Cars That Were Once Airplanes...

Lowflynjack

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Jack Fleetwood
Could be a fun topic. Add the ones you can find to this thread!

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/...-all-custom-builds-are-born-equal-151365.html

You could own a Cirrus car...
plane-car-4-800.jpg

Or, you could get a Cessna 421 truck...
maxresdefault.jpg

Or a Cessna 310 car...
BN-UM554_MYRIDE_M_20170731141002.jpg

Or a Lear limo...
maxresdefault.jpg

This is only interesting if you did the photos, Jack!

but admit that you’ve thought of car-to-car photos while rolling down the highway.
Maybe sometimes! A friend of mine does documentaries. He was talking about doing one on the Banditos. I pictured myself riding on a trailer behind a truck with those guys riding all around me while I'm snapping shots... all kind of adrenaline in that scenario and I'm definitely addicted! Trailer-to-Bike shots!

They missed Thomas Midgley Jr.

Nope, he's on there.

Thomas Midgley, Jr. (1889–1944) was an American engineer and chemist who contracted polio at age 51, leaving him severely disabled. He devised an elaborate system of ropes and pulleys to help others lift him from bed. He became accidentally entangled in the ropes and died of strangulation at the age of 55. However, he is better known for two of his other inventions: the tetraethyl lead (TEL) additive to gasoline, and chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs).

Nope, he's on there.

Thomas Midgley, Jr. (1889–1944) was an American engineer and chemist who contracted polio at age 51, leaving him severely disabled. He devised an elaborate system of ropes and pulleys to help others lift him from bed. He became accidentally entangled in the ropes and died of strangulation at the age of 55. However, he is better known for two of his other inventions: the tetraethyl lead (TEL) additive to gasoline, and chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs).
Oops. Must have skimmed by too fast to catch that entry.

Good "nice day" rides. I bet the handling in a gusty crosswind of some of these are just awesome. Especially those that kept the vertical stabilizer. I had flash backs to the days that I had a VW bus. OK most of the time. But the days that I took her across a five mile causeway on the north end of Pensacola bay with a good breeze out of the S.E. were memorable. Had to slow to 40 when everybody else was in the 60's.

Now this is what I am talkin' about.!!!

This Rockwell Commander, N1349J was scrapped after an engine failure forced a highway landing in Nevada in 1994, according to the NTSB report.

Airplane-Monster-Truck.jpg

Airplane-Monster-Truck-3.jpg

That nose section was from N2475 one of Continental Airlines early 727's and the first jet that Continental/Air Micronesia used. My Dad flew it, I rode in the cockpit a few times and once in the DC-6B in the video below. The video below was taken a little before my Dad got out there. He was there in 1973 and again in the late 70's/early 80's.

Back