Strangest thing you've ever seen in the boonies

I saw two people having ‘relations’ in the pickup truck. I didn’t give it to much thought.

I used to drive a cabover Pete in the 70's and 80's. Looking down at passing 4 wheelers - some xxx entertainment every now and then

I saw two people having ‘relations’ in the pickup truck. I didn’t give it to much thought.

Similar situation. As a kid, I lived out in the sticks. One day on the afternoon bus ride home we passed a car that was parked just off of a little country road. The door was open, and a woman was fully reclined with her legs sticking out the open door. And some dude railing her.

Sex in the boonies ain't that strange. The strangest thing I ever saw (or that happened to me) in the middle of nowhere was one time about 30 years ago, I got off interstate 12 going through Louisiana, and wound up at some one light town somewhere where there was nothing but a stop light and a diner/gas station/general store, and miles of swampy woods all around. I had gotten bored, and decided to take a highway all the way into New Orleans just for fun. But, once I got out a ways, I was beginning to have 2nd thoughts.

It was pitch dark except from a single light pole near the gas pump and a little light from the diner. No credit card reader on the pump, so I went into the store/diner. I could hear music playing, people talking and the usual diner type noises. The woman at the cash register said her credit card thingy didn't work so could I just pay cash. I got $20 worth of gas and a cup of coffee.

The strange thing was, as soon as I walked in the door, the juke box quit playing music (I assume it was the juke box that was playing) and all conversation stopped. I could literally feel all the eyes on me the whole time I was there. I pumped the gas and got the hell out of there. As I was leaving, there were several people at the door watching me make my exit. ---Creepy!

Similar situation. As a kid, I lived out in the sticks. One day on the afternoon bus ride home we passed a car that was parked just off of a little country road. The door was open, and a woman was fully reclined with her legs sticking out the open door. And some dude railing her.
Not sure about boonies, but I witnessed this coming into Montrose Harbor (Chicago) about 25 feet from the harbor entrance. The other boat was clearly adrift so we approached ready to lend assistance. From a few feet away we fired up the torch and... well, you know the rest.

Similar theme so I guess it’s not so much strange as it was just unexpected. My wife and I were driving through eastern NC on the way to the Outer Banks and saw a guy sitting on an ATV right at the side of the road playing a little 5 on 1...grinning from ear to ear.

Driving through Nebraska this year stopped to get gas. There was a hearse with the hot wheels logo on it in front of the adult store next door to the gas station. If the guy wasn't in jail I swear I saw Ron Jeremy step out of the store smoking a cigarette.

Not sure about boonies, but I witnessed this coming into Montrose Harbor (Chicago) about 25 feet from the harbor entrance. The other boat was clearly adrift so we approached ready to lend assistance. From a few feet away we fired up the torch and... well, you know the rest.
Don't call it the playpen for nothing.

Sex in the boonies ain't that strange. The strangest thing I ever saw (or that happened to me) in the middle of nowhere was one time about 30 years ago, I got off interstate 12 going through Louisiana, and wound up at some one light town somewhere where there was nothing but a stop light and a diner/gas station/general store, and miles of swampy woods all around. I had gotten bored, and decided to take a highway all the way into New Orleans just for fun. But, once I got out a ways, I was beginning to have 2nd thoughts.

It was pitch dark except from a single light pole near the gas pump and a little light from the diner. No credit card reader on the pump, so I went into the store/diner. I could hear music playing, people talking and the usual diner type noises. The woman at the cash register said her credit card thingy didn't work so could I just pay cash. I got $20 worth of gas and a cup of coffee.

The strange thing was, as soon as I walked in the door, the juke box quit playing music (I assume it was the juke box that was playing) and all conversation stopped. I could literally feel all the eyes on me the whole time I was there. I pumped the gas and got the hell out of there. As I was leaving, there were several people at the door watching me make my exit. ---Creepy!

Had an almost identical experience coming back from a distant MX race with my dad once. We stopped for dinner and we’re planning on calling it a night there, then continuing the drive in the morning. By the time we had our dinner plates, we looked at each other and almost simultaneously said “why don’t we just push on”...

