The End of an Era - Shutting Down Cloud Nine

I was recently on a long road trip, and to occupy the time when not driving, I took a huge stack of magazines that I hadn’t had time to read at home.

As it happened, I opened a 2018 AOPA Pilot to the article they ran on Cloud Nine. It was a very nice write-up

Reactions: Ted
I was recently on a long road trip, and to occupy the time when not driving, I took a huge stack of magazines that I hadn’t had time to read at home.

As it happened, I opened a 2018 AOPA Pilot to the article they ran on Cloud Nine. It was a very nice write-up

The timing on that article was funny. Jill Tallman had written an article on Cloud Nine in 2010 (published in the Jan 2011 issue) right after we got the 310 donated. She came with me on a flight in the 414 and saw just how grueling the trips were. Between the trip she came on and the time it got published, the acquisition of the MU2 occurred. I think she put in there that the 414 was for sale - it sold in 2 weeks, well before the magazine was published.

I still have to have that article framed like we did with the Jan 2011 article.

...They also think that the idea of buying a J-3 Cub is stupid because it only holds two people and would be slow and stupid and dad that's the stupidest thing ever have I said stupid enough? :) ...

Sounds familiar. When I was a teenager my Dad wasn't all that smart either.
I was amazed at how much he learned and how much smarter he became in the few short years to the time I hit my early 20s. ;)

Reactions: Ted
It's been a bit over three months since I made the decision to shut down Cloud Nine. Although doing so felt like an immediate weight off my shoulders, I also knew that it wasn't going to mean an immediate reduction in workload, I figured it would take about 6 months before that would actually reduce. It's about tracking towards that.

Yesterday I distributed the last of the funds and closed down the Cloud Nine bank account. It felt a bit weird looking at the balance and seeing it at $0, right back where it started when I opened the first account over 11 years ago. But that also means that I can get rid of that checkbook, those cards in my wallet. I no longer have to worry about updating the books.

Next on the list is the IRS filings for 2020, marked "Final Return." Then, assuming the IRS agrees everything's been done correctly, it'll be finished and I can move on.

I've started writing the book on the experience. One of my friends has helped me with the outline and layout, so I'm going through my initial chapters. I'm enjoying the process of writing down my thoughts and remembering the history, especially the early days. They were exciting times, and writing them down helps to rekindle some good memories. In the early days I knew that I was living in what I would later remember as some of the best times of my life. I was right.

But that also means that I can get rid of that checkbook, those cards in my wallet. I no longer have to worry about updating the books.

No no no. Those are supposed to go in “that” desk drawer with the other four closed account’s checkbooks and stuff! Forever! LOL.

Looking forward to the book.

Who do you think Hollywood will get to play you in the movie? :)

TalkativeAcrobaticBarracuda-size_restricted.gif

I just want to add to this thread. I haven't been on this website for years but something told me to just lurk for a bit. Then I came up on this. I had the honor of working with Ted for a while. Whenever I talk about him, I always say he one of the smartest hardest working people I know. I got the chance to fly missions in the Aztec when he got his 310 and I consider myself super lucky to have done so. What was it? About 6 months or a year @Ted ? Anyway, I caught a glimpse of what he got to do with the whole thing and it was amazing. Definitely times I will never forget and still brag about! I was never a CFI so that was probably the most valuable flying I've ever done for both experience and satisfaction. I also got to do some of the gnarliest flying I've ever done with Cloud 9. We still bring up the Cozumel trip every January 16th! Permanent Man Card! It helped me get my career started and save lives, but I also made lifelong friends with Ted and Laurie. When I got a job offer flying a Lear for a small operation, I called Ted to tell him that I'd have to be tethered to my phone and wouldn't be able to do as many missions. He said "oh good, because I have to sell the Aztec". So the timing was actually perfect. I'm now an FO at JetBlue and I owe that in part to Ted and Cloud 9. Cheers my brother!! This is me and Ted in Cozumel.

Attachments

• IMG_3949.JPG
    IMG_3949.JPG
    89.5 KB · Views: 65
True. It might take Matt a while to grow it out.

Chris Hemsworth would be able to make the movie a lot sooner than Matt Damon, but he's still got a ways to grow...

Ken Ibold wrote a book (he is/was a member on POA):

https://www.amazon.com/Defying-Gravity-Ken-Ibold/dp/161663877X

I have a copy. It's a nice set of small vignettes about flying.

I have that one too - And I recognize myself in a couple of the stories, which is pretty cool. :)

I just want to add to this thread. I haven't been on this website for years but something told me to just lurk for a bit. Then I came up on this. I had the honor of working with Ted for a while. Whenever I talk about him, I always say he one of the smartest hardest working people I know. I got the chance to fly missions in the Aztec when he got his 310 and I consider myself super lucky to have done so. What was it? About 6 months or a year @Ted ? Anyway, I caught a glimpse of what he got to do with the whole thing and it was amazing. Definitely times I will never forget and still brag about! I was never a CFI so that was probably the most valuable flying I've ever done for both experience and satisfaction. I also got to do some of the gnarliest flying I've ever done with Cloud 9. We still bring up the Cozumel trip every January 16th! Permanent Man Card! It helped me get my career started and save lives, but I also made lifelong friends with Ted and Laurie. When I got a job offer flying a Lear for a small operation, I called Ted to tell him that I'd have to be tethered to my phone and wouldn't be able to do as many missions. He said "oh good, because I have to sell the Aztec". So the timing was actually perfect. I'm now an FO at JetBlue and I owe that in part to Ted and Cloud 9. Cheers my brother!! This is me and Ted in Cozumel.

@Danos!!! How have you been? Glad to hear you're living the dream!

Personally, I think a Cub is stupid too. Ted's son is onto something. They're really expensive for what they are. I'd rather a Taylorcraft, or better yet a Luscombe. Actually be able to look at the person you're flying with.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Yep, I remember two particular lines from that day very well:

"Hey, there's our high school!"

and

"Is it OK to fly when you're pregnant?"

I do remember that the bride really wanted a ride too, but her husband-to-be *wouldn't let her.* I bet that marriage didn't last.

"Is it OK to fly when you're pregnant?"
I used to fly with someone who took a type ride into her 9th month...she was fairly short and fairly, um, expanded. I’m pretty sure she had the examiner push the rudder pedal on her V1 cut, cause she couldn’t get her seat far enough forward. ;)

Back