VOR-B approach to minimums and IMC practice (video)

Tokirbymd

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Tokirbymd
In the nature of encouraging discussion rather than simply posting click bait, here is a nice video of vor approach that doesn’t align with the runway, breaking out at minimums with circle. I didn’t descend fast enough and almost went missed because of it. Some other mistakes on rnav approaches as well. All in IMC. I’m no CFII and am continuing to learn from this site as well as others. IFR rating only 8 mo old, did an IPC a few months ago but haven’t gotten much actual experience. Definitely a different game

Nice video. Curious if you were at pattern altitude when you cancelled IFR? I’ve been taught not to cancel in case you have to go missed back into IMC. If, however you can stay in the pattern at correct altitude then certainly less risk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice video. Curious if you were at pattern altitude when you cancelled IFR? I’ve been taught not to cancel in case you have to go missed back into IMC. If, however you can stay in the pattern at correct altitude then certainly less risk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That was probably around 800 feet AGL. We had a discussion on the Facebook instrument flying group about this. I felt like I could easily land however the majority of those on the Facebook group felt like if the ceilings were below VFR minimums that you should stay IFR until you are on the ground.

Back