Drunk Delta Pilot

HIMS was designed to keep airline pilots flying. The FAA favors revenue airmen at the detriment of the rest of the community in just about every aspect from aeromedical to COVID response.

HIMS was designed to keep airline pilots flying. The FAA favors revenue airmen at the detriment of the rest of the community in just about every aspect from aeromedical to COVID response.
In most cases that makes sense, but this wasn’t him getting a dui driving his car alone. He had already run thru his checklists and the plane was 100% full. I personally know part 121 guys that didn’t even get there medical back that fast and didn’t get arrested for attempting to fly a passenger plane drunk. He’s also not technically a pilot anymore since the faa stripped him of all his certificates.

Last edited:
It is important to remember that he has strong union support. He has some of the best people that know all the ins & outs to get things done correctly, and expeditiously the first time.

From talking to others at my airline, HIMS has been a successful program for us. Those that go through it are closely monitored afterwards. NO drinking allowed for the rest of your career and lots of random testing. We’ve had very few who fell off the wagon and those few lost their jobs because of it.

HIMS is one of the most successful addiction programs anywhere. Pilots who complete the program have very low relapse rates and have almost onerous restrictions placed upon them. One is they agree they can never have any alcohol again, on or off duty.

In most cases that makes sense, but this wasn’t him getting a dui driving his car alone. He had already run thru his checklists and the plane was 100% full. I personally know part 121 guys that didn’t even get there medical back that fast and didn’t get arrested for attempting to fly a passenger plane drunk. He’s also not technically a pilot anymore since the faa stripped him of all his certificates.

It appears he's got his CSEL and Instrument back.

That may have been a career altering event. If not, it should be.

I couldn’t fill a five gallon bucket with the alcohol I’ve consumed since discharge from the Army 49 years ago. That matches up well with flying. My son in law does business travel in his Baron and drinks some. I have never personally seen him violate the 8 hour bottle to throttle rule, but it concerns me.

Back