172/Dutchess Near Miss

this part of training with instrument students is very deficient.. they'll make one radio call "on the VOR ALPHA practice approach" .. what the hell is that? Even a 20,000 hr IR pilot shouldn't be expected to have all the approaches memorized and ready when they're just doing a vfr burger run

Let's try "5 miles to the south, on a long final to rwy X, remaining above 1,500, then departing to the northwest when over the field" - at least now the others know what the hell you're doing
Oh that’s not the case at this airport. It’s the opposite, or maybe ore accurately, it’s this on steroids. They have a complicated procedure for shooting approaches that apparently allows 20 people to do it at once “safely” so the school can pump out puppies at a breakneck speed.

http://aftw.org/cgz_practice_approaches.PDF

This enhances safety. :rolleyes: And, I’m not sure how people are supposed to know this before they go to the airport.

Last edited:
I’ve talked about it here before, but I had a Saratoga just miss me exactly like that video, at a towered field, no less. The pilot told me on the ground that he had me on the traffic display but never did see me. They’re out there, folks.

I had that same situation happen to me while flying to Casa Grande. The 182 flew from behind me at my 5 o'clock, directly under me and then entered the pattern lower and ahead of me. Although I started announcing 5 miles out and monitoring Unicom much further, I never heard a word from the Asian student until I said something on the radio in the downwind. "The 182 that just entered the downwind flew directly under me at about forty feet." No reply, no announcement about entering the downwind..nothing. As I was at the point of MY base turn still following the 182 on the downwind who decided to fly the bomber pattern, "Hey 182, you planning on turning base anytime soon?" An American voice quickly answered, "we're turning base now."

I haven't been back there since.

You never get over Macho... er Casa Grande!

Sorry you had that experience while here Salty and sorry my shifts didn't coincide for a meet up. Casa Grande is a weird airport to fly into. The wind favors 23 yet you have a stack of students making ILS approaches to 5. I've rolled out on 23 to see another airplane short final to 5. It's a stupid way to fly, therefore I don't fly there. Its a shame because the gas prices are lower there than at Tucson.

Just a few miles to the NW is AkChin (A39). Usually cheaper fuel and no practice approaches off the Stanfield stack. KCGZ has really become a zoo lately.

Just a few miles to the NW is AkChin (A39). Usually cheaper fuel and no practice approaches off the Stanfield stack. KCGZ has really become a zoo lately.

Been to AkChin several times and have enjoyed the new AWOS and the cheap gas. However, one must plan to go there when the wind is from the Southeast, that dairy nearby can get pretty ripe.

Been to AkChin several times and have enjoyed the new AWOS and the cheap gas. However, one must plan to go there when the wind is from the Southeast, that dairy nearby can get pretty ripe.

Reminds me of home in the midwest!

Sorry you had that experience while here Salty and sorry my shifts didn't coincide for a meet up. Casa Grande is a weird airport to fly into. The wind favors 23 yet you have a stack of students making ILS approaches to 5. I've rolled out on 23 to see another airplane short final to 5. It's a stupid way to fly, therefore I don't fly there. Its a shame because the gas prices are lower there than at Tucson.

happens here all the time, especially the podunk airports close to Grand Forks. doesnt matter which runway the wind favors and other VFR pilots are using, seems all UND students make it their mission to fly low approach on the opposite side and make radio calls that mortal VFR pilots without some good IR training and the ability to have the approach charts handy will not understand. after a few encounters like you described, i just avoid those airports unless its a sunday i know UND planes are on the ground.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back