Getting started at 14?

szamora

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
szamora
Hello!
I'm 14 years old, and I've always been interested in aviation. I haven't exactly been able to pursue these interests for a multitude of reasons, though.
I've done a little research, and maybe the first step would be to go for an intro flight to get a feel for being at the controls. It won't be easy to convince my parents, since, well, I'm their firstborn and whatnot and they're a little protective (meaning that it takes impossible amounts of time to convince them to let me do anything because everything interesting also happens to be potentially dangerous). So. That'll be fun.
Another thing is that, being stereotypical immigrant parents, they're very focused on my academic career. I don't want them to think that my grades will drop or that I won't get into Harvard because I'll be dedicating more time to flight training.
I read online, and it says that people can fly gliders solo at age 14, fly planes solo at 16, and get their private pilot license at 17 (correct me if I'm wrong).
So, say I'm able to do the impossible and convince my parents to enroll me in flight lessons. When do I begin-- right after COVID or after 15? I also don't want flight lessons to clash with my driving lessons, which I'll be having next year. Learning to drive is probably more urgent than learning to fly, but still... I'd love to fly so much :D
EDIT: Sorry, I forgot to add-- we live in North Carolina

How'd you get started? Do you have any recommendations on how to begin? Am I crazy for wanting to start now?

Thanks in advance for your feedback! Have a great holiday season!

Last edited:
If there is glider training available near you then start now. It is invaluable training.

Otherwise, I’d recommend starting your private pilot training around 15 1/2. Aim to solo at 16. Checkride on your 17th birthday. That’s the earliest you’ll be able to do everything.

Good luck!

When I was 14, all I thought about was girls and getting them to like me. You're well ahead of the curve young lady. Good luck in convincing your parents. Just be persistent, they'll come around.

Wow, I was not expecting this many replies in such a small amount of time. To clarify, yes, I'm a girl. I'm looking into glider training in NC right now, hopefully I'll find something. It looks like there are a few EAA chapters in my area. The Ninety-Nines also seem interesting, thank you for letting me know about them! I sent the EAA link to my dad and he replied with "ok..." so I don't know what he's thinking about this yet. I'll have to talk to him when he gets home. Thank you for all of your help so far, you are great people and if I get anywhere with flying I'll remember your help!

Maybe try to convince your dad that it would be a good father-daughter bonding experience if he learned to fly gliders with you.:D

I don't want them to think that my grades will drop or that I won't get into Harvard because I'll be dedicating more time to flight training.
I’d work this from the standpoint that flying combines various academic disciplines that will make you a more rounded individual, and therefore more desirable to Harvard. And, of course, starting sooner means you won’t need to concentrate the time away from your scholastic studies.

Or, you could find a Harvard at the airport... ;)
http://warbirdalley.com/t6.htm

Your understanding of the minimum ages is correct. If you can find a glider school convenient to you that is certainly an option and would let you get started now and not be held up waiting for you to hit the minimum age to solo.

You could get started now with airplanes too but of course you'd have a two year wait until you could solo which would slow your progression and make the training a bit more expensive. So when to start is primarily a financial decision.

Don't worry about flying clashing with learning to drive. Also as an instructor I've worked with many teenagers and haven't heard any complaints from parents about grades dropping. If anything the opposite is true. Aviation is a multidisciplinary field that will expose you to a lot of knowledge that is applicable to other fields. Also you can work on flight training primarily during summer breaks and dial it back while school is in session to help avoid any potential interference among the two.

I’d work this from the standpoint that flying combines various academic disciplines that will make you a more rounded individual, and therefore more desirable to Harvard. And, of course, starting sooner means you won’t need to concentrate the time away from your scholastic studies.

