Moving to the Gulf Coast. Do I need a paint job?

MD2105

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
SkyOtter
Hi everyone. I am moving to the Ft. Walton Beach/Destin area in a few months and based on my research, I will have to put my Warrior on the tie-down ramp. I had a couple questions I wanted to put to the group:

I already have my plane treated with Corrosion X every other annual. Is there anything else I should consider other than flying and washing regularly?

Also, my paint is probably a 5/10 with paint chipping off (not in large areas) the leading edge of the wings and on the bottom of the fuselage. Considering it will still be tied down, will a paint job make a significant difference in keeping corrosion at bay?

Thanks for your thoughts and advice on this.

Lucky dog, Destin! When is the boat purchase? ;););)

I just read this post and realize it doesn't address the original question of corrosion, but I'll post it anyway.

My advice to any plane owner is to hangar your plane if at all possible. Of course, everything in life is a trade-off, and you have already determined that you will be tying down. This is a bit perplexing: You are going with a tie-down, yet are contemplating a new paint-job? If it is a money thing, I would rather hangar the plane with a rough paint-job, than spend $10K or more on a paint job and leave it outside. You can hangar a plane for quite a long time for the price of a paint job, and the hangar protects more than just the paint -- it protects from wind, hail, rain that may get in the cabin, possible ramp damage, etc.

I just read this post and realize it doesn't address the original question of corrosion, but I'll post it anyway.

My advice to any plane owner is to hangar your plane if at all possible. Of course, everything in life is a trade-off, and you have already determined that you will be tying down. This is a bit perplexing: You are going with a tie-down, yet are contemplating a new paint-job? If it is a money thing, I would rather hangar the plane with a rough paint-job, than spend $10K or more on a paint job and leave it outside. You can hangar a plane for quite a long time for the price of a paint job, and the hangar protects more than just the paint -- it protects from wind, hail, rain that may get in the cabin, possible ramp damage, etc.

@pburger, thanks and great points. Unfortunately, the decision to tie down is due to lack of available hangars. Long waitlists so unfortunately, tie down is the only option. That said, if I do get a paint job I would look into buying a whole aircraft cover.

I've heard hangar waiting lists in Florida are usually measured in years, if not decades. Have you considered basing your plane further inland? It certainly seems like corrosion is less of an issue 30 miles or so from the coast. I'd rather drive a bit than be close to the ocean.

I can tell you that when I was plane shopping I was VERY skeptical of any that had lived in Florida, or any coastal city.

That said, if I do get a paint job I would look into buying a whole aircraft cover.
I've heard the aircraft covers really do a number on paint when it gets windy. I have no experience using one though.

I already have my plane treated with Corrosion X every other annual.
Change that to every annual.
Is there anything else I should consider other than flying and washing regularly?
From a maintenance stand point, there are number of corrosion preventative measures you can do. Here are a few that I've seen good results with: 1)Get educated on corrosion which will help you spot and monitor any corr that may appear in the future. Below is a link to 1 ref but there are many more. 2) Rejuvenate your existing paint job with an appropriate process. Discuss with a paint guy for the proper chemicals for your specific paint type. 3) Once your your paint is up to spec then keep it sealed with a good wax or other product. I prefer sealing with Rejex and reapply when the "slickness" of the coating is reduced. 4) Wipe down exposed areas with CorrX on a regular basis like floor areas, landing gear, engine areas, etc. The above in addition to a regular wash whether you fly or not and a good pre-flight should keep any corrosion at bay. Neglect is what feeds corrosion not your location.
https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/AC_43-4B.pdf
will a paint job make a significant difference in keeping corrosion at bay?
It would, but not necessarily required if you choose to prep the aircraft and perform regular preventative items. Aircraft that operate and in some cases domicile offshore in the GOM have their paint jobs last years following a regular schedule of corrosion preventative measures.
I would look into buying a whole aircraft cover.
In my experience whole covers tend to do more damage to windows and paint then they protect.

There are a couple other airports in the area that may be worth looking at for hangar space, 2R4 in Milton and CEW in Crestview. Either would be a little bit of a drive but both would get you off the immediate coast and may have shorter hangar waits.

Back