Near miss Lebanon Tennessee KM54

CharlieD3

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
CharlieD3
Sorry, it's a link to facebook... audio from two PIC (one, a student) taking off from opposite runways. Possibly a third pilot involved in the radio chatter, and an instructor on the ground)

See below....

Last edited:
The link takes me to a closed group, so I can’t see anything without joining it.

Just to pick a nit, do alphanumeric airport IDs actually have a K in front of them? ;)

Anybody else observe some hazardous attitudes! Anti-authority, Macho, and maybe invulnerability.
Ya'll play nice out there.

Just to pick a nit, do alphanumeric airport IDs actually have a K in front of them? ;)
Prolly not, though I think Avare requires me to add the K. And I want all the ferriners to know where to go in Tennessee!

Nope, I was wrong again! Avare doesn't require the k to find the airport.

Man, too many senior moments lately.

Anybody else observe some hazardous attitudes! Anti-authority, Macho, and maybe invulnerability.
Yeah, I thought there might be fisticuffs in the door yard tween the instructor and the feller taking off on 1.

What Facebook group was it posted in and when did this happen?

Wow. That was crazy. What a phallus. I love the “I got u”.

Near Miss Lebanon?

Screen Shot 2020-11-18 at 7.52.38 PM.jpg

Not as far as FAA or ICAO are concerned, but they are displayed that way in some weather reporting media that arbitrarily stick a 'K' on all airports in the Continental US.

OK, picture in your minds the kind of douchebag at the controls of the Bonanza. Are you picturing a 100% douchebag? Yes? OK then. Behold.

LOL, holy crap. You can take off from which ever runway you want at an uncontrolled field, that's why it's called "uncontolled", but a couple of these guys were real pieces of work.

They do when trying to find METAR and TAF data at aviationweather.gov

Without the "K":
Screenshot_20201118-203941_Firefox.jpg

With the "K":Screenshot_20201118-203904_Firefox.jpg

Using the opposite runway that existing traffic is using can be his (poor) choice if done safely, but this is a good example of how not to go about it. Sarcastically questioning all others use of runway 19; stating he was taking off runway 1 only seconds after the Cessna announces he is taking off runway 19, which makes it sound like a collision is imminent; criticizing the student pilot for his radio communications. This is not what GA needs.

Last edited:
You can take off from which ever runway you want at an uncontrolled field, that's why it's called "uncontolled"

I prefer to call a non towered field a "pilot controlled" field but this mess sounds like it's not only uncontrolled but off the chain ...

Wonder if he took up the CFI's invitation to a one-on-one meet up...? ;)

Had something similar happen to me @ KAWO where all traffic was racetracking for 16 and all of the sudden 2 guys want to do a flight of 2 from 34... Taught me to expect anything at any time in uncontrolled, leave a way out, and have a plan.

It would appear the YouTube owner has limited who can view or removed it. Or they’re editing it. Playback error.

It would appear the YouTube owner has limited who can view or removed it. Or they’re editing it. Playback error.

You mean the one in post #4? Still working here....

I get the playback error as well
It still plays for me. I dubbed it (so, it's "mine" I own this version of it, sorta) and my channel on YouTube is public.

I haven't tried it on the desktop, works on my phone....?

Works on mine.
Warning watch the language

Using the opposite runway that existing traffic is using can be his (poor) choice if done safely, but this is a good example of how not to go about it. Sarcastically questioning all others use of runway 19; stating he was taking off runway 1 only seconds after the Cessna announces he is taking off runway 19, which makes it sound like a collision is imminent; criticizing the student pilot for his radio communications. This is not what GA needs.
I have to believe it was less confusing for the folks who were actually there. Otherwise the instructor should probably have a conversation with his student about the potential for being dead right.

Near Miss Lebanon?

View attachment 91936

Not as far as FAA or ICAO are concerned, but they are displayed that way in some weather reporting media that arbitrarily stick a 'K' on all airports in the Continental US.
I thought the same thing as the picture when I read the thread title. :)

I have to believe it was less confusing for the folks who were actually there. Otherwise the instructor should probably have a conversation with his student about the potential for being dead right.

Do you mean about him taking off on RWY01? It is a 5000 foot runway and the other airplane on either end can blend in with the surroundings. He did say, “departing 01”, and if I were there I’d think he was actually on the runway applying takeoff power or seconds away from that unless I was near him and saw otherwise.

When you listen to the entire tape the only thing clear to me is that everyone (and there were multiple planes before this occurred and several during the event) was using 19 and there was a Bonanza that had intentions of departing 01. Once that radio call stating he was departing 01 went out it did get crazy. The person that spoke up and said abort did the right thing, even if they were arriving without eyeballs at the airport.

Last edited:
I prefer to call a non towered field a "pilot controlled" field but this mess sounds like it's not only uncontrolled but off the chain ...

Yup, if I heard that going on while I was getting ready to take off, I'd shut down and get a cup of coffee.

They do when trying to find METAR and TAF data at aviationweather.gov
Idiotic government. They cram mindless ICAO regulations down our throats and then they fail to follow it. NO METAR ID should have any digits in it. NO airport id of the form KXXX where there's a digit in the X places should exist. There are three forms of legal airport ID in the (conterminous) US:

1. KXXX where all the X are letters. These are ICAO compliant.
2. Two letters corresponding to USPS state abbreviations and two numbers, such as MD50 to 5NC5
3. Two digits with a letter like 2W5 and I90. The letter is supposed to correspond to the overlying ARTCC facility.

Unfortunately, there are places like BQ1 (not compliant with any of those) and things like W10 (which is a compliant ID but in the wrong ARTCC, W = Washington DC, W10 is in Washington State).

Then you get the things you noticed where METARS get non ICAO-compliant codes inserted in them.

Nope.
Only as far as the FAA is concerned. ICAO doesn't support such. You mean contiguous (i.e., lower 48). Alaska and Hawaii both use Pxxx based ICAO ids.

Last edited:
Maybe he needs an attitude adjustment. Sounds like the instructor offered him one. Picking a fight over a runway is about as stupid as it gets.

Plane is owned by MAISANO ABBY of HENDERSONVILLE , TN

img.axd

Small nit to pick...why do they call it a near miss? A near miss would mean that it almost missed, but BANG, you hit it dead on. A better term would be a near hit.

Small nit to pick...why do they call it a near miss? A near miss would mean that it almost missed, but BANG, you hit it dead on. A better term would be a near hit.

Indeed...

Yes, he's funnier than I am.

Back