Or, you could find a Harvard at the airport... ;)
http://warbirdalley.com/t6.htm

That's a great point, I'll definitely try to approach it from that direction. I haven't thought of it that way before, and maybe it'll help me stand out if "private pilot" is in my application. That's an awesome tip, thanks! (Also, I love that joke )

Don't worry about flying clashing with learning to drive. Also as an instructor I've worked with many teenagers and haven't heard any complaints from parents about grades dropping. If anything the opposite is true. Aviation is a multidisciplinary field that will expose you to a lot of knowledge that is applicable to other fields. Also you can work on flight training primarily during summer breaks and dial it back while school is in session to help avoid any potential interference among the two.

I think that's a good idea about focusing on flight mostly during breaks so that it doesn't clash with school. I'm also glad to hear that it doesn't ruin grades, which I've had qualms about. Thank you!

I started lessons at 14. Soloed on my 16th birthday. If I can do it so can you. Just find a way. If one door closes, look for another. Are your parents supportive?

I am in eastern NC. I would be happy to give you a plane ride, with your parents consent, of course. My daughter flies with me often. She can come along if done before school resumes.

Last edited:
Another idea to put on your screen is a Civil Air Patrol unit in your area. Yes you’ll heard mixed reviews, much depends on the until. You won’t necessarily learn to fly there, but you’ll be around aviation at little cost. Most have good deals on glider flying at younger ages.

As long as next Summer is sorta normal(Covid), ask about a family trip to Oshkosh for Airventure. You can add side trips to have something for everyone.

Your understanding of the minimum ages is correct. If you can find a glider school convenient to you that is certainly an option and would let you get started now and not be held up waiting for you to hit the minimum age to solo.

You could get started now with airplanes too but of course you'd have a two year wait until you could solo which would slow your progression and make the training a bit more expensive. So when to start is primarily a financial decision.

The best part of a glider license....your parent(s) have to drive you to the airport. Then you get into the airplane and fly by yourself....after the tow, or course.

Flying in New York is even more fun, since the driving age is 18....with a Private (single engine) at 17, a parent has to drive you to the airport, then you go fly by yourself...or take a parent along!

Learning to fly can be a great complement to all the other things you're learning about, in school and in life. There's a lot of physics. Some math. A splash of engineering. There's navigating a complex legal system (of a sort). There's also risk management and decision making, which is perhaps the biggest thing that also separates a good car driver from a bad one. Also finance: learning to save in places, so you can spend in other places where it's important.

Your instructor's job is to keep you safe while you train. Trusting your instructor is vital, so it's OK to "try out" a few so you can find one where the communication is smooth.

Wow, I was not expecting this many replies in such a small amount of time. To clarify, yes, I'm a girl. I'm looking into glider training in NC right now, hopefully I'll find something. It looks like there are a few EAA chapters in my area. The Ninety-Nines also seem interesting, thank you for letting me know about them! I sent the EAA link to my dad and he replied with "ok..." so I don't know what he's thinking about this yet. I'll have to talk to him when he gets home. Thank you for all of your help so far, you are great people and if I get anywhere with flying I'll remember your help!
It looks like you have a few options for soaring in NC. You can search here: https://www.ssa.org/WhereToFlyMap.asp

If cost is an issue, the clubs can be an economical option because they often have members who instruct for free. But you might also find yourself working the line or helping in other operations for free.... You see how that works. At some clubs that might mean that you wind up on the ground in really nice days because the club instructors would rather be off soaring on those days rather than instructing. That might be OK for someone not in a hurry, but it can also be a nuisance. Just something to think and ask about. A commercial training operation would not have those same issues, but of course the cost will be higher.

The best part of a glider license....your parent(s) have to drive you to the airport. Then you get into the airplane and fly by yourself....after the tow, or course.

Flying in New York is even more fun, since the driving age is 18....with a Private (single engine) at 17, a parent has to drive you to the airport, then you go fly by yourself...or take a parent along!
There's this thing now called Uber....

The SSA has a fair number of scholarships to cover the cost of initial glider pilot training for young people.

Definitely check it out.

