Garmi G5 HSI heading bug question

BrianNC

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
BrianATL
The club 172 just had dual G5s installed (and the 430 upgraded to WAAS). The heading bug doesn't move very fast on the HSI when twisting the knob, and it could be a little larger or more visible to these eyes.

Is there any way to change the speed of the heading bug when twisting the knob and change the size to make it a little larger? Been looking through the manual online and haven't found it.

Pretty sure - no. The think it does move faster when you turn the knob faster though (Ie the amount it moves per “click” seems to be increased)

Yes, that is correct...push and hold for about 1 second and it "springs" to the current heading.

The push and hold action to select current heading is handy. And I recommend that you do this frequently in flight so that when you disengage GPSS your aircraft doesn't turn to some random heading unexpectedly if the AP is left in heading mode. (Been there done that, fortunately in VFR conditions.) It also marks a heading readout you can use for winds aloft calculations.

The push and hold action to select current heading is handy. And I recommend that you do this frequently in flight so that when you disengage GPSS your aircraft doesn't turn to some random heading unexpectedly if the AP is left in heading mode. (Been there done that, fortunately in VFR conditions.) It also marks a heading readout you can use for winds aloft calculations.

Yeah, that's the one good thing this thread has revealed. I'll use that for sure, for the reason you state, the AP.

Another thing was having a hard time seeing what radial I was placing the bug on due to other stuff being in the way. But I assume there is a display somewhere on the HSI or the AI that's showing the radial the bug is on as I'm turning it. Just didn't think about it at the time and didn't look.

Duh. Can't remember if I ever noticed that or not. lol.
To be fair, it's not an ideal location and I find it a bit annoying. The G1000 and SN3308 put that field right up top next to the actual heading, which I find makes a lot more sense. I suppose the one good thing about the G5's placement is that it's next to the knob, but it doesn't help with my scan.

Screenshot 2020-11-24 093443.png

I went up again today and I noticed that when you turn the bug, the heading temporarily also shows up on the altitude indicator while you are turning the bug.

As far as holding down the button on the HSI to quickly move the bug to the top, works like a charm. That really helped.

Attachments

• plane4.png
    plane4.png
    975 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
The G5 HSI display could be optimized, IMO. Maybe something like this: Heading bug at the top to the right of Heading, TRK to the left of Heading, CRS bottom left, and ETE bottom right. That would complete the HSI for me :) Can always hope...

The G5 HSI display could be optimized, IMO. Maybe something like this: Heading bug at the top to the right of Heading, TRK to the left of Heading, CRS bottom left, and ETE bottom right. That would complete the HSI for me :) Can always hope...

Don’t give software devs any ideas. You’ll end up with them moving everything around forever at every software update. LOL Job security.

Back