Compass Correction Card Location

Lawson Laslo

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
N2005H
Hello,
My Ercoupe never had a compass correction card.
So we swung the compass and have made a card for it.
There is no mounting location on the vertical card compass and would rather mount it on the dashboard anyways.
Is there any regulations saying where the card must be placed etc..
I am wanting to place it under my radio/ Transponder stack.
Is there anything (regulations...) preventing me from doing so
IMG-4161 (2).JPG

Last edited:
I would just mount it as close as possible. I think the cards have little practical use, though some seem to fuss over them, then the regs.

If not that center bar(sideways even), how about near the top of the instrument panel. It’s not like you’ll need the adjustments.

How about printing it small enough to tape to the side of the compass case?

Is there anything (regulations...) preventing me from doing so
FYI: the CARs/FARs state the correction card should be "on or near" the compass. Why not use a small card and stick it to the pilot side of the compass?

FYI, per the FARs you aren’t allowed to swing a compass—it has to be done by an avionics tech or A&P and then logged in the airplane logbook. There was a discussion a while ago here and there is an AC with details.

FYI, per the FARs you aren’t allowed to swing a compass—it has to be done by an avionics tech or A&P and then logged in the airplane logbook. There was a discussion a while ago here and there is an AC with details.
I read that
it was was done by a properly qualified mechanic

I have printed it onto a sticker so I can adhere it anywhere.
I don’t necessarily like the idea of putting it on the compass, would like to keep compass clean since it’s in plain view...
Will most likely stick it to the panel if there’s no regulations saying I can’t

A compass card mounted to the right of the starter switch/compass card and holder.jpg handle should meet the requirements. A holder and card are available from Aircraft spruce. photo attached

You’ve done your research. Put it where you please accordingly. Your compass has been swung, you have a correction card, you know where it is for instant visual access. That seems both safe and compliant. I doubt you’ll get inspected and even more doubtful you’ll be cited. Worst case, CFI or DPE give you a hard time.

Love your panel.

Last edited:
The panel on an Ercoupe is small enough that anywhere on it is “near” the compass, IMO.

Your panel looks so much nicer than the one in the club Ercoupe that I’ve flown. I completely understand being picky about not spoiling the appearance by sticking it on the compass itself.

150CB4E7-C788-4890-97CF-01C13CAAF851.jpeg
The panel on an Ercoupe is small enough that anywhere on it is “near” the compass, IMO.

Your panel looks so much nicer than the one in the club Ercoupe that I’ve flown. I completely understand being picky about not spoiling the appearance by sticking it on the compass itself.
Thank you
It’s came a long ways!
Here it was before

Had the OEM compass been retained, rather than up graded vertical face one, you would have a correction card attached.

Once you actually have a compass card, 95% is done. The location is less to get worked up about.

Had the OEM compass been retained, rather than up graded vertical face one, you would have a correction card attached.
I prefer Vertical cards much more so was glad it had it

The original Ercoupes didn’t have compass correction card and they had a panel mounted compass as seen in photo8F1D0601-55EF-4B31-BEFA-17CE961FA9B2.jpeg

Back