Rented pilots for your plane?

zbrown5

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Zach
I’m drumming up an idea that I’d like some hangar talk on- I have a possible periodic company mission that could use a 206h stationair but I don’t want to be the one on the hook flying it all the time for work stuff (but I will fly it for my own missions on the weekend, etc.). This is due to both the time detraction from my normal management role in the company as well as liability. We don’t have enough need company wise to justify a full time pilot on staff, but do you think there would be a pool of CFI time builder type folks, or other commercial pilots that could fly a part here or there if needed (a system goes down that we need to get a part from Omaha to western NE ASAP, for example) or shuttle a guy with a part and his tools from Omaha to a service call in BFE South Dakota if necessary?

It would keep the plane flying other than just me on the weekend, justify the corporate investment in the aircraft and not require a full time pilot on payroll unless we figure out that there is a need.

I’m not really asking about corporate structure or tax consequence, I can handle that, but asking about the logistics of “contract” pilots like this and also if anyone has any FAA insight on this. I think the FAA allows rented pilots for situations like this but that’s also something I need to brush up on.

Where do I find the pilots? FBO break room?

Go to your local flight school for leads but contact the CFIs directly. Tons of CFIs right now looking to fly more than C-172s around the pattern. If you regularly need “ASAP” flights, It may be better to have a full time pilot on staff. But if “ASAP” is at all flexible within a day or two, then contract is fine. But you do want one or two pilots that get to know the airplane, not just any ol’ commercial pilot that flies for you every other month or so. Yes a 206 is just a big Cessna, but familiarity with the aircraft is a good thing. You’re almost better finding 1 guy or gal that has the flexibility to be your sole pilot. There are vets out there that may CFI a little, contract a little, who may be available. Try airlinepilotforums.com, part 91/low time. Ask around there as well.

If this is going to be your airplane, limit and be specific about what pilots can and cannot do. Even some CFIs get stupid and can mess a plane up.

Most good contract pilot jobs are filled word of mouth. For business transportation you may or not want a low time CFI time builders. Check with your insurance company to find out what the pilot requirements will be.

Where do I find the pilots? FBO break room?

Hell, post up on here and you'll get at least a few.

Me, I'm one of the few :lol:

As above, insurance would probably be the deciding factor on experience requirements.

You may have an easier time finding a stable of on-call SR22 pilots than people current in a 206.

@zbrown5 , this is about as basic and normal of a function as you will find. I do this type of work regularly, whether it's flying people to meetings, or flying the kid home from college, or ferrying an airplane to maintenance, whatever. Contract flying is a great thing for someone like me who wants to remain flexible.

You do want to limit the number of pilots you have flying for you, for some of the reasons stated above. You will want to find pilots you like and not just have a bunch of random people flying for you. The temptation to only have one pilot on call is strong, especially if you find someone you like. But remember, this is contract flying, so they are free to turn down the flight for any reason - schedule conflicts being the primary reason (you're likely not the only person they're flying for). Generally, the people I fly for give me a few days' notice, and I can typically work with them if we need to adjust the times. But if your needs are last-minute and inflexible, you will probably want to have a couple of pilots on call.

Straightforward... you can pay any pilot with a commercial single engine land and a 2nd class medical to do this work.

Your insurance might have some restrictions however, so talk with them. It may be a good idea to add the pilots to your policy instead of utilizing the open pilot clause, so there are no surprises. Adding someone is usually as simple as having them fill out a 1 page pilot history form and send it to your agent. That way you are not liable for verifying they meet the open pilot clause.

Adding someone is usually as simple as having them fill out a 1 page pilot history form and send it to your agent.

OP, this is absolutely standard and expected. I fill out about one insurance form a month for various purposes. And I second getting them as named on your policy.

Why would I rent a pilot when I can fly her myself?

He said why right in his post:

...but I don’t want to be the one on the hook flying it all the time for work stuff (but I will fly it for my own missions on the weekend, etc.). This is due to both the time detraction from my normal management role in the company as well as liability.

Because you're not paying her to fly, you're paying her to leave when the plane lands..

We are talking about airplanes and flying right????? :p:D;):)

Passengers or not, isn’t IR required to do anything ‘commercial’ beyond 50 miles from departure point?
No, just with passengers. (Assuming the Part 91 ops of the OP.) the passenger-carrying limitation also applies at night, even within the 50-mile radius.

Last edited:
Requiring the pilots to have an instrument rating will greatly increase the number of days available for your missions. It'll also reduce insurance premiums. I would look for pilots with actual, rather than simulated instrument time. There's a difference.

If you are looking for familiarity of plane - consider talking to a local parachute ops. They usually have a couple pilots that do the work

Back