I love retractable gear airplanes

Learned something new this morning! Very interesting.
Anybody know if Piper does the same with the Malibu piston airframes?

no equivalent on the piston PA46 versions. Not sure why except maybe since the Meridian was certified 15 years after the Malibu? Had more time to think about stuff.

Is the center section a fuel tank too? Most jets the entire wing including the center "wing box" is all a fuel tank. Some of them have large composite fairings screwed to them and the antennas are mounted to the fairing and localized steel plates glued to the fuel tank skins to prevent antennas rupturing the fuel tank skins if those belly antennas were to be smashed up into the wing.

No fuel in the belly of a Meridian, and no fuel lines or fuel source in the pressure vessel.

I was just watching a video on the new Daimondstar DA 50 RG and it made me think of just how much I love RG airplanes. I know from a safety standpoint and maintenance standpoint they just are not as safe or easy on maintenance but there is just something about have the gear tucked.

I had a Grumman AA1 prior to buying my Comanche and while the fixed gear was fine I just love reaching over and hitting the gear switch. Sometimes on a twilight take off when the sun is just right I will get a nice shadow effect and can watch the gear go up.

I still find myself saying, "gear coming up" or "gear coming down" as I reach for the switch even if no one is in the plane with me. I know its dorky...but...I love it.

How about you?

It is often said...... um... you're not a real pilot if your wheels don't fold. ;)

Back