First renewal of medical with SODA

DMartin

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
DMartin
So this past year I was granted a SODA after an issue arose with my visual fields. It's now been nearly 1 year and I would like to renew my 1st class medical. Going over the paperwork I have it says that in addition to the normal exam I will need to

"At least 60 days prior to the expiration of your medical certificate, you are required to obtain the following: A current eye evaluation in accordance with the enclosed specifications. FAA form 8500-7 should be completed by your eye physician legibly and in its entirety"

I was hoping someone could help clarify, they say "60 days prior". Is the intent to have the 8500-7 filled out WITHIN 60 days of my medical exam...or does is specifically need to be 60 days prior to the medical exam? If the later is true, why?

I've got the 8500-7 done to issue the SODA but never to renew the medical.

I think no less than gives them time to review. Best to call CAMI?

I've got the 8500-7 done to issue the SODA but never to renew the medical.

I think no less than gives them time to review. Best to call CAMI?

I think you're right. I believe I just misread the paperwork. It says on the authorization letter "Consideration for new authorization will be contingent upon the following:" and then lists my quote from the original post. So I assume that's only required for a new authorization every 5 years

I think you're right. I believe I just misread the paperwork. It says on the authorization letter "Consideration for new authorization will be contingent upon the following:" and then lists my quote from the original post. So I assume that's only required for a new authorization every 5 years

I got my SODA in 2013 and have had a few class 1s since then. Guess it depends on your authorisation. They can always ask for more detail at any time.

DMartin, if your paperwork has that language that's not a SODA. It's a Special Issuance.

DMartin, if your paperwork has that language that's not a SODA. It's a Special Issuance.

I'm a little confused...it seems I have both. The letter that I have been quoting from is titled "AUTHORIZATION FOR SPECIAL ISSUANCE OF A MEDICAL CERTIFICATION" which is set to expire in 2026. However, in that same envelope came my 1st class medical AND my SODA.

After re-reading, it seems that I simply need to present my authorization to my AME along with a normal application for 1st class medical and nothing more. At least until the Authorization expires in 2026 at which point I must submit an 8500-7 at least 60 days before the expiration of my Authorization. Correct? I'll be sure to check with my AME but I pulled out the paperwork this weekend and got a little worried that I was late to submit the correct paperwork

I'm a little confused...it seems I have both. The letter that I have been quoting from is titled "AUTHORIZATION FOR SPECIAL ISSUANCE OF A MEDICAL CERTIFICATION" which is set to expire in 2026. However, in that same envelope came my 1st class medical AND my SODA.

After re-reading, it seems that I simply need to present my authorization to my AME along with a normal application for 1st class medical and nothing more. At least until the Authorization expires in 2026 at which point I must submit an 8500-7 at least 60 days before the expiration of my Authorization. Correct? I'll be sure to check with my AME but I pulled out the paperwork this weekend and got a little worried that I was late to submit the correct paperwork
In addition to the special issuance, do you also have something that says "statement of demonstrated ability"?

In addition to the special issuance, do you also have something that says "statement of demonstrated ability"?

Yes. The SODA document states "This certifies that the attached is your official FAA Statement of Demonstrated Ability. This certificate must be in your possession at all times while exercising your pilot privileges." This is printed just below the portion to be cut out and kept on your person, which I have done for the past ~11 months.

... It's now been nearly 1 year and I would like to renew my 1st class medical. ...
"At least 60 days prior to the expiration of your medical certificate, you are required to obtain the following: ....

I can't say that I have any actual experience regarding this, but the way I would interpret the language is that they are requiring the additional 8500-7 "at least" 60 days prior to the expiration of your medical certificate. Your First Class medical certificate actually expires in 60 months if you were under 40 at time of issuance. Although your First Class privileges end in 12 months, your medical is still good for Third Class for 60. I would assume your good for 5 years and just need to show your documentation to the AME on your next First Class exam. Just my opinion of the language, unless they state otherwise!!

