KTEX....another fatal..RV-4

Half mile east of the airport? East of Telluride is not a good place to be while landing. All the approaches are from the west to Rwy 9, and 27 not always the good choice. Flightaware track ends quite a bit south of the airport. Looks like he took off from Durango, followed the valley north, then headed NW to KTEX. But the FA track indicates he didn't get higher than 12.5 or so, with hills in the area well over 12K. According to the comments in Kathryn's Report, weather was clear, light winds from the west, he was on approach for Rwy 27.

Catalina, Sedona, Telluride and my field Dona Ana are all on mesas ... if windy, change your touchdown further down the runway. There can be some massive sink. I landed Telluride last November, was supposed to be clear and no wind ... I got the clear, but a head wind from the Cones VOR of about 35-40 knots out of the east, but field was reporting 19 knots out of the west ... that was a HUGE wind shear landing 27 and I landed long on purpose knowing it was there ... attempting runway 9 with those numbers would be a bad outcome. It's not hard to stay east of the highway landing 27, it's noise abatement only anyway and the heli-ski chopper is louder than snot up there (I've skied there every year for the past 25 years).

Back