Walrus on Sectional ??

Tantalum

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
San_Diego_Pilot
Occasionally I scroll around the world on Foreflight adding fictional "bucket list" airports.. well.. I came across this..

I have never see a walrus on a sectional and can't find it on the legend..?? Anyone? @Zeldman ? This is in Alaska..

upload_2020-11-27_16-37-45.png

"... harassing walruses is a violation of U.S. law."

No one likes you, walrus. You look funny. The other walruses don't like you either.
Woah! What did the walrus ever do to you? Walruses don’t suck...........ok, I am wrong. They have the most powerful mouth suction forces in nature and can not only suck the meat out of a living clam, but can also suck the skin right off a seal.

Occasionally I scroll around the world on Foreflight adding fictional "bucket list" airports.. well.. I came across this..

I have never see a walrus on a sectional and can't find it on the legend..?? Anyone? @Zeldman ? This is in Alaska..

View attachment 92102

I'm looking at it on Google Earth and I sure don't see no damn airport.

As usual I am a little late to the party and the question has already been answered....

All I can add is the image indicates a wildlife sensitive area that is not charted U.S. Wildlife Refuges, Parks, and Forest Service Areas, which are marked by a solid blue line with blue dots on the protected side of the line.

monomoy-national-wildlife-refuge.jpg

I am guessing the pictures are really for the illiterate pilots among us....

Basically the walrus image told me where I might see some wallys during summer...

I understand these images were rejected...

images

And man, Tantalum, you are looking at places in Alaska where I have never been..!! :lol:

There's gonna be that one student pilot planning his VFR cross country flight that is going to miss his checkpoint, looking out the window for the giant magenta walrus.
If you see giant magenta walrus’ you forgot the 8 hour bottle-to-throttle rule.

Thanks for all the replies guys, really do learn something new everyday..!

I'm curious what other "animals" are lurking out there. I always thought the wildlife protected areas just have the standard symbology for it.. like the condor areas here, wasn't expecting a walrus to get such special treatment!

“Walrus Haulout”. Do they use a winch or a windlass or just an old fashion Duce and a Half?

Cheers

In the summer it was not unusual to see a dead wally washed up on shore, minus the head and flippers.

After a few days in the warm sun all the wrinkles would be gone.....

Back