except a little heavier). Closed for full face protection at speed, open it up at stop lights or very slow speed moving to get some air.

Full face or nothing.

Nobody believes me but I think helmets obscure your peripheral vision enough to be dangerous. I was almost killed a few times when I changed lanes and almost hit someone I didn't see. And one time a bee blew up in my helmet and almost made me wreck as it buzzed around inside the face shield.

35 years and nearly a million miles on two wheels, and I've yet to have an incident that I would attribute to reduced vision from a full face helmet. I've used nothing but full face or modular. But then I'm a gear geek, ATGATT!

I actually ride a scooter, but I neglected to mention that because of the nerd factor. :blush:
But when I did ride a real motorcycle, I hated my full face helmet. Nobody believes me but I think helmets obscure your peripheral vision enough to be dangerous. I was almost killed a few times when I changed lanes and almost hit someone I didn't see. And one time a bee blew up in my helmet and almost made me wreck as it buzzed around inside the face shield.
You’re doing it wrong. You have to turn your head before you change lanes even without a helmet.

A full face helmet is the reason I am still alive today.
A full face helmet is the reason I still have the bottom half of my face. The damage to my helmet in that area was scary, but it held up.

On the other hand, a mask may help absorb some of the blood...

Wouldn't it make more sense to wear the full face helmet on the Vespa so people can't tell you're the one riding it?
Nah. This one is older than I am. Riding a new plastic pink Barbie scooter would be embarrassing. Riding a 2-stroke, kick-start '55 that's been in the family since it was new is just plain cool, I don't care who you are.

(American Graffiti)

Full face. AGATT. And I probably will wear a mask during cold and flu season even after COVID. If I'm going shopping or somewhere else where I'm mixing up with lots of strangers. Never know who's sick. I suspect mask use is going to become much more accepted in this country.IMG_0894.jpeg

i-TxCtdkN-X3.jpg

Na...when wearing a mask people all the sudden think I am friendly, approachable, and all that crap...

I am OK if we keep the local distancing thing in stores though.

Nobody wears an open-face helmet off-road because you KNOW you are going to fall. Believe it or not, sooner or later you will be involved in an accident (major/minor) on the highway no matter who you are or how you ride. Conditions, other drivers or yourself will determine your next accident. It’s the same with flying airplanes. Every flight you’re 1 flight closer to having to exercise those emergency skills you’ve (hopefully) honed through many years of practice. Whether it’s a motorcycle or plane, you will experience an incident/accident sooner or later. Take the necessary precautions on a bike (like wearing a good helmet) and your outcome may be more favorable. Of course, life offers no guarantee whatsoever.

Ditto. High-sided my KTM and the chinbar of my Shoei hit the ground hard. I shudder to think what plastic surgery and/or dental reconstruction would have entailed.
What? You mean you didn’t land on the top of your head? ;)

40 years ago when I was 16 my riding buddies gave me a lot of grief about wearing a Bell full face helmet, they didn't think it was cool, plus all the money I spent on it.

Then I was rear-ended at a stop sign, flew off the bike, and landed face-first on the hood of an oncoming car. I won't forget that. There was a perfect imprint of that helmet on the hood of the Datsun 310. They quit laughing.

And don't even get me started about not wearing a helmet at all. The most minor accident, even just turning the bike on its side from a standstill, has the potential for a head injury. I know that life is full of risk, but to me it just makes sense to stack the deck in my favor.

Indian Larry was just standing on the seat of his bike doing a stunt he'd done many times before. He wasn't even going all that fast. He fell over, hit his head and died.

And don't even get me started about not wearing a helmet at all. The most minor accident, even just turning the bike on its side from a standstill, has the potential for a head injury.

And don't even get me started about not wearing a helmet at all. The most minor accident, even just turning the bike on its side from a standstill, has the potential for a head injury. I know that life is full of risk, but to me it just makes sense to stack the deck in my favor.

Every, and I mean every, fatal motorcycle accident I've worked would have turned out differently had they been wearing a helmet. Most motorcycle accidents are not high speed catastrophic accidents, most are low speed, fell off the bike trying to avoid something, type of accidents.