FWIW, my spouse is a 1st gen immigrant too, and likewise very focused on the kids academic career. My 14YO son wants to go to MIT or the AF Academy. In making his case, he told mom how good it would be a good discriminator on his college application. Mom, who has very little interest other than flying TO someplace, is now asking him daily how many of the ground school modules done. My rule is he has to finish the King course before he gets time with a CFI.

If you'd like a way to start learning about piloting, for free or very low cost, a good place to start is the FAA Handbook called the Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge (PHAK). You can download it for free or buy it in trade-paperback format for less than $20.00. Links to both are below. This book contains much of the information you must know to be a pilot.

https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aviation/phak/

https://www.amazon.com/Handbook-Aer...?dchild=1&keywords=phak&qid=1606766541&sr=8-4

Another FAA Handbook is the Airplane Flying Handbook (AFH). This is similar to the PHAK but focuses on flying the airplane and the tasks and manuvers who will learn during training. Here are those links.

https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aviation/airplane_handbook/

https://www.amazon.com/Airplane-Han...hild=1&keywords=faa+afh&qid=1606766814&sr=8-3

As you may have guessed by now, if you're intrested in flying gliders, there is also a Glider Flying Handbook (GFH).

https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aircraft/glider_handbook/

https://www.amazon.com/Federal-Aviation-Administration-Glider-Handbook/dp/1795858389/ref=sr_1_2?crid=2RC9LNIHLD86H&dchild=1&keywords=faa+glider+flying+handbook&qid=1606766897&sprefix=faa+glider+flyin,aps,169&sr=8-2

Watching you enthusiastically studying books such as these will likely have an affect on your parent's attitude toward you pursuing training. Parents tend to support their kids in pursuits of productive activities.

As at least a couple others have said, learning to fly involves so many different disciplines, like weather, physics, communication, navigation, etc. The old phrase comes to mind of "Flying the plane is easy, being a pilot is challenging". Seems to me if one can afford it, the path to getting a pilot's license can be so much of a rewarding challenge, and increase your confidence overall in life. Almost like "hey, if you can accomplish getting a pilot's license, just imagine what else you can accomplish!"

Good luck in your pursuit!

Welcome to the board! I developed my interest in aviation around your same age. If you can get involved with glider flying, I’d definitely do it. Lots of great skills can be taken from there into powered flight later down the road.

As @Jeff Oslick mentioned, check out Women in Aviation, it’s a great resource as you begin this journey!

Others have given good advice. I'll only add that if flying lessons aren't an option at the moment, consider getting involved in R/C models. Not drones, but airplane models without autopilots. They're actually harder to fly than a full scale plane in some ways, but the controls work the same way... it was a huge jump start on flying for me (and my engineering career as well).

As an SSA Cadet Introductory Member you will be entitled to:
  • Free SSA Cadet Introductory Membership through age 18.
  • Full access to SSA digital media;
    • Website access, including a personal blog
    • E-mail newsletters
    • SSA RSS feeds
    • Online archive of Soaring magazine since 1937
    • SSA Online Sailplane Directory
    • SSA's Facebook page

But trust me, you'll be a better pilot if you begin with Gliders, and transition to power later.

My advice to new pilots now is always to consider starting in gliders. The reason is that gliders really teach you how a set of wings and controls behave in the air, without the distractions of power and other items.

It is how the Wright Brothers first taught themselves to fly in a controlled manner before they added power -- and one of the main reasons they were successful where others failed. It also emphasizes the use of the rudder, which many pilots starting in tricycle gear aircraft don't use often enough.

And who knows, you might grow to enjoy soaring for it's own sake. It is a very elegant sport -

You have time, I would download the FAA PDF resources and print them out for study. I started flight training before I got my driver's license and it shouldn't get in the way. Even if your parents won't let you flight train now, you can do it on your own in the future. Study now, join and apply to all the resources you have available and you will be set up for success. Good luck!

Paul S had excellent advice - Look for a local EAA chapter that has a "young eagles" program.