Does witnessing someone attempt to return a frozen pizza at a Walmart count? Or does Walmart get its own special category? I suppose if there's a Walmart it's probably not the boonies

Similar here. 1980s, driving from Great Falls to Reno for the air races. Cutting across SE Idaho on the secondary highways in my silver Volvo. This is arid, high plateau, 5000+ ASL, no other cars and the only evidence of humans is the rusted barbed wire fencing for miles on either side of the asphalt. I'm thinking this is great country for atomic waste dumps and missile silos, and wondering why the US Cavalry fought to take it away from the Indians. And then the low fuel warning comes on.

Finally come across a one pump gas station as we're running on fumes. Faded sign is rocking in the wind, creaking loudly. So I put on my bright red Goretex windbreaker. Pump looks like it's about the same vintage as the ones Bonnie & Clyde used to fill their Ford. One building in behind with a bar on one end with some pickups clustered around it, and a closed up shop advertising tires and guns at the other end.

We fill up the car and figure we have to go into the bar to pay. Same deal. Music and conversation stops abruptly, everyone is staring silently, I drop some cash on the bar counter and decide it would be best to get outta Dodge in our city-slicker, counter-culture Swedish made car without further delay.

Last edited:
Sometimes I fly an aircraft that has this... We see a lot of things from a long way away.
4c4d7b6343e159b87fbb99413bfa776a.jpg

90ebed715895f987421df39c9ac69ef1.jpg

f36e9b796086dbe7c943a6be70010a4c.jpg

Does witnessing someone attempt to return a frozen pizza at a Walmart count? Or does Walmart get its own special category? I suppose if there's a Walmart it's probably not the boonies
Fills in a space on your Walmart Bingo card, that’s about all

I'm skeptical but the local RV community swears this is true. I have not confirmed it. There's a grass strip West of here. Small red barn off to the side of the runway.

First low pass to alert the homeowner that there's a plane in the pattern. Second low pass she comes out and flashes the pilot.

Sounds potentially dangerous to me but if I ever decide to investigate this there will no doubt be a camera on the plane.

I'm skeptical but the local RV community swears this is true. I have not confirmed it. There's a grass strip West of here. Small red barn off to the side of the runway.

First low pass to alert the homeowner that there's a plane in the pattern. Second low pass she comes out and flashes the pilot.

Sounds potentially dangerous to me but if I ever decide to investigate this there will no doubt be a camera on the plane.
You need to coordinate with k9medic. He has very good cameras. Report back here with pics.

Forrest Gump rule definitely in play here.

Maybe 1980(?), driving cross country with a friend of mine, and my car broke down in Nitro, WV about 2am on a Sunday. The alternator pulley broke. We rolled into a small motel and rang the doorbell at the office. A minute later we see a light come on and the owner/manager comes out to see what's up. We said we needed a room for the night and that in the morning we'd figure something out for the car.

He gives us a key and we crash, hard. We'd been driving since St Louis, the first place the car broke down.

Around 7am we woke up and heard something going on outside. I looked out and there was a guy with his head under the hood of my car. I went outside to see what he was up to, he said, "The manager called me, said you had alternator trouble. I have some parts, I'll be right back." He left, and came back with a new pulley and proceeded to put it on. My buddy and I looked at each other, and even though we didn't say it out loud, we were both thinking, "Uhhh... we are two good looking young fellas in Nitro, WV, what's THIS going to cost us?"

No problem, he just asked a couple dollars for the part and said he was happy to help. That repair held another 5-6 years until my brother totaled the car.

There was a well known radio call at Ft Rucker in the early 80’s that came over Guard...” the bush is out” A women known for her body was sunbathing next to her pool at her country estate...the unpublished nap of earth route through her backyard was legendary and always got a wave and a smile...her house was well North near a stage field called Louisville.

In late 99 during a routine patrol near Banja Luka Bosnia we found Scott O’Grady F-16 four years after the shoot down. It had flown quite a ways from his ejection site and had been lost. Had to send in a team to identify but had an enlisted NG soldier who worked at the factory that could positively identify F-16 parts...an eod team blew up the AIM-9A still in the wreckage and after that really don’t know what happened as it was on a real remote hillside pancaked and not visible unless you literally were hovering over it. Truly in the boondocks...

Came across an 100+ year old abandoned swimming pool on the side of a mountain at a local state park. The pool is carved into solid rock the size of a normal residential pool, waterproofed with tar, and continually fed by a natural spring.