I can't say that I have any actual experience regarding this, but the way I would interpret the language is that they are requiring the additional 8500-7 "at least" 60 days prior to the expiration of your medical certificate. Your First Class medical certificate actually expires in 60 months if you were under 40 at time of issuance. Although your First Class privileges end in 12 months, your medical is still good for Third Class for 60. I would assume your good for 5 years and just need to show your documentation to the AME on your next First Class exam. Just my opinion of the language, unless they state otherwise!!

Normally you would be correct but they have included a stipulation stating "Not valid for any class after (Expiration date)"

Normally you would be correct but they have included a stipulation stating "Not valid for any class after (Expiration date)"

Okay, that clears that up. Since the FAA typically wants the "current" status of a condition, the "at least" 60 days prior is confusing. I interpret it as more than 60 days, but this sounds contradictory to current status since "at least" implies an indefinite amount of time. I was told that FAA wants a visual field to be within 30 days, so I don't know. I think this is a time when literal interpretation of the language may not be the correct interpretation. Although it was not specifically required by an SI for my medicals, I would always visit my ophthalmologist and get the 8500-7 filled out within 2 weeks of my medical exam so that it would be current.

Just to clear things up a bit since I have posted a few of the important parts at different times, I'll post the entire issuing portion of the letter here:

"I have determined, however, that you may be granted Authorization for special issuance of the enclosed updated first-class airman medical certificate under Title 14 of the CFRs, Section 67.401. The certificate expires January 31, 2021, and supersedes any previously issues certificates. This AUTHORIZATION supersedes any previously issued AUTHORIZATION.

This Authorization expires: January 31, 2026.
You must present this Authorization to your aviation medical examiner (AME) at the time of each FAA medical application. The medical certificate(s) issued pursuant to this Authorization shall not be valid beyond the expiration date of this Authorization.

Consideration for new Authorization will be contingent upon the following:

1. A physical examination (FAA Form 8500-8) by a designated AME will be required at the frequency prescribes under the provisions of Title 14 of the CFRs, Section 61.23. Your next first-class application will be due in January 2021.

2. At least 60 days prior to the expiration of your medical certificate, you are required to obtain the following:

• A current eye evaluation in accordance with the enclosed specifications. FAA form 8500-7 should be completed by your eye physician legibly and in its entirety
We have received the favorable results of the Medical Flight Test"

Enclosed with this letter was a first-class medical certificate and SODA. To me it seems as though I need to provide this authorization to my AME, but the 8500-7 is only required at the expiration of the AUTHORIZATION in 2026

The current eye eval. is required each year for renewal, for your unstated (by you) condition.

Yes that's correct, thank you. I just got off the phone with my AME who explained that the 60 day timeline is not very critical, as long as it is done before the 1st class medical expiration date and submitted along with a new medical application. Though I will still still send a copy to CAMI on time, just to be safe.

For those wondering the condition is a retinal detachment that was corrected surgically which resulted in a visual field test that flagged a high number of false positives. I can only assume this is why the FAA did not grant me a normal medical. We'll see what my results are this time, I have been reading about the visual field test being not the most reliable metric. Especially for patients who have not been exposed to it before.

I have this same SODA/SI issue, except with a 3rd class and I’m over 40. In the years that my medical will be expiring, I have to get the eye exam and visual field results and take them with me to the AME. He will issue me a medical that is good for 2 years and send all of the documentation to the FAA. Eventually the FAA sends me another medical containing the same language that you mentioned saying that it supersedes that one and is authorized for the full term but expires in one year. At the end of that year, I just submit the information they asked for, two months prior to expiration and they send me a new medical. I was also confused by all of this in the beginning but have been doing it for a number of years. The reason they say to send it in 60 days prior to expiration is so there is enough time to get it processed prior to expiration.

My issue is blindness, in one eye, due to MS, so I guess they want to monitor me closely due to possibility of the disease causing more damage. Along with the eye exam/ visual field documentation, I have to send a letter from my neurologist stating that I am good to go.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back