MauleSkinner as well - Position this as an engineering / critical thinking / educational preparation venture. Given the studying for your written test, it is the truth. This hobby will make you more well rounded and help academics wise. And BTW - think of how much bragging mom and dad can do with "my teenager, the pilot".

Assuming mom and dad are OK, the first step is to get all the information you can about getting a 3rd class medical. DO NOT attempt to get one without determining from a variety of sources that there will be no trouble passing / getting a 3rd class. Only after a lot of research and with a high degree of certainty do you then go to a aviation doctor (an AME) and get one.

In addition to all of the other good advice, I'd also take a discovery flight to see if you like it. If so, hit the books so that you can take the written test done when you turn 16 along with getting your student pilot's license. The written test is good for 2 years, so you have 2 years to get your pilot's license. You can start training / flying at age 16, hit it hard during the summer when you're 16, and keep flying / polishing up so you can take the practical test on you 17th birthday!

Another place to look is Aviation Explorers, which is a branch of the Boy Scouts (but co-ed, like the rest of Boy Scouts now), for 14-20 year olds.

Are Civil Air Patrol Cadets still around? I got started in the Cadets in the 50's. Soloed at 16 in 54, Private at 17 in 55 and I'm still flying today. I had stick time in L-16s before I started taking lessons.

Paul
Salome, AZ.

I started at 14, (1954) and have worked in and around aviation for 66 years.
Hopefully your smarter than that. get your degree, make big money, then play with aircraft.

Good on you! If only you would talk to my 14 year old son who will not fly with me. o_O:confused: (He likes turning a wrench on the car in the hangar and eating from the airport cafe though...) :p

Maybe see if your dad will do an introductory flight with you? Maybe you two could train together as a father/daughter thing (as suggested above?)

Glider is good also and a great way to build hours and technique. Maybe begin studying ground school as well.

Are Civil Air Patrol Cadets still around? I got started in the Cadets in the 50's. Soloed at 16 in 54, Private at 17 in 55 and I'm still flying today. I had stick time in L-16s before I started taking lessons.

Paul
Salome, AZ.

Yes. There were a bunch of them doing some regimented sort of activity at KFFZ just a month ago near my tie-down.

I've been flying model airplanes since I was 9 years old. I started my PPL training in November at age 17 in 1976, got my license at 18 in March of 1977. I wasn't very good in school anyway, so the flying didn't matter there too much in that regard lol.

I'm currently flying with a girl (she's 21) who's in college. She's been flying with me since she was a junior in high school. She flies my 172, 150, and just recently started flying the Rans S6 that my brother & I just purchased. She's the reason/inspiration for me to pursue my sport pilot CFI rating. She can t/o and land, fly the sport pilot maneuvers, and handles the 150 and the S6 like a pro. She's got about 35 hours of "unofficial" left seat time with me. In August, before she went back to college, we flew 26 hours that month. We both know she can't log the time, but learning is learning. I own the airplanes and live on a private airport, so none of it is costing her a dime, it's all on me.

I've found most (not all) instructors are only instructing for the time and money. I'm 62 years old and don't need either one. That's why I want to do sport, I don't have comm or inst. ratings and have no desire to make money flying. I just want to help others enjoy flying as much as I do.

Last edited:
Solo in Canada is at 14. Can't drive a car solo until 16.

Go figure.

I agree with all of the others in saying that it's never too early to fly, and it won't get in the way of studies (and if anything will add context to the whole book-learning side of things).

If your parents need someone to talk to, I'm in Durham NC and have the somewhat-over-the-top educational credentials that you parents might find reassuring (physics degree from Penn State, MD from Duke, PhD in engineering from Oxford, now a few months away from being a pediatric anesthesiologist and working out a job that will combine that with engineering). I went to high school at a school kind of like NCSSM but in Maryland, and while my parents aren't immigrants, many of my friends' were, so I have a pretty good feel for the "education first" attitude.

All that said, while it might be difficult to figure out during this covid surge, I'd be happy to help chat with your parents or to take the three of you on a flight if you think it would be helpful.

Good luck!

Back