Regardless of where everyone is going with this thread, nobody has mentioned the fact that masks are a good way to keep bugs out of your teeth and nostrils. If you are one that thinks that mandatory masks are an invasion of your rights, how about mandatory helmet laws?

If you are one that thinks that mandatory masks are an invasion of your rights, how about mandatory helmet laws?

As someone who always always always wears the protective gear (ok, I don't do the leather pants or chaps), I'm also in the camp that mandatory helmet laws is an example of government nanny-ism... if you know what I mean.

When I screwed up a panic stop avoiding a bicylist in the left lane of a 50 mph zone, I thought about how glad as I was that I was wearing my fullfact helmet as I was sliding along the pavement. I still have that helmet as a reminder.

aaaand... IBTL

At the risk of being redundant . . . full face all the time. Doesn't matter if it's dirtbike, scooter, Harley, or crotch rocket.

Cool... I am on the way to Oklahoma to pick up a 2018 GSA 1200 I just bought... I figured I need to add another to the motorcycle fleet :)

Where'd you find it in OK?

Regardless of where everyone is going with this thread, nobody has mentioned the fact that masks are a good way to keep bugs out of your teeth and nostrils. If you are one that thinks that mandatory masks are an invasion of your rights, how about mandatory helmet laws?

Don't need mandatory helmet laws, it's not the gov't job to make sure people keep their brains inside their skull. Leave that decision to personal responsibility . . . just like masks.

Invasion of rights. Idiots have rights too. I'm a believer in not messing with natural selection.

When I first started riding my main mentor told me that he'd been told "You spend as much on your helmet as you figure your head's worth." I wore a full face Bell helmet though I cracked open the face shield because with my full beard my breathing fogged up the face shield.

As for the mask and bugs, not a bad idea. And I agree with @steingar that mask wearing will be much more accepted in this country from now on.

Don't need mandatory helmet laws, it's not the gov't job to make sure people keep their brains inside their skull. Leave that decision to personal responsibility . . . just like masks.

Invasion of rights. Idiots have rights too. I'm a believer in not messing with natural selection.

I can see it both ways. I believe in individual rights, but also have issue when your choice takes money out of my pocket.

When I drive, I never use the cell phone, except to look at gps directions when the phone is in it's mount. How many of you helmet proponents can say that.

Ok, I'm sure you all can and will say so, but I mean "honestly". Talking on a cell phone or texting while driving is more dangerous to more people than not wearing a full coverage mask on a 40 mph scooter.

I can see it both ways. I believe in individual rights, but also have issue when your choice takes money out of my pocket.
Now we're going to teeter on the edge of political, but without other removal of rights by forcing you to pay for something you had no responsibility for, someone not wearing a helmet doesn't take money out of your pocket.

When I drive, I never use the cell phone, except to look at gps directions when the phone is in it's mount. How many of you helmet proponents can say that.

Ok, I'm sure you all can and will say so, but I mean "honestly". Talking on a cell phone or texting while driving is more dangerous to more people than not wearing a full coverage mask on a 40 mph scooter.
Sure. It's also totally irrelevant. Jumping out of an airplane with no parachute is even more dangerous. So?

Just looking at the picture in your sig makes me think you put yourself in more danger with a full coverage helmet than I do without.

Honestly? I never talk or text on the cell phone while driving, and like you, if I'm using it for NAV it's in a fixed mount. The bike also has a fixed mount GPS, and gives turn by turn directions to my helmet headset via bluetooth.

i-B7D3PXn-X3.jpg

Sure. It's also totally irrelevant. Jumping out of an airplane with no parachute is even more dangerous. So?
It's as relevant to this thread about masks as a discussion of helmets is.

Just looking at the picture in your sig makes me think you put yourself in more danger with a full coverage helmet than I do without.
If you're on the road with other vehicles, you're in just as much danger as he is in that picture.

So, hypothetically, what would you do if you were on a ride and you stopped somewhere. You locked the helmet to your bike but in spite of that you found that someone stole/damaged your helmet. No replacement was readily available. What would do?

Back