Microphone issuees...

Brayton Thompson

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
thompsbp
Hey everyone,

I am very new to aviation with just under 10 hours of flight instruction. I purchased a David Clark h10-13.4. I fly in a Remos G3 600 working on my sport pilot cert.

Something weird happens every once in a while when flying. There will be a 'pop' over the intercom and my microphone stops working entirely. Only happens with my headset. My instructor's headset which is also a David Clark (different model) never has any issues. Even when operating in the left seat jacks. The microphone will usually start working again after we plug my instructor's headset in to the left seat jacks, then unplug it and swap back to mine.

Any idea what's going on here?

Thanks

Instructor says I will solo soon but I am hesitant to solo with flaky comms.

The David Clark H10-13.4 uses a M7A microphone element. There is an amplifier built into the mic..... maybe intermittent electronics internal to the mic, is the headset new or used? A replacement mic is available from Aircraft Spruce and others for approx. $39.95

Attachments

• M-7A Microphone.jpg
    M-7A Microphone.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 8
Thanks for the heads up. The headset is practically brand new. Bought it back in August from Sporty's. The mic went out on the very first flight, but then was ok for the next 3-4 lessons before going out again.

If it is almost brand new, Sporty's or David Clark should repair/replace it under warranty.

Even brand-new headsets will have problems if the owner wraps the cord tightly around the headset when he's done with it. Doing that bends the cord sharply right where it enters the earcup, eventually fatiguing the very fine wires inside it, and they can get intermittent. DC headsets have better cords than some but I've still fixed too many of them. Never wrap that cord tightly.

Put the headset on and turn the intercom on and play with that cord near the earcup and see what you hear. It helps if the intercom squelch is set open so that you're getting ambient noise through the mike. If that finds nothing, work the cord at the plugs. Wiggle the plugs in the jacks. Wiggle the small mike wire near the mike itself and where it enters the earcup.

There is no better service than David Clark.

Call them. See what THEY say.

Pro tip...have the operating manuals for your Audio panel handy and be near the plane...

The "pop" you're describing seems like an electrical issue plane-side vs headphones. Is there any squeal or buzz before the pop? I'd check the jack as mentioned above and also look for a loose ground somewhere. I had a similar problem with a car stereo years ago that would sound great, then get an alternator buzz, loud pop, then go totally quiet. Turned out to be a loose ground that was causing a filtering capacitor to build a huge charge and send a pretty good jolt through the system.

That's what I kind of thought too. But my instructor assures me that my headset is the only one having issues. He has roughly 25 hours a week of students in that plane too. So I am inclined to believe him. I have time on the plane this Sat and will play with the headset cabling then. Will def call DC to see if they have any advice. Thanks.

Do you have a older DC with the gold plugs? If so clean them really good and get them nice and shiny... Use scotchbrite or steel wool.
I deal with headsets daily and this is the most common issue.
CLEAN THE DAMN PLUGS! LOL!

Back