Strangest thing you've ever seen in the boonies

A group of friends and I were riding quads in the middle of nowhere, Southern Arizona. It started raining and we found a "church." At least it looked somewhat like a church outside but when we entered the unlocked structure, there were paintings of spiders, webs, planets and other non-churchy stuff. There were also numerous plastic cremation boxes filled with remains located in little nooks in the walls.

Flying a Huey nap of the earth over Camp Swift TX one day decades ago I saw a black panther running gracefully through the scrub trees. Did a quick 180 to see it again but it was gone. Consulting my friend google I now see that it was probably a jaguarundi. Whatever, it was one cool cat.

Flying a Huey nap of the earth over Camp Swift TX one day decades ago I saw a black panther running gracefully through the scrub trees. Did a quick 180 to see it again but it was gone. Consulting my friend google I now see that it was probably a jaguarundi. Whatever, it was one cool cat.

It might have been a black panther. I grew up in Bryan, about 60-70 miles east of Bastrop and occasionally we found panther tracks in the mud near the Brazos and Navasota rivers, and a few times heard them screech at night. Old timers would tell us stories of how they would see black panthers when they were young men. I never saw one. About 5 years ago, a friend of mine showed me some pictures off his game trail camera he had set up on his property near Hearne. It captured a sure 'nuff black panther walking by.

It might have been a black panther. I grew up in Bryan, about 60-70 miles east of Bastrop and occasionally we found panther tracks in the mud near the Brazos and Navasota rivers, and a few times heard them screech at night. Old timers would tell us stories of how they would see black panthers when they were young men. I never saw one. About 5 years ago, a friend of mine showed me some pictures off his game trail camera he had set up on his property near Hearne. It captured a sure 'nuff black panther walking by.
My Dad would tell us about how a panther sounded like a crying baby. One night I was out hunting with my Dad and my Uncle and we heard a sound like a crying baby. My Dad was the toughest guy I've ever known and he was instantly scared. We all jumped in the back of the truck, in the camper shell and watched as the panther walked through camp. I still get chills thinking about it 35 years later.

In an Eskimo village in southwest Alaska I saw a red headed native kid speaking Yupik.

For those that don't know, Yupik is a very guttural language, probably the closest language to cave man talk left in existence.

<-- When I lived in Bethel, I listened to "The Tundra Drums," which was a 30 minute spoken newspaper spoken in Yupik. It was broadcast on the local NPR station.

I knew the chief and his son pretty well and they taught me many of the sounds used to convey certain meanings. It really helped me pronounce the names of the local villages, but it always sounded like choking on a cheeseburger...

Yep, in the boonies
41c538c40840d40c4a044fb298b60e14.jpg

Sent from my BV9900Pro using Tapatalk

That one's too strange for POA, maybe reddit or the like. Can't see it from an airplane fortunately.

A monkey riding as a passenger on a motorcycle in Thailand, holding onto the driver's waist.

Wild things, like indoor plumbing? Ever try out for a Pace Picante ad? “New York CITY!??!?” :)

Flying over Jordan, MT, I saw a large concrete structure, block shaped and about the size of a school for maybe 150 students, with some weird gardens and 1960s-era construction equipment parked around it, and no roads to anywhere. As far as I can tell, it was not related to any of the 1990s militia incidents in that area, since it only showed up in the most recent Google Earth imagery. But it wouldn’t surprise me if there turned out to be some names involved in both projects.

I will be a gentleman and refrain from replying to a disrespectful comment with another disrespectful comment.

I was crop spraying in Canada .... the product could not be applied in direct sunlight .... so I started at 2:00 AM and finished at 7:00 AM just as the sun was coming up.

I was tired and by the time I cleaned and rinsed my sprayer I was very tired . Jumped in the company truck and headed home in a slow drive .

Couple miles down the road I caught some movement in my left vision so I looked over and I swear I saw an Ostrich run up out of the ditch , crossed in front of me , and continue across the prairie. Not possible I thought .... no Ostriches in Canada ..... I even considered the crop spraying fumes may be playing a trick with my mind.

I later found out a local farmer had imported a breeding pair and one had escaped. The whole ostrich-breeding idea was a scam presented by some marketing crook who said you could make a fortune selling the feathers and meat and eggs.

I was crop spraying in Canada .... the product could not be applied in direct sunlight .... so I started at 2:00 AM and finished at 7:00 AM just as the sun was coming up.

I was tired and by the time I cleaned and rinsed my sprayer I was very tired . Jumped in the company truck and headed home in a slow drive .

Couple miles down the road I caught some movement in my left vision so I looked over and I swear I saw an Ostrich run up out of the ditch , crossed in front of me , and continue across the prairie. Not possible I thought .... no Ostriches in Canada ..... I even considered the crop spraying fumes may be playing a trick with my mind.

I later found out a local farmer had imported a breeding pair and one had escaped. The whole ostrich-breeding idea was a scam presented by some marketing crook who said you could make a fortune selling the feathers and meat and eggs.

Heh -

There was a place not far from me that used to have a couple emus running around.

A high school friend of my daughter owned an emu for a while. She lived in the county and they had quite a menagerie of horses and other critters. The emu died, so her dad buried it out in the back-40.