The strange thing is the location. It’s a good 1/4 mile hike down a very steep hill in the middle of the forest at the top of a 2,700 foot mountain. The local history says one of the original families built the pool for tourist on the way to the Indian Territories.

The strange thing was, as soon as I walked in the door, the juke box quit playing music (I assume it was the juke box that was playing) and all conversation stopped. As I was leaving, there were several people at the door watching me make my exit. ---Creepy!

You were OK ... BUT, if you heard a voice that inexplicably was identical to Rod Serling begin explaining the scenario, THEN you're in trouble;)

We fill up the car and figure we have to go into the bar to pay. Same deal. Music and conversation stops abruptly, everyone is staring silently, I drop some cash on the bar counter and decide it would be best to get outta Dodge in our city-slicker, counter-culture Swedish made car without further delay.

The other option for you two is that you were about to become organ donors without having an accident:eek::eek::eek:

If this turns out to be a 90 year old, you guys had better not upload to Youtube requiring the rest of us to get a cornea transplant:confused::confused::confused:

She won’t come out for a Grumman. :)

A college roommate was getting one of his SCUBA ratings and I was always looking for an excuse for a road trip, so we headed down to Beaver Dam Lake in Arkansas on a Friday after classes. We got there pretty late, and it was very dark trying to find the campground.

We were driving through the back roads, hoping not to hear any banjo music, and in the shadows we saw...something. We both tried to ignore it, but couldn't. After a few beers at the campground we each brought it up, not wanting to be the first. "Did you see something that looked like a dinosaur?" "Yeah, I didn't want to say anything because you'd think I was crazy."

We figured it out when we headed back on Sunday during daylight.

We had driven past Dinosaur World.

https://abandonedar.com/dinosaur-world/

On a canoe trip in Maine, we stopped to look around and came across a locomotive in the woods.

Wh0re houses. In the Kenyan Masi Mara a shack on the dusty one lane trail. In Austrian Alps, forgotten mountain road on the way to a mid-evil town. Signs in English. And the Arizona desert, about 30 min from the edge of "The Valley". Kinda the same everywhere. I guess that makes it not strange.

Came across an 100+ year old abandoned swimming pool on the side of a mountain at a local state park. The pool is carved into solid rock the size of a normal residential pool, waterproofed with tar, and continually fed by a natural spring.

The strange thing is the location. It’s a good 1/4 mile hike down a very steep hill in the middle of the forest at the top of a 2,700 foot mountain. The local history says one of the original families built the pool for tourist on the way to the Indian Territories.

I don't know if its still a thing. But, years ago, a small mountain community east of San Diego had a secret swimming hole. It was a perfectly formed rock pool that was continuously fed (a good part of the year) by a waterfall. Only one very steep trail led to it. And, it was not in a location outsiders would easily find.

Flying helicopters in the high desert, we routinely passed this particular waterfall and natural pool. And yes, the girls did on occasion, give us a quick flash and a wave.

Since I’ve spent more than half my life on a place that is twenty miles from the nearest four lane highway or railroad tracks, I don’t understand how things are different. In fact, the wild things I’ve seen have been in the city.
Wild things, like indoor plumbing? Ever try out for a Pace Picante ad? “New York CITY!??!?” :)

Flying over Jordan, MT, I saw a large concrete structure, block shaped and about the size of a school for maybe 150 students, with some weird gardens and 1960s-era construction equipment parked around it, and no roads to anywhere. As far as I can tell, it was not related to any of the 1990s militia incidents in that area, since it only showed up in the most recent Google Earth imagery. But it wouldn’t surprise me if there turned out to be some names involved in both projects.

No Bigfoot or UFO stories? You guys are holding out on us.

A teeny-tiny travel trailer towed behind an ATV in rural WV. Best I could figure is he drags it up the mountain to overnight close to his tree-stand.

In an Eskimo village in southwest Alaska I saw a red headed native kid speaking Yupik.

For those that don't know, Yupik is a very guttural language, probably the closest language to cave man talk left in existence.

I once swear I saw a lion in the interstate median in Missouri. Only got a quick glimpse of it as we were driving but for a moment I had a clear view of its face and tuff of hair on its tail. I couldn't form the words fast enough to get my wife to see it. She still doesn't believe me. Too big to be a dog, and was eating on something dead.

Back