Sexism in aviation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
20 years ago when I briefly considered getting on with the Airlines, before the pilot shortage, I asked a captain at one of the airlines what I could do to give me the best chance of getting hired. I expected him to say something like build up my multi engine and instrument time and Turbine time if possible. Instead you told me to get a College Degree (in anything, 4 year degree in Basket weaving would be fine) and become Black and Female.

Yes, sexism does indeed exist. No, it will probably not hamper any career opportunities that you may have. As the younger generation begins to pick up and carry the torch in aviation I expect things will continue to get better for women in aviation.

If you are on facebook there is a group called Ladies In Flight Training (LIFT) It's often recommended and from what I hear an excellent resource.

Yes, sexism does indeed exist. No, it will probably not hamper any career opportunities that you may have. As the younger generation begins to pick up and carry the torch in aviation I expect things will continue to get better for women in aviation.

If you are on facebook there is a group called Ladies In Flight Training (LIFT) It's often recommended and from what I hear an excellent resource.

As a man would I be welcomed to join ladies in flight training? I wonder.

There’s some degree of sexism in everything. There’s bias in everything. Some make a living out of focusing on the bias. Some make a living ignoring the bias. Some make a living explicitly breaking the bias. Sadly, some also make a living by creating the bias. You choose for yourself.

Sigh.

We hoped this thread would be constructive, but it’s apparent that many here just can’t handle a mature discussion about a serious subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back