Several years later her uncle was doing some work out there and dug up some bones. He was all excited and laid out the bones as best he could. When she got home from school her uncle was really proud of what he had found and was telling her all about the dinosaur he had uncovered. She said, "That looks like our emu", and then the uncle wasn't so excited anymore.

I will be a gentleman and refrain from replying to a disrespectful comment with another disrespectful comment.
I didn’t intend disrespect, only a bit of humor. I also choose to live as far from the madding crowd as possible. I apologize if my effect didn’t match my intent. :)

The whole ostrich-breeding idea was a scam presented by some marketing crook who said you could make a fortune selling the feathers and meat and eggs.

A friend of mine in Texas fell for that. He had several ostriches, and after the first year the birds and all the eggs were ''stolen''.

Good thing he had them covered by insurance.

One of my wife’s uncles fell into the ostrich scam. Super nice guy. I have no idea how much he may have made or lost in that deal, but nobody talks bout it.

Seen lots of weird things while hiking. Flying, there was the time I was flying my paramotor about 30' high and 30' offshore (no minimum altitude for ultralights) and a naked woman stepped out of a house on the beach, and s-l-o-w-l-y turned around and went back inside.

Another weird one, maybe somebody knows... in the NJ Pine Barrens southwest of MJX (that's Coyle, a private field for the NJ Forest Fire Service in the bottom of the image), there are a bunch of clearings in the shape of letters... L, E, H, I, O, V, plus a bunch of triple rectangles... any idea what they were? I used to land my T-Craft on them back in the 1980s, they're still visible today.

upload_2020-11-29_19-5-43.png

...The whole ostrich-breeding idea was a scam presented by some marketing crook who said you could make a fortune selling the feathers and meat and eggs.

Hah! I remember getting something about ostrich farming in one of those junk mail reply-card packs. I filled it out and sent it back... with the name and address of a good friend. Some years later, we casually mentioned ostriches to her... "you know, it's the strangest thing, somebody keeps calling me and sending me information about ostrich farming, I don't know why..." :D

Seen lots of weird things while hiking. Flying, there was the time I was flying my paramotor about 30' high and 30' offshore (no minimum altitude for ultralights) and a naked woman stepped out of a house on the beach, and s-l-o-w-l-y turned around and went back inside.

Another weird one, maybe somebody knows... in the NJ Pine Barrens southwest of MJX (that's Coyle, a private field for the NJ Forest Fire Service in the bottom of the image), there are a bunch of clearings in the shape of letters... L, E, H, I, O, V, plus a bunch of triple rectangles... any idea what they were? I used to land my T-Craft on them back in the 1980s, they're still visible today.

View attachment 92146

Hah! I remember getting something about ostrich farming in one of those junk mail reply-card packs. I filled it out and sent it back... with the name and address of a good friend. Some years later, we casually mentioned ostriches to her... "you know, it's the strangest thing, somebody keeps calling me and sending me information about ostrich farming, I don't know why..." :D
There's lots of strange things in the NJ Pine Barrens. That place is flatter than Nebraska, but you can't see that for the trees. As for the letters, the aliens decided crop circles were too cryptic, and they decided to spell things out for us. :)

Apparently, part of the rye strip field making project included follow-up studies, meant to monitor how various vegetations fared in the clearings. Someone came up with the idea of literally crafting different fields in the shape of letters. In that way, aerial surveillance could be done via fly-overs. It was like reading a managerial alphabet soup.
https://jaymanntoday.ning.com/profiles/blogs/pwednesday-february-16

View attachment 92146

Those structures look like greenhouse type farm structures or ginseng tents ..... interesting that some look like letters of the alphabet.

Years ago I kept hearing about crop circles .... I dismissed them as pranks but there was (still is) a dedicated following of people who think they are made by UFO's or some top secret military project.

Then one day I was flying over a military base and they had a whole bunch of those circles and many of them were divided into sections and triangles and I started to become a "believer"

I felt foolish once I found out they were potato farms with irrigation systems that pivoted in a circle .

ps: once the craze died down all our ostrich - emu farmers went silent from embarrassment for being conned. The guy who owned the bird I saw had paid $20k for his pair.

Attachments

• shilo crop circles.JPG
    shilo crop circles.JPG
    96.4 KB · Views: 21
Not too far from where I grew up.

http://www.mysteryhole.com/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

All right, what is it? Yeah, I used the link and it does nothing to explain it.

Edit: I used my Google-Fu

Mystery Hole is located in Ansted, West Virginia, near Hawks Nest State Park and Cathedral Falls in West Virginia. ... The Mystery Hole is an underground series of rooms where the walls and floors are built at angles to give the impression that there is something wrong with the gravity in the area.

In the mid-1980s I was a college student in central New Jersey. The comedian David Brynner was at the time a radio pitchman for Taco Bell in Philadelphia; they played his ads often on WMMR.

Fast forward about 5 years; I was about 2 years out of college and visiting a friend of mine in Las Vegas. It was July and very hot, so we decided to drive up to the summit of Mt. Richardson northwest of town to try to cool off. There was a small resort at the summit which in those days was very much in the boonies. Out on the patio, sipping a cocktail, was David Brynner. I walked up to him and asked, "Excuse me, sir, do you know where there's a Taco Bell around here?"

He thought that was pretty funny and bought drinks for my friend and I all afternoon